First off, even though my stats would suggest I’m a “newbie”…I’m only a newbie in post responses, not in the ever-so-addicting world of my Blackberries and this site (I’m most often a lurker and learner, typically checking in on this site SEVERAL times a month).

Just for a little background…I had my very first BlackBerry experience over two and a half years ago with a work-provided Pearl. At the time, I was actually quite reluctant to accept it, as I really didn’t (and still don’t necessarily) want to be expected to answer company emails and such in the middle of the night or on weekends and such (I mean, come on, I made fun of those kind of people for God’s sake!). However, after explaining these trepidations to the boss and being satisfied w/his assurance that such things would not be expected, I cancelled my personal cell phone plan and jumped onto the company’s plan to give the Pearl and the world of Push emails a shot. Well, simply said, I loved everything the little sucker provided me… multiple email accounts, synched contacts, BBM, Facebook right on my phone!, the BlackBerry OS, the shortcuts…I could go on and on, but I’m pretty sure most of you already know what I’m talking about or else you wouldn’t be on a Crackberry forum in the first place. I now look back at that time and upon those memories of my Pearl almost with the fondness of a first kiss or a teenage crush.

But alas, as most crushes go, it simply didn’t last. Don’t get me wrong, just like I still like girls, I still liked the BlackBerry experience, but after a year or so, my sweet, sweet Pearl just seemed like it wouldn’t take me to the places that I felt I needed to go. So away I went to check out what I thought was the most beautiful phone that was on the market…the BlackBerry Bold. I was instantly in love. After simply holding one in my hand at a local cell phone store, I was simply drop-dead in love with it. However, being on my company’s phone plan, and just getting the Pearl the year before, my line wasn’t yet available for an upgrade. But it didn’t matter. I was in love…so I did the unthinkable - I paid the full MSRP for it. And I then entered a whole new level of integration of life, love and cell phones. Not only did the Bold have everything the Pearl had…it had a lot more of it, faster, and smoother. It had a full QWERTY keyboard. It had WI-FI . It had 3G. It had GPS. Most importantly, it had me. Not since my first MP3 player or electric toothbrush had my life been impacted more by a new electronic device. I truly loved my Bold and I soon began doing more and more with it as our relationship grew…not only did I continue w/the “simple” things like calls, texts, BBMs, and Facebook at incredibly new speeds and ease, I began to entrust it with more and more. It started handling all of my banking with Ascendo money, my nearly hundred passwords with SplashID, and all of my navigation and search needs with the Google voice search app…this thing was doing everything and giving me its all. All was perfect in our world. At least it was until that one fateful day I happened to be perusing Crackberry.com.

That was the day I had first seen the leaked pictures and stats of the Torch (or whatever unofficial name it was at the time). I was instantly intrigued, my interest piqued. A touchscreen AND full QWERTY slide out keyboard?! One that can do everything my Bold does, but quicker, bigger, better and prettier? Whoa, that’s hot! But, at this point I’d only had my Bold for about a year. Therefore, I quickly put the thought of a new BB out of my head - you know, the good old “gonna stick with what I got “mentality. Those first few pictures of the Torch were kind of like getting my monthly Maxim or something…you see all kinds of pictures of Megan Fox and such, appreciate them for the art that they are, but don’t think you and her could ever actually become a reality, they’re just pictures and articles and stuff. Ahh…so, out of my head the Torch went.

Then, the TV ads started up. I tried to ignore them, I really did, but I just couldn’t look away. It was just as when the same Megan Fox in the print ads, first appeared on those Transformer commercials bending over the hood of that Camaro…you. just. couldn’t. look away. No matter if you tried, you couldn’t look away, I’m telling you! However, I was going to be strong. Very strong, because I loved my Bold, and besides that, some of the initial Torch reviews were a little less than glamorous. So the Torch was on my backburner again and I figured I could wait and be content with my good old, sturdy Bold. Then one friend, and then another, and suddenly another all got Torches. Over the next few months they were bringing them to the bars with them, to work, even to social gatherings and games at MY OWN house - everywhere I turned I was seeing them…and good lord, those phones were hot! But no, I have my Bold. My bold does it all. Well, except it’s running out of room. What, OS 6.0 will never be available on my 9000? And its screen looks awfully small in comparison to that nice new Torch. Wow, I really wish I could pinch to zoom that screen. Man this thing is really slow compared to the Torch. And, well I think we are starting to lose something…trust me Bold, it’s me, it’s not you, really.

Well, I just wanted to say that I did it. It is now two weeks ago today that I purchased my Torch. And I have absolutely not one single iota of regret about it. It’s everything I wanted and more. It makes the entire smartphone experience fun. It makes it REALLY fun. It has all of the usual BlackBerry dependability and functionality of my Bold (all of my apps including banking, etc. effortlessly transferred over w/o a single hiccup) plus the hot, FUN factor…what more can one ask for? I’m so happy with this phone I really don’t think I’ll ever need another! (er, well, at least not until the next new, hot, speedy BlackBerry comes along, but really, what could be hotter than Megan Fox, I mean the Torch!? She’s gonna be the “it” girl forever, right?)

Well, ok, I guess I must admit that I do have one sort of regret and that’s the guilt of ending my time with my Bold. I still haven’t quite been able to muster up enough bravery to actually take the battery out and put it back in its box for long term storage (in the event my lovely new Torch gets lost or abducted, I’ll still have my first love waiting in the wings to get me by in an emergency). When I do box it up, I’m afraid I might actually shed a real bona fide tear when taking out that battery for the final time. For the last two weeks, the Bold’s just been sitting there on the end table. Quietly and without complaint, keeping my contacts, its correct time, and everything as though all is normal in its world. Even though its SIM card has been torn from its insides and has now been residing in the Torch for two weeks now, I still feel a little guilt every time I look at the Bold. Kind of like looking at your old trusty dog after you bring the new little puppy into the house. All three of you know that the old dog’s time is nearly up, you just don’t want to say goodbye…

Well, that’s my BlackBerry story, and I’m sticking to it. This was obviously not one of those technical goobly-glob comparisons of things when going from the Bold to Torch posts (one can find those by the dozens in these forums). This was just meant to be a real story from a guy that really loves his Blackberries. I want you all to know that making that jump was worth every good thing you’ve read about the Torch and seen of it on those seductively enticing TV commercials. It’s fast, it’s smooth, it’s FUN, and it’s a BlackBerry.

[And pleeeeease, this is not meant for umpteen replies on why the Torch “sucks” compared to Iphones and Droids. I have actually played with both and have tons of friends that have them. They’re simply not for me. I love BLACKBERRIES, and the Torch is where it’s at for me - as they say, I went Black and I’m never going back.]
    Last edited by Switters; 02-03-11 at 09:56 AM.
    02-02-11 03:26 PM
    Seriously bro, you expect people to read all that?

BTW, didn't read
    02-02-11 03:43 PM
    Try getting an attention span then. To the OP, congratulations on your Torch! I felt the same way when I first saw pictures of it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Switters likes this.
    02-02-11 04:01 PM

BTW, didn't read
    No, I really don't "expect" anyone to read anything in a forum. Just had a long boring snow day with the rest of half of America and thought I would tell my story with a little more of a narrative flair for something different... obviously not your cup of tea, so no worries.
    02-02-11 04:02 PM
    Enjoyed the story. Like you, I love my Torch (almost as much as I love my dog and my wife - not in that order)!
    02-02-11 04:10 PM
    My 9000 experience was such a great one and my last touchscreen so disappointing I was completely opposed to the Torch for a long time. Then the device made the market. Reviews were mixed so I felt no need to try one. As time passed and I did touch the phone repeatedly the love affair began. ATT offered a fine deal and for almost 3 months I have not looked back. The 9000 is put away without a battery. The Torch is my current love. One day this, too, shall pass but for now I am delighted with BB and the Torch.

jonasbeaver likes this.
    02-02-11 04:12 PM
    Love the narrative. Very entertaining! Thanks for the fun post.
    02-02-11 04:36 PM
    I read it brother and I'm at the same place as you. I have 3 other BBs put away. I jumped from a 9700 to my torch. The 9700 is an awsome device. The Torch is.... Well no pun intended, HOT.

02-02-11 04:55 PM

BTW, didn't read
    Yet you took the time to respond with a meaningless post. Thanks!

OP, that is an awesome story. The Bold 9000 was my first BB phone, and I've been in love ever since!
    02-02-11 06:01 PM
    Nice story, I'm still obsessed with the Torch and can't wait until I can get one myself. I have to admit that until I reached the bottom of your post I was worried for your safety as I thought you typed the whole thing out on your Torch lol. I love how fast I can type on my curve and have written quite a few long replies, but my wrists always pay the price for it.
    02-02-11 06:59 PM
    Congrat on the torch enjoy it.

02-02-11 07:25 PM
    I loved your post and can empathize with you. I lust after the torch and have gone to the store to play with one many times. I just don't know if I can leave my 9700. I feel like I would be letting a really good friend down.
    02-02-11 07:30 PM
    Try getting an attention span then. To the OP, congratulations on your Torch! I felt the same way when I first saw pictures of it.

I second that emotion. Great post, read every word, I would have read it if you were talking about your droid instead. It's posts like this that capture the users experience in a way that html5 and ghz never can. Great (first?) post BTW!!(Can't tell on my mobile app)

Last edited by BlackStormRising; 02-02-11 at 07:46 PM.
    02-02-11 07:39 PM
    Great read. In fact you're "lucky" enough that I'd rather read just the post and skip the comments. Normally I read through the comments to follow the troubleshooting and gain information. Not here. No need to!! Simply put, it makes me want a torch, even though it has its issues. I like how you conveyed the feeling of attachment that we all get to our BB's. Well written, for a snowy day inside
    02-02-11 08:47 PM
    As someone who upgraded to a Torch from a 9700, I have absolutely no regrets. In addition the many hardware and OS improvments, one thing that goes unmentioned is the obnoxiously long time that the 9700 took to reboot from a battery pull. I have better things to do than wait 15 minutes since the Torch only takes less than a minute and a half. There are so many things that will make you forget your 9700.

02-02-11 08:57 PM
    I'm a little different from the OP, I was a die-hard Windows Mobile fan who secretly carried a torch for the Bold 9000. And then RIM muddied the waters and released the "new" Bold that wasn't like the original Bold 9000 but had better specs.

I still liked the 9000 but couldn't get past the less than stellar specs but didn't want the smaller 9700 even though it had those better specs.

All I wanted was a phone that had a larger screen and a physical keyboard. Why RIM decided to make the 9700 smaller than the original Bold (and place it in the same "family"?!?) is still beyond me. Shortly thereafter, the Bold 9000 disappeared from the showroom floor and my desire for a Blackberry lessened.

And then came the Torch. What a device!

Much larger screen, physical keyboard, tweak/geek-ability, better camera (with flash) and a 3.5 mm jack for listening to music (which I do, A LOT). I played with that more than I played with the original Bold.

Once the WM7 phones were released and all of them seemed to be 4 inch touchscreen beasts, it was safe for me to say goodbye to Windows Mobile 6.5. WM7 took out all of the stuff I liked about WM6.5 and stuck it in form factors I didn't find appealing.

I waited patiently for just the right deal on a new Torch and jumped feet first into the wonderful world of Blackberry. I've never been happier with a phone, even happier than I remember with Win Mo
    02-02-11 11:12 PM
    Welcome. What a great read, really well written and entertaining! Thanks for the breath of fresh air!

Torch here as well, from a Pearl, to Storm, to Torch. Still absolutely rely on SureType in portrait, and ADORE my Torch. Mine's red. I love her. She's my right arm. Seriously.
    02-02-11 11:30 PM
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. I must admit that I was a bit disheartened by the very first response to the very first thread that I ever started, but it�s good to know that most people got it and appreciated it for what it was�.kind of a simultaneous thank you to the CrackBerry community, an ode to my beloved Bold, and a love letter to my new Torch, haha.

Cheers!

Last edited by Switters; 02-05-11 at 12:20 AM.
    jules966 likes this.
    02-03-11 09:44 AM
    Nice narrative.
    I had the same experience. Really liked my Bold 9700. It could do alot of the things I needed done.
    I got the Torch and had a indescribable feeling that I was leaving something good for I didn't know what. Change is hard, but we can get over it and realize it is really not that bad.
    the Torch has been fun this week, and I'll stay with it.
    02-03-11 11:17 AM
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. I must admit that was a bit disheartened by the very first response to the very first thread that I ever started, but it�s good to know that most people got it and appreciated it for what it was�.kind of a simultaneous thank you to the CrackBerry community, an ode to my beloved Bold, and a love letter to my new Torch, haha.

Cheers!

don't let those smart azz discourage you from posting..
    i enjoyed reading your post by the way.
    02-03-11 01:17 PM
    I just got a Torch and I too am loving it. I thoroughly enjoyed your story - very fun to read and very well written. Just fantastic! I wanted to let you know I read this and it helped me in my decision to get the Torch, and like most others, no regrets of it! Thank you to the OP and I'll be on the lookout for more stories from you.
    03-03-11 04:50 PM
    OP, your post was fully read and much appreciated. I got my Torch last week and have been in love with it since! Enjoy it to the fullest!
    03-03-11 05:23 PM
    I hated Blackberry for a very long time until I laid eyes on the Bold and I also paid full price for the phone. About a month ago i bought the Torch but I cant seem to get attached to it. I keep running back to my beloved Bold. Nice BB experience!! FYI I read the entire post. If people don't want to read it then they don't click on the thread.
    03-03-11 05:46 PM
    I moved to a torch after having a bold for 6 months, don't regret it one bit. It was also pretty nice that I did a straight trade for a brand new Torch
    I'm new to blackberrys, pretty good phone. But I find the touchscreen on the Torch is not nearly as good as the touchscreen on iPhone (I had an iphone for 4 years prior to owning blackberry...I may switch back once I'm eligible for upgrade again)

03-03-11 06:30 PM
    My very first BB was the 8700c purchased from eBay ... trackwheel and all. Let me just say that though all the years, I was hooked as a Blackberry slave (in the after-hours, there is another noun that could be inserted here but I will keep comments suitable for work ...). I loved the intuitive interface of Blackberry despite my brief voyage into Windows Mobile land (yuck). I used a carrier upgrade to the 9000 and shortly thereafter went, albeit briefly, to the iphone. Because I am way over the age of < insert age here >, I went back to the Bold 9000. And that was just before the Bold 9700 hit the stores. Oh yes, I paid full price for that baby about a year or so ago. As luck would have it, I have now qualified for another upgrade, but I would have gladly used that privilege for the Torch 9800. I'm seriously in heaven with a functional touchscreen accompanied by the full qwerty keyboard that we all love. Will I be in line for the Torch 2? Stay tuned ...
    03-03-11 10:17 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD