I own an unlocked blackberry torch with a Fido sim card. Since I got the phone, the browser had not been able to load. The following error appears...

unable to connect to the Internet, please try again later. if problem persists please contact your service provider.
    I'm connected to my own password protected wifi but the browser/youtube/facebook/whatever else needs the internet does not work. My data is also turned off.

Thanks
    Last edited by unhip_crayon; 08-05-11 at 09:03 PM.
    08-05-11 08:49 PM
    You need to have an active BlackBerry Data Plan.
    08-05-11 08:55 PM
    I don"t think so...my cousin has the same phone with no data plan. Wifi is completely different and uses no data during browsing
    08-05-11 09:02 PM
    Go to Mobile Network Settings and turn Data Services On.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-11 09:58 PM
    Could someone backup their service books and send them to me? I think mine are all screwed up.

DELETE YOUR PERSONAL EMAIL SERVICEBOOKS BEFORE YOU MAKE THE BACKUP

Thanks
    08-05-11 09:59 PM
    Go to Mobile Network Settings and turn Data Services On.

I don't have a data plan. Can't I browse via wifi without using data?

But for the record, With data service turned on, the internet does work.

Thanks
    Last edited by unhip_crayon; 08-05-11 at 10:03 PM.
    08-05-11 10:00 PM
    Even with wifi enabled, you still need the data services turned on to use those apps and programs. Data services off prevents your phone from using data, whether its on wifi or your carrier.

In your case you would want to turn off your carrier, turn on wifi and turn on data services and the majority of things with work. Some apps still require you to have a blackberry internet service (BIS) specific data plan.

08-06-11 06:43 AM
    Ahh ok. So as long as I am connected to wifi, my torch will not use data even with my carrier enabled?

Thanks

PS My browser does infact work with Data Service on
    08-06-11 02:20 PM
    That's not true. If the wifi you are connected to is weak, the phone will switch to your carrier to keep a stable signal. If you do not want to use your carrier data at all (because of a low limit or roaming, etc) then just uncheck the "Mobile Network" box under Manage Connections and force the phone to stick with the wifi.

08-06-11 03:11 PM
    U need a sim card with data plan, only set in ur phone and turn on, the service book down and u can use ur phone with out problems
    08-06-11 05:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD