This phone is going back to AT&T Today because every time I talk on the phone for more than a couple minutes, the phone gets very hot and wont take a charge. I notice if I hold it over my air conditioner vent in my car, it cools off and then takes a charge. I can't imagine that is part of the design of the phone, so, hopefully a replacement will cure the problem. Question to you all, has anyone else noticed that when their torch gets as hot as a torch, it doesn't take a charge?
    08-22-10 12:58 PM
    That has happened to me on a variety of devices that have a heat protection circuit, like my 9000 or my laptop. I think lithium batteries would be trashed if charged when they are hot.

EDIT: Probably shouldn't be happening after a few minutes on the phone though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by maxiang; 08-22-10 at 01:10 PM.
    08-22-10 01:08 PM
    Yo Max! How's open Bold coming along?

08-22-10 01:31 PM
    Try downloading BatteryWatch for free, or Meterberry and monitor your battery temps while attempting to charge. Mine won't take a charge at 100+, but works fantastically from 70-99*.

08-22-10 02:31 PM
    Well, I exchanged the phone today...same problem with this new one. If I'm on the phone for more than 5 minutes, the phone's charging indicator (lightning bolt) shuts off and it won't take a charge. What good is a phone that won't charge while its on a call? I don't know...do you? I don't.......do youuuuuu? First major bug with this phone, it will forever be plugged in. Ah well. And I'm still waiting for the bold 9000 sized updated blackberry. Cause this torch aint lighting my fire.

08-22-10 09:16 PM
    Yo Max! How's open Bold coming along?

Eh, stalled for the foreseeable future. I started working on a Vodaphone theme for some folks on here that I'm probably gonna have to set aside as well. I think I need a new job

08-22-10 09:26 PM
    Well, I exchanged the phone today...same problem with this new one. If I'm on the phone for more than 5 minutes, the phone's charging indicator (lightning bolt) shuts off and it won't take a charge. What good is a phone that won't charge while its on a call? I don't know...do you? I don't.......do youuuuuu? First major bug with this phone, it will forever be plugged in. Ah well. And I'm still waiting for the bold 9000 sized updated blackberry. Cause this torch aint lighting my fire.

That's discouraging. Does it really suck the juice down that fast on phone calls? I haven't had any long calls yet, just poking at the screen all day yesterday

08-22-10 09:30 PM
    This might explain why my phone kept going in and out of charging mode last night. I was charging it via a usb port on my laptop. I thought it of been the port on the phone or the cable, but it all makes sense when I think I was outside in the heat. Add that to the phone heating up while charging. I guess knowing is half the battle...GI JOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
    08-22-10 09:46 PM
    This might explain why my phone kept going in and out of charging mode last night. I was charging it via a usb port on my laptop. I thought it of been the port on the phone or the cable, but it all makes sense when I think I was outside in the heat. Add that to the phone heating up while charging. I guess knowing is half the battle...GI JOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
    That could also be the USB power settings on your laptop. On windows machines I usually go into power management to leave the ports on for certain power profiles.

08-22-10 10:34 PM
    Well, I've noticed that since the weather calmed down to the 70's, the phone has been charging OK. So, hopefully this replacement Torch will be a better 'Winter phone' than a summer one....oy vay.

08-24-10 08:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD