I used the search function and came across a number of threads with the same complaint, although none of the information was really useful. My one day old torch seems to have constantly fluctuating reception. While my 3G never comes off, the phone seems to range from 1-5 bars within a few steps. I've haven't dropped any calls yet or haven't had trouble sending emails and messages, but when outside in places where my 8320 would get 5 bars I often see my torch ranging from 1 or 2 - 5 bars. Is this common, and/or should I ask for a new device?
    04-02-11 02:15 PM
    If your not having any reception, dropped calls, etc... I wouldn't worry about itm.. Your reception will always fluctuate a bit...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-11 02:18 PM
    If your not having any reception, dropped calls, etc... I wouldn't worry about itm.. Your reception will always fluctuate a bit...

is 1-5 bars a bit though? fluctuation usually happens in the range of 1-2 bars. dropping to 2 bars from 5 in the same spot shouldn't be normal.
    04-02-11 04:07 PM
    The fluctuation in bars is not that unusual. I live in Louisville and I can go from 5 bars to 1 and back to 3 then to 5 all in the span of just a few seconds. I don't have dropped calls. I have clear reception. The browser works quickly. Your bar fluctuations have to do with activity of all the other phones on the network and sometimes to your carriers fluctuations in signal strength. As Tbrenn says, I wouldn't worry about it unless you are having problems with the phone functioning as it should.
    04-02-11 06:50 PM
    I have dropped calls often with my torch. When I had my storm 2 I had never had dropped calls at all.

04-02-11 06:52 PM
    is 1-5 bars a bit though? fluctuation usually happens in the range of 1-2 bars. dropping to 2 bars from 5 in the same spot shouldn't be normal.
    If you're talking about in your house or an office building, any number if things in the walls can interfere with the signal. Mine sometimes fluctuates standing in the same place just turning around, and sometimes I've seen it jump from 2 to 5 bars without moving at all (probably some really large person with a LOT of bling walking by outside my office?). Doesn't seem to affect performance that I can see. As long as you're not dropping 3G, shouldn't be a problem. It's when you go flip-flopping between 3G and 2G that you eat up battery and, of course, slow data transfer down to a crawl.
    04-02-11 07:00 PM
    Thanks for all of the replies. There is definitely an issue with the phone. Although I'm not dropping calls or switching from 2g to 3g this just doesn't make sense. My 8320 curve NEVER used to do this, and when holding a friends iphone 3g next to my torch in the same location his devices reception remained stable @ 5 bars while mine struggled to hold stability at 2-3 bars. I'll be calling rogers tomorrow and requesting a new device.
    04-03-11 02:27 PM
    Is your friend's iPhone 3G with Rogers as well?
    04-03-11 03:03 PM
    Another thing to consider is 3g isn't as stable as 2g, also the BB registers radio fluctuations better then an iphone. My friend has an iphone and always has perfect 5 bars(although sometimes he cant use the web?), while my torch fluctuates between bars. If you use the little trick of switching the bars to a percentage you can actually see the fluctuations better.
    04-03-11 03:58 PM
    @wirelessgal - Yes, my friends iPhone 3G is on the Rogers network.
    Thanks for the info homer, I was curious as to why his iphone's reception NEVER fluctuates unless moving a noticeable amount of distance. Believe it or not I've also discovered that my torch is a victim of the "death grip". I was successfully able to make my torch lose complete signal and search for the wireless network by holding it in my right hand, from 3G to EDGE to no signal. Is there any available options I should have selected in the wireless network options such as ONLY 3G under network mode rather than 3G and 2G?

Really like this phone... hope the next one doesn't have the same issue or I'll have to downgrade to a 9780.
    Last edited by mikamps; 04-03-11 at 04:33 PM.
    04-03-11 04:27 PM
    The Rogers 3G network has been very unstable ever since Bell and Telus went live with their 3G network. I used to get excellent 3G coverage in my area. But I lose 3G a lot now. It has nothing to do with your Torch. Homer explained it well. It's our crappy coverage. You can switch to 3G only by hitting the top tab, go to "mobile network", then "network mode" and you can switch it to 3G only. Another thing you might want to test out is set it to 2G only and see if your bars flutuates as much as it goes while it was on 3G. If it doesn't, then it's not your Torch. We get way better GSM coverage here than we do with 3G.
    04-03-11 04:47 PM
    To see the difference I tried what you said and switched to 2G only. One my EDGE connection was established there was a lot less variability of coverage. Obviously this explains why I hadn't noticed this on my 8320... a phone that only has EDGE capabilities. I hope they fix this, I like seeing 5 bars constantly. I'll still be getting a new phone as there's definitely a death grip problem with my torch. Hopefully it's just this device.
    04-03-11 04:57 PM
    another possible explanation in the fluctuation of signal bars could depend on the theme you are using. the creator of the theme sets the "bar icons" so that depending on the signal strength the phone will display 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 bars. if they set the signal strength ranges very close together that can cause the number of bars to fluctuate.
    04-03-11 06:50 PM
    Using the default bb 6 theme.
    04-03-11 08:11 PM
    Contact your provider, I have the same problem, Telus told me their SIM card is defective and I have to get it replaced, could be the same issue.

04-03-11 10:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD