newb question.....

I bought a third party car charger that's 1000 mAh....but the oem wall charger I have is 750 mAh....is it ok to use it to charge my phone?

I think this this should be fine...but just want to be sure....

thx
    04-20-11 01:48 AM
    Yeah it's ok. 1000mA is more and better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-11 06:35 AM
    Should be fine, but a word of caution. I would keep an eye on it while it charges. While it does put out more mAh it might charge the battery too fast and cause battery issues later on down the road.
    04-20-11 06:37 AM
    I can't remember where, but I remember reading something about using non-OEM chargers. I think it was in a thread about someones battery. Anyways, I read that, as homer said, it could charge it too fast, and could cause issues with the battery later on.
    04-20-11 06:39 AM
    I have head nightmares about NON-OEM car chargers. A friend actually had the charger catch fire and discolor the console
    04-20-11 06:54 AM
    I have head nightmares about NON-OEM car chargers. A friend actually had the charger catch fire and discolor the console
    This is exactly what happens to lithium batteries when there either overcharged or charged at a higher rate then what it was designed to be charged at.

Trust me I've seen it numerous times. Even had a friend who burnt his garage down charging his lithium polymer r/c batteries with a charger not designed for his type of batteries.
    04-20-11 07:08 AM
    This is exactly what happens to lithium batteries when there either overcharged or charged at a higher rate then what it was designed to be charged at.

Trust me I've seen it numerous times. Even had a friend who burnt his garage down charging his lithium polymer r/c batteries with a charger not designed for his type of batteries.

Wow.. Really? I knew it wasn't really good for the battery to be charged with something it wasn't designed to be charged by, but I didn't think it would literally make them explode. That's good to know. I'm glad I'm happy with my charger and battery.
    04-20-11 07:13 AM
    Lithium ion(whats in our phones) aren't as volatile as lithium polymer(what we use primarily in r/c) , but they can still explode if overcharged with something that doesn't have a circuit that shuts off the charging when the battery is full, or charges at a higher rate then what the battery was designed for.
    Last edited by homer1475; 04-20-11 at 07:18 AM.
    Technerd.McLeod likes this.
    04-20-11 07:16 AM
    I always use the OEM charger whether it be a wall charger or a car charger. That way this is not an issue. As long as it is compatible with the Torch, it should not matter. For me, I would rather be safe than sorry. Saving a few bucks on a non-OEM charger is not worth the risk.
    04-20-11 12:42 PM
    wow, maybe I shouldnt use the charger untill i really have to......
    04-22-11 03:36 AM
    wow, maybe I shouldnt use the charger untill i really have to......
    Just spend a bit more money and buy an official OEM car charger from RIM and you will have peace of mind and not need to worry.
    04-22-11 09:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD