Alright this is how it all started.

My brother and I have a torch. Yesterday we were at a restuarant, and you know we saw something cool, so we decided to take a picture, and were sitting next to each other. We both take the picture at the same time. His camera is so clear when he took the picture.. and when I took it.. it was so blurry that I couldn't even see who was in the background of the picture.

So I went to the Help section on my BB Torch; and it told me to go to My Camera and Click on options and check mark the Image Stabilization. Then Press Save. So I go to my options and the Image Stabilization is not even there. Should I send it back to warranty? Or is there anyone that came to this problem and fixed it.

Help is much appreciated.
    12-01-10 03:17 PM
    What help section? I don't think there is anything like image stabilization. I sure don't see it on mine.
    12-01-10 03:40 PM
    Image Stabilization is only on the video camera even though the help and documentation say otherwise. I posted this same question right after I got my Torch.
    12-01-10 03:44 PM
    A lot of factors can affect picture clarity: camera settings, picture taker, smudged lens opening etc. What are your settings? What distance and in what kind of lighting?
    12-01-10 03:46 PM
    If you go on blackberry.com->Support->Torch 9800 Support->Where it says Type a Question Type Camera->Then theres one how it fixes the blurry-ness. (RadioChik)

And Yes I went there Rcalderaro it made no difference lol.
    12-01-10 03:48 PM
    newcollector, the thing is.. I have the same settings as my Brother. He has the torch as well.
    12-01-10 03:49 PM
    and you're sure you don't have any smudges on your lens cover? Try taking a couple other pics side by side. If yours is consistently much worse, take them both back to wherever you got them and show them. Ask for a replacement.
    12-01-10 03:53 PM
    if ure using the camera side-button, u should hold ur camera button at the halfway point for a second and wait for it to focus before pushing down the button all the way through.
    12-01-10 06:50 PM
    I have the same problem, one pic crystal clear, next one a minute later is all blurry. Nothing wrong with settings, no smudges. Went back to AT&T store for 2nd time this evening and was told same thing by a different rep...may get the same problem with a new phone. Great.
    12-02-10 09:57 PM
    You guys might have autofocus on. Press the BB>AutoFocus> switch this to "Single Shot". I think the reason is that the camera is constantly trying to find the perfect shot but even with the slightest hand movement will cause it to adjust itself again. I put it to "Single Shot" and have not had any problems since. Good luck!
    newcollector likes this.
    12-03-10 01:48 AM
    has anyone noticed that the camera has a mind of its own, and sometimes does not want to take a picture???
    12-03-10 01:57 AM
    @maiia only when the battery is too low. Then it will not take pictures.
    12-03-10 08:39 AM
    agree - set the autofocus setting to "single shot". FYI: I had my Torch in NYC with a friend who had an iphone4 and we took a lot of photos side-by-side. At the end of the day he sheepishly admitted the Torch camera took way WAY better photos. No blurriness issues here.
    12-03-10 02:11 PM
    You guys might have autofocus on. Press the BB>AutoFocus> switch this to "Single Shot". I think the reason is that the camera is constantly trying to find the perfect shot but even with the slightest hand movement will cause it to adjust itself again. I put it to "Single Shot" and have not had any problems since. Good luck!
    This. If the camera is in the middle of refocusing and you force a shot anyways, the result is blurry.
    12-03-10 02:19 PM
    I spoke to a customer service representative at 3 today to complain that my Torch 9800 camera will not focus close up.

He responded by telling me that I would have to return my BB Torch and wait for the RIM tech's to look at it and decide if I am correct or not, if they do, then 3 will replace my phone. He also told me that it had been confirmed that there were issues with the camera on some but not all BB Torch 9800 phones.

What annoyed me was, my phone is less than 2 months old, 3 have lost the deal they had with Orange and I do not get a good signal any more were I live, I was offered the chance to jump, but I decided to stay with 3. I think I should have my phone replaced under the warranty, but they want me to go without my BB device while they take there time to agree.

In my experience RIM tech's are not RIM at all but a sourced repair centre. That is a worry to me, as I really take care of my gear and its like brand new.

Under the consumer credit act I am sure I am entitled to a replacement if the goods are not doing what they are sold to do!

Still check your QR Code reader and close up pictures, if they dont work, your phone is f**ked!!!!
    12-03-10 06:42 PM
    There was a thread a while back where someone swapped their phone due to close up focusing issues. New phone had no problems.
    12-03-10 07:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD