After spending the past year or two on Android devices and an iPhone, I ended up with a Blackberry temporarily. I have to say that I completely miss typing and responding to email in portrait mode. Without a doubt, it's just so much easier to get them out and move on efficiently.

That said, I moved away from BB years ago because I needed to use a web browser regularly and the lack of a touch screen was a killer. I was excited to read about the Torch and thought "maybe, just maybe, RIM was getting wiser." I was incredibly disappointed to see that, once again, RIM seems to think that it can offer minimal incremental upgrades and continue to get users to buy more phones than they would by providing more modern specs and not believe that users won't just say "see ya!" to their Blackberry investment. Case in point is how poor the Curve has been upgraded over the years -- still a pitiful, low resolution screen... not even as many pixels as my old Treo had!!!

I haven't yet used the Torch but figured I'd ask honest advice here from those who may have used the iPhone and Android phones. At this time I'm still linked with Verizon but might move if the right Blackberry phone came out or if you guys have been relatively satisfied with the Torch and that ended up at Verizon as a World Phone like the Tour and Bold. I'm very worried about the low resolution and, from what I'm told, is an underwhelming processor. Surfing web pages these days requires higher power as many sites will throw more data and what killed me with almost all my Blackberries was how slow rendering was on these devices. Is there a newer, higher resolution Torch making its way onto the scene?

Anyways, all opinions are appreciated. Odd how much I realize I miss the 8330 keyboard.... and RIM should never have "improved" it with the Bold.
    03-14-11 12:15 AM
    I had an iphone and after getting bored with it I decided to learn a different platform and I had an upgrade so I picked the torch and I absolutely love it the touchscreen keyboard had a bit of a curve for me but the physical keyboard is quite wonderful. In my opinion the screen looks very nice and web browsing is very smooth after I updated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-11 03:29 AM
    if it did at all, it would be years before torch came to verizon since its an att exclusive, look how long it to for iphone to get there, the virtual keyboard in horizon and portrait mode is excellent ( really need to have latest OS installed ) web page loads are quick, and sharp. i have two members of my family who use carriers other than ATT, one droid on sprint one iphone on tmo (unlocked) and i always hear them whining about how the phones suck. to each his own
    03-15-11 02:47 PM
    I got my torch in Oct, of 2010. Wife has the Iphone and i hate it. Give the Keyboard any day. Browser is good and easy to get around. The best part is the battery life is much better on the Torch and guss what the phone part works like a phone (lol). Android devices and an iPhone phone part $ucks should just get a ipad if that what your looking for.
    03-18-11 01:47 PM
    After spending the past year or two on Android devices and an iPhone, I ended up with a Blackberry temporarily. I have to say that I completely miss typing and responding to email in portrait mode. Without a doubt, it's just so much easier to get them out and move on efficiently.

That said, I moved away from BB years ago because I needed to use a web browser regularly and the lack of a touch screen was a killer. I was excited to read about the Torch and thought "maybe, just maybe, RIM was getting wiser." I was incredibly disappointed to see that, once again, RIM seems to think that it can offer minimal incremental upgrades and continue to get users to buy more phones than they would by providing more modern specs and not believe that users won't just say "see ya!" to their Blackberry investment. .

um... isnt that the same thing with all the iFads and Andriod phones... minminal upgrades but everyone wows over it being 'magical'?

Curve is made for entry level if you want top line Bold/Torch is the way to go...

doubt Verizon will be getting a Torch (they're CDMA as I recall...) Perhaps maybe in the future?

The processor is as good as how it is used... OS efficiency is equally as important as your processor speed. You can have quad cores in your phone but if it isnt program efficently it could still be slower than a single core phone.... and at the same time have really poor power mgmt.

BBs are a bit slower rendering websites because they compress the data first (to save YOU on data charges)... Also I've found bbs have been running a lot faster using the free Opera browser...

Hope that answers some of your many questions.
    03-18-11 02:00 PM
    Storm 3 + Torch 2 are already on the leaked roadmap.

I'd say torch 2 is very, very unlikely on VZ, but the S3 will happen and they are both higher res + new processors.
    03-18-11 02:08 PM
    Since RIM will be coming out with new models later this year (May/June through the fall), I'd go ahead and wait on the new models to see what Verizon gets. The new models will have more modern specs. I love my Torch, but knowing there are new models only a few months away, if there's not an urgent need for a new phone, might as well wait.
    03-18-11 02:12 PM
    I don't think it's going to be much of a surprise what vz gets.

Storm 3 + bold touch. Torch2 likely won't happen and curve touch seems kinda unlikely with the storm3, but it's possible (but for your case i doubt you'd buy it over the storm3 anyways).
    03-18-11 03:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD