Is my understanding of the TMob thread correct?

Does this mean that, until the BlackBerry Torch or another OS 6 enabled device is released on the network (O2 in UK), an unlocked BlackBerry Torch won't work at all for email/browsing/BBM?

Or will it work, but with 3G or some other function/service missing?
    08-16-10 04:23 PM
    I bought mine last week and I have T-Mobile. At first after I unlocked it I only have voice and text message available. Internet and internet apps weren't because of an issue with the 'service books'. I called T-Mobile and they couldn't help. But after I found this link, http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ho...m-95xx-106023/ .... the internet worked fine. The link says its for the Storm 95xx, but it worked fine on my Torch. Everything seems to work fine, you can even enable UMA if you want. The only thing I don't have is 3g, EDGE only, which is pretty fast.. and visual voicemail. Other than that everything runs great.
    08-17-10 04:11 AM
    From what I understand T-Mobile uses a frequency(Band) for 3G that isn't standard

In September 2006, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) offered, at auction, licenses in the first Advanced Wireless Services band. This band was an area of wireless spectrum, half in the 1700 MHz (1.7 GHz) and half in the 2100 MHz (2.1 GHz) frequencies, that was already in use by government services but would be available at some point in the future when those services moved to different frequencies.

I think most countries world wise use 2100 for 3G
    08-17-10 04:24 AM
    Thanks - I wonder if there is a similar workaround for O2 in the UK.

Presumably, if there is, I would get 3G as I believe the Torch runs on the same 3G frequency as that offered by O2.
    08-17-10 04:25 AM
    Thanks to you both - much appreciated.
    08-17-10 04:26 AM
    Mach

I am running an ATT device on the O2 network in the UK without issue. I simply installed my O2 sim, unlocked the device and away I went. Nothing more to it than that.
    08-17-10 05:01 AM
    Mach

I am running an ATT device on the O2 network in the UK without issue. I simply installed my O2 sim, unlocked the device and away I went. Nothing more to it than that.
    Thanks - so the 3G network then is covered for sure. The only question I suppose is whether O2 can support the Torch automatically yet (without fiddling with service books). You have the Bold 9700, like me, which is OS 5, so I wonder if OS6 requires different service books or not. Hopefully not!
    08-17-10 05:17 AM
    Thanks - so the 3G network then is covered for sure. The only question I suppose is whether O2 can support the Torch automatically yet (without fiddling with service books). You have the Bold 9700, like me, which is OS 5, so I wonder if OS6 requires different service books or not. Hopefully not!
    I didn't have to get any new service books - all I did was log into o2email.co.uk and changed my device - it literally was that simple.
    08-17-10 05:19 AM
    I can confirm that it works fine on O2 in the UK - no lost functionality at all from what I can see.

I got one this morning - emails, browser, 3G all fine. No tinny sound, no flimsy slider, no problems at all actually. Camera is v nice (much better than my 9700).

Not sure I am going to keep it though as I am rather attached to my 9700 and not sure I can justify the additional expense against the value of the new features, but wanted those in the UK to know it works just fine and they shouldn't be concerned about it when it is released here.

One thing that really is superb is the universal search - almost worth the price of admission alone. Very quick and very comprehensive. Best feature of OS6.
    08-19-10 08:15 AM
    One thing that really is superb is the universal search - almost worth the price of admission alone. Very quick and very comprehensive. Best feature of OS6.
    After a few days of use I have to concur with this - US is an incredible addition to the OS.
    08-19-10 08:18 AM
    Picked up my Torch and it runs great on TMO. I thought the bold was the best phone I ever used until now.
    08-19-10 01:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD