So I thought I'd share this as it may be useful to someone in the future (or now).

Today I was having new carpets put in my house, so I moved all of my furniture out of the house and slept on my mattress on the floor. I had a Coke last night and unfortunately didn't finish it and forgot to throw it away - so it was on the floor. Well, this morning, I woke up and the first thing I saw was my 14 month old son playing in a spilled stain of coke - not bad, but i'm getting new carpets so who cares - but then I saw the worst part - my 9800 sitting in the middle of the stain with sticky Coke goodness all over it. So I did what every Blackberry lover would do - jumped up and pulled the battery (it was still working) and started to clean it off with rubbing alcohol. It seemed clean, looked good - but then I realized the phone no longer slid effortlessly up and down - two hands were needed to open and close the slider - damn the coke got into the sliding mechanism.

So I did some research - found this video:

Then while the carpet people were working, ran out to my closest Lowes and got the smallest torque screw driver set I could find. In the video to at least reach the sliding mechanism you need a T6 and T3. The T6 was easy - but noone locally had anything smaller than a T4 So...i decided to give a try anyways. The end result:

The video was very very very good and descriptive. Although it says you need a T3, the T4 driver was perfect. I was successfully able to remove the warranty tag (probably the hardest part - i used a precision knife and put it on wax paper), open the phone up, take the screen off and clean all of the effected parts with rubbing alcohol. Just put it back together after it dried and, to my relief - it works! So, if this ever happens to anyone - there may be hope - as long as you're willing to take a little bit of a risk.

Oh and as a side note, in the the video, it shows that the screen part of the slider is attached to the keyboard (or bottom) part of the slider by 6 T3(or T4) screws. These things are tiny - but tightening them when putting the phone back together DID reduce the amount of wobble my screen has. It did not resolve all of the wobble (and i determined that it cannot be completely fixed because of how to slider works), but its much better than it was before I did this. In fact, before all this happened, I had put 2 strips of electrical tape on the back of the screen part to help lessen the wobble (this was recommended in another post somewhere in the forums). After reassembling the phone and tightening those 6 screws, I couldn't close the slider without removing that electrical tape - so it is definitely tighter and less wobbly afterwards.

Sorry for my long story, but hopefully somebody will be able to use this post if the same happens to them!

09-30-10 12:25 PM
    if that happened to me, in a heartbeat i would have returned the 14 month old.
    09-30-10 12:28 PM
    Lol cant, its past the 30 day window.

Sorry to hear about your phone, hope all works well again!

first week i had my 9700 i had a pint spilt on it at the pub! still works great!

You do realize though you just murdered your warranty
    09-30-10 12:31 PM
    Lol cant, its past the 30 day window.

Sorry to hear about your phone, hope all works well again!

first week i had my 9700 i had a pint spilt on it at the pub! still works great!

You do realize though you just murdered your warranty
    Nah - thats why taking the warranty sticker off was so hard - because i wanted to preserve it. It is safely attached to a piece of wax paper so that if I ever needed to return it - i'll just stick it back on. No worries
    09-30-10 12:40 PM
    Nah - thats why taking the warranty sticker off was so hard - because i wanted to preserve it. It is safely attached to a piece of wax paper so that if I ever needed to return it - i'll just stick it back on. No worries
    lets just hope you were ginger on the torx, because they look at torx wear too.
    09-30-10 12:41 PM
    lets just hope you were ginger on the torx, because they look at torx wear too.
    good point. fortunately i was very careful because i figured i may need to open it up again sometime in the future.
    09-30-10 12:53 PM
    how horrible!!! I'm glad you were able to find a fix! WOW
    09-30-10 01:40 PM
    Too funny!!
    09-30-10 03:06 PM
    Hate to see you have to go through all that, but at least we have some more confirmation that tightening the screws helps the wiggle.
    09-30-10 04:47 PM
    Lol.. way to save that Torch! Thanks for taking the time to post.
    09-30-10 04:52 PM
    That's a very nice job taking that sucker apart. Props man.
    09-30-10 05:01 PM
    Hate to see you have to go through all that, but at least we have some more confirmation that tightening the screws helps the wiggle.
    Yeah, you know the more i've used it today, the more i feel that it fixed the wobble. I mean it does wobble a tiny bit - if i intentionally try to make it wobble - but nowhere near how much it wobbled before. I think for most phones tightening those 6 screws will improve the wobble by a ton.

Lol.. way to save that Torch! Thanks for taking the time to post.
    That's a very nice job taking that sucker apart. Props man.
    Thanks guys - it was a LOT easier than i thought it would be
    Last edited by brendonlee; 09-30-10 at 05:14 PM.
    09-30-10 05:12 PM
    Yeah, you know the more i've used it today, the more i feel that it fixed the wobble. I mean it does wobble a tiny bit - if i intentionally try to make it wobble - but nowhere near how much it wobbled before. I think for most phones tightening those 6 screws will improve the wobble by a ton.

Do you mean wobble with screen closed or open? Closed mine will wobble side to side a little, but opened it is rock solid.
    09-30-10 05:52 PM
    Great job on the fix! It's comforting to hear that it was easy in case I ever need to fix mine. I just hope I just never have to.
    09-30-10 06:11 PM
    Do you mean wobble with screen closed or open? Closed mine will wobble side to side a little, but opened it is rock solid.
    I mean with screen closed and wobble up and down not side to side - I doubt this would fix a side to side wiggle since its probably the entire mechanism that is loose instead of a loose connection between the top and bottom halves of the phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-10 06:40 PM
    I mean with screen closed and wobble up and down not side to side - I doubt this would fix a side to side wiggle since its probably the entire mechanism that is loose instead of a loose connection between the top and bottom halves of the phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Okay, thanks. I'll leave it alone then. Hasn't started to get any worse so hopefully it stays that way.
    09-30-10 07:10 PM
    "I realized the phone no longer slid effortlessly up and down - two hands were needed to open and close the slider - damn the coke got into the sliding mechanism. "

You just may have found a "solution" to the loose slider issue!!! LOL!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/sl...-tight-534353/
    10-01-10 01:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD