None of the pix I have seen show any charging contacts on the back of the Slider (similar to the Curve)....is this not going to be an alternative way to charge the Slider?
    06-26-10 06:12 PM
    http://www.intomobile.com/wp-content...rry-9800-6.jpg

Looks like the same MicroUSB port as my Storm
    Last edited by stesyl; 06-26-10 at 06:37 PM.
    06-26-10 06:33 PM
    It will probably be a horizontal holster like the Storm, which would take advantage of the accelerometer.
    06-26-10 06:38 PM
    I'm hoping it can be charged in a cradle like my Curve does but if only has a micro USB port then I'm thinking not. Certainly wouldn't make any sense though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-10 08:00 PM
    I am hoping they add the charging contacts to the final version.

06-26-10 08:19 PM
    It will be chargeable in a cradle. It will be horizontal using the microusb, similar to how it is done on the Storm in their cradle.
    06-27-10 01:00 AM
    It will be chargeable in a cradle. It will be horizontal using the microusb, similar to how it is done on the Storm in their cradle.
    Do you actually know this or is this just what you hope/assume from previous BlackBerrys?

Got pics?
    06-27-10 06:03 AM
    I would rather have contacts on the bottom and I would rather not have the wear and tear on the USB port. I have used he storm cradle and it is a PIA compared to dropping my 9700 in the charging cradle.

This would be a negative for the 9800 and I doubt it will be redesigned with contacts as what we are seeing in the images are the real thing.
    06-27-10 07:48 AM
    I completely agree. I particularly like the placement of these contacts on my 9700.

I hope that the 9800 kaeeps them in that place even though I know that I must buy a new cradle for the new phone.

What I do not understand is why RIM do not put a second set of contacts beside the existing ones so that syncing and updating could be done with the phone in the cradle. This would make sense to me.
    06-27-10 08:06 AM
    This would be awful and I hope these are "older" pictures and that production units have a way to charge other than the usb port...that is probably the single biggest soft spot on any BB and to have to "plug in" possibly several times a day would not have positive results over time.

06-27-10 08:30 AM
    Do you actually know this or is this just what you hope/assume from previous BlackBerrys?

Got pics?
    It's a safe assumption I feel. Adding contacts at the last minute seems more like wishful thinking.

There's nothing wrong with the horizontal dock used in the Storm series IMO. You can dock it in and out just as quickly as the vertical docks using charging contacts for both syncing and charging. Only downside I see is it being horizontal and not vertical but I guess that's more of an opinion.
    06-28-10 12:01 AM
    I want to see charging contacts, I live for my fuel case and want one for this phone if I decide to buy it.

06-28-10 04:46 AM
    I would rather have contacts on the bottom and I would rather not have the wear and tear on the USB port. I have used he storm cradle and it is a PIA compared to dropping my 9700 in the charging cradle.

This would be a negative for the 9800 and I doubt it will be redesigned with contacts as what we are seeing in the images are the real thing.
    I'm one of those people who don't get a chance to dock mine as I don't have a desk job. But the USB charging is one of my favorite features. That was the first thing I fell in love with was the USB charging port. Its the first phone that didn't require a new charger every time I got the newer phone. and with the USB, I can charge it with my GPS car charger if im out and about and find myself running low. Can't do that with a dock.
    06-28-10 07:33 AM
    This would be awful and I hope these are "older" pictures and that production units have a way to charge other than the usb port...that is probably the single biggest soft spot on any BB and to have to "plug in" possibly several times a day would not have positive results over time.

Keep in mind micro USB is far more durable than mini USB. It is tested to withstand tens of thousands of insertions.

06-28-10 07:40 AM
    Keep in mind micro USB is far more durable than mini USB. It is tested to withstand tens of thousands of insertions.

Hope so.....

06-28-10 10:34 AM
    We have both the Storm 1 and Bold 9700 in our home, both using cradles. It is quite a bit easier to drop the Bold in the cradle then it is to situate the Storm on its cradle.
    Plus, we had to get a different cradle when my husband got a new case for the Storm - it would not fit in the Blackberry branded cradle.
    06-28-10 09:36 PM
    I think some of you are missing a major point here. The design of the Curve allows for charging via both the USB and the charging contacts on the lower back of the device. I can drop it in the cradle and/or grab it right out the cradle in less than a second, which I do many times throughout the day. I get the best of both worlds.

06-28-10 09:44 PM
    I think people are also missing the point that the cradle, whether it be charging contacts or microUSB, work very similar and can be docked/undocked in a second. Just b/c the horizontal dock uses USB doesn't mean it's hard to cradle.
    06-29-10 03:05 AM
    I think people are also missing the point that the cradle, whether it be charging contacts or microUSB, work very similar and can be docked/undocked in a second. Just b/c the horizontal dock uses USB doesn't mean it's hard to cradle.
    The horizontal dock using USB is exactly why it isn't as easy to use as the side contact cradles. It is much easier to just drop your blackberry into a cradle without having to align / push in a plug. Very subtle difference but no real question which is the easier of the two
    06-29-10 08:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD