So I'm a Canadian eagerly awaiting this release on Telus (hopefully Sept 12 as has been mentioned)..but I'm a current S1 owner who runs Opera for my browsing. I love Opera..the tabbed pages..web page rendering seems fast enough for my needs and it obviously blows the native browser out of the water. I'm curious as to whether any of you new Torch users are previous Opera users and can relate to how the two compare.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-10 11:28 AM
    I used to use Opera and then BOLT. The only reason I could possibly see one having them on the Torch is to view full versions of those sites (e.g., NY Times, etc.) that automatically detect you are using a mobile phone and direct you to their mobile site. But I have no use for either of these browsers anymore.
    08-18-10 11:33 AM
    I've used opera in the past on my 9700.
    The webkit browser on torch is WAY better.
    its quick, and supports multitouch and auto-wrap text zoom.
    You can also use tabs just like with opera.
    08-18-10 11:33 AM
    I'm from Canada and the only thing that I hate about apps like the Opera & Bolt is that when you go on some proxy-sensitive sites, it keeps telling me that I'm from the US or something and won't allow me to enter.

I'm not able to access My Rogers using those browsers, I have to use the Native Browser.
    08-18-10 11:37 AM
    The new browser in OS6 is better than both Bolt & Opera. The only real drawback is that not all pages are rendered in their normal fashion i.e. mobile version. It is much better as all sites used to be redirected and now they're not. Also keep in mind that RIM is constantly at work on the browser and there will be newer version in later versions of firmware. So it's going to get better and going to get quicker.
    08-18-10 11:48 AM
    The new browser in OS6 is better than both Bolt & Opera. The only real drawback is that not all pages are rendered in their normal fashion i.e. mobile version. It is much better as all sites used to be redirected and now they're not. Also keep in mind that RIM is constantly at work on the browser and there will be newer version in later versions of firmware. So it's going to get better and going to get quicker.
    Hopefully they'll do that pretty fast too.
    08-18-10 11:50 AM
    Thx CX. One thing troubled me is that I do not have the option to identify the browser as "FireFox/IE/BB". It's also bad that I cannot have the "Column View" anymore...

I am very used to the "column view" as I go to some text-heavy sites a lot...

I don't understand why the Browser does not support East Asian languages such as Chinese... For Droid the brower works for different languages out of the box... and we don't have an East Asian lang pack yet...
    08-18-10 12:11 PM
    The new Browser is great. I like it a lot. Opera or bolt doesn't compare. You can compare it to the iphone or droids. Its not as fast, but like CX said it just the beginning. I'm pretty sure RIM updates will make this browser even better.
    I do also missed the colum view, but I think its just because I was so used to it.

08-18-10 12:15 PM
    Thx CX. One thing troubled me is that I do not have the option to identify the browser as "FireFox/IE/BB". It's also bad that I cannot have the "Column View" anymore...

I am very used to the "column view" as I go to some text-heavy sites a lot...

I don't understand why the Browser does not support East Asian languages such as Chinese... For Droid the brower works for different languages out of the box... and we don't have an East Asian lang pack yet...
    I agree, I don't like the fact I can't change the browser emulation either... It's just one of them things though. As for column view, I never used it much so it's not much of a big deal to me. But it could make an appearance in future builds. trust me, the browser is being worked on as we speak. I will agree in it's current form it's not as fast as the i4's or Android. But they're on the same playing field. Soon it will be as fast.
    08-18-10 12:21 PM
    I agree, I don't like the fact I can't change the browser emulation either... It's just one of them things though. As for column view, I never used it much so it's not much of a big deal to me. But it could make an appearance in future builds. trust me, the browser is being worked on as we speak. I will agree in it's current form it's not as fast as the i4's or Android. But they're on the same playing field. Soon it will be as fast.
    I believe it's being improved... but...

I am really pessimistic about ATT OS Update. From my past experience I can tell they are slow as sh*t. Endless fielding testing but there was never results.

And I am in desperate of East Asian lang packs. It's not even in .161.

08-18-10 12:27 PM
    The webkit browser is not bad. I've downlaoded Bolt & Opera to the 9800 but it's not fully optinmized on OS6 yet. Not much touchscreen functionality, need to use the trackpad for the majority of the navigation. I like Bolt as well as it gives you the choice to view mobile or desktop versions of some sites. No, the webkit browser is not as fast as iPhone or Android but if people start realizing BB compresses info thus using a fraction of the data as other devices then it's fairly impressive being only a couple seconds slower.

08-18-10 12:34 PM
    The browser on the BBerry was the only thing that had me looking at the iPhone. I hated it.
    I'm extremely happy with this browser. I used both Opera and Bolt before, but I've got neither on my 9800.
    08-18-10 12:51 PM
    I went from a iphone 3G to a Bold 9700. I was like wtf did I do lol. Now with the Touch Screen on the Torch with the new Webkit Browser BB is definitely on the same playing field as the others
    08-18-10 01:09 PM
    The new Browser is great. I like it a lot. Opera or bolt doesn't compare. You can compare it to the iphone or droids. Its not as fast, but like CX said it just the beginning. I'm pretty sure RIM updates will make this browser even better.
    I do also missed the colum view, but I think its just because I was so used to it.

08-18-10 01:17 PM
    I think it will be interesting to see how much better the Webkit browser is on a non-touchscreen device like the Bold in comparison to Bolt. When I compared Bolt to the Webkit on the Torch, I didn't see that much of a difference in how the screen was brought up. I used Phone Arena and a couple other heavy graphic sites to compare. I am using a Tour, so I wouldn't get pinch and zoom, or would I if I had the OS 6 compatible Bold phone? I think Webkit is more ideal for touchscreen and Bolt can suffice for non-touchscreen. Unless, of course, you get the pinch and zoom on a Bold. But how would that work? Oh, yeah, I am so looking forward to reading the CB forum feedback on how OS 6 and the new browser works on a non-touchscreen device.
    08-18-10 01:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD