Hi All:

A few hours ago, I purchased the 9800 from an ATT store. Connected to my office's BES flawlessly. The hone has a good build, feels sturdy, but honestly it has some serious problems/drawbacks:

1) It comes without Carrying Case. For example, my previous Bold 9000 and Bold 9700 from ATT, came with belt clip cases. None on the 9800.

2) No Wall Charger. Now it was a USB adapter to use the supplied USB Cable.

3) Clunky and slow Web Browsing (A little faster on Wi-Fi). When moving around the web page, the movement gets clunky most of the time, including zoom in and zoom out.

4) Browsing on the main Desktop, gets clunky when more icons are present.

5) The back of the unit gets very hot when in use.

6) Battery life is similar to the Storm 2. (Average compared to the Bold 9700)

7) Speaker Volume to low.

I'm sure Ill find some more stuff, however, I don't think Ill find out, since I'm returning it today or tomorrow.

I think many of the problems the phone has can be solved with better battery management, bigger battery and mainly a faster CPU/GPU.

Everett
    08-13-10 01:21 PM
    Hi All:

A few hours ago, I purchased the 9800 from an ATT store. Connected to my office's BES flawlessly. The hone has a good build, feels sturdy, but honestly it has some serious problems/drawbacks:

1) It comes without Carrying Case. For example, my previous Bold 9000 and Bold 9700 from ATT, came with belt clip cases. None on the 9800.

I've never had a blackberry that came with a case. The Iphone I got for a whole day didn't come with one.

Can't deny that but it's a wall charger neverless.

3) Clunky and slow Web Browsing (A little faster on Wi-Fi). When moving around the web page, the movement gets clunky most of the time, including zoom in and zoom out.

Mine is fast on 3G and super fast on WiFi

4) Browsing on the main Desktop, gets clunky when more icons are present.

Mine is super smooth. No issues at all.

5) The back of the unit gets very hot when in use.

No temp changes at all for me. My Storm 2 did get warm, though.

6) Battery life is similar to the Storm 2. (Average compared to the Bold 9700)

That's a good thing. My Storm 2 lasted ALL day.

7) Speaker Volume to low.

Try the "Enhanced Audio" setting.

I'm sure Ill find some more stuff, however, I don't think Ill find out, since I'm returning it today or tomorrow.

I think many of the problems the phone has can be solved with better battery management, bigger battery and mainly a faster CPU/GPU.

Everett
    08-13-10 01:57 PM
    Maybe you don't deserve to own a BB anyway.
    08-13-10 02:00 PM
    the flip up option for the keyboard needs to be spring loaded like Neo's.

i'm not here for a workout....sliding that thing myself!!
    08-13-10 02:00 PM
    This makes little to no sense. You will find out more bad stuff but you won't because you are returning it........

You are confused and maybe a BB is way over your head.
    08-13-10 02:04 PM
    the flip up option for the keyboard needs to be spring loaded like Neo's.

i'm not here for a workout....sliding that thing myself!!
    That was GOLD!

+1
    08-13-10 02:08 PM
    LMAO!!!!!! Too funny this guy.
    08-13-10 02:12 PM
    You can get a mini to micro USB converter and still use the cords that came with your Bold.
    08-13-10 02:23 PM
    I love this phone.
    08-13-10 02:26 PM
    You can get a mini to micro USB converter and still use the cords that came with your Bold.
    I am doing the same thing! We ordered 10 of them for our office from a site in HK for about $2 each
    08-13-10 02:39 PM
    The Palm Pixie for YOU! LOL!

I Love Mine!
    08-13-10 02:46 PM
    My 9000 and 9700 both came with belt clip/holders from At&t. I do think it sucks they didn't add the case, the top of the line should always have it even if they charge for. I looked on line and they say there is an OEM case but they have pictures of 2 different cases.
    08-13-10 02:49 PM
    To tell you the truth I was one of the most optimistic persons here in crackberry forums. I was really excited when I was testing it in the stores, but no I'm having kind of regrets.
    The browser is better than my 9700, but I did get used to my 9700.
    Laggy, laggy, laggy. That's one of my biggest concern now.
    Yes, the screen is bigger, but not better than my 9700.
    When I talk, I can hear like a metal/phonic/robotic sound voice.
    The speaker phone in my 9700 were better.
    The phone is soooooooooooo heavy. Wow. I thought I wouldn't have any issue about this, but wow. I get tire really fast.
    Its uncomfortable to hold with only one hand.
    Did I mention is laggy. Well IT IS!
    I mean, I thought hey, RIM made this phone deficient in the new processor, less resolution, smaller battery, but at least its going to be reliable, long lasting, the OS will be optimized so that the phone responds nice and quickly, but I was wrong.
    Man was I wrong.
    Now, I know it takes time for one to adjust to a new device, but I don't know what I'm gonna do.
    Need some Crackheads advice.
    I'm not taking the phone back, just yet, bc I have 30 to play with it, so let's see.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-10 03:13 PM
    the back of your phone would get warm if you are charging it, just took it off charge or have it connected to your computer.
    08-13-10 03:13 PM
    Mine came with a VERY tiny USB powersupply - about 1" cube - that the USB cable plugs into and which charges the device (as well as my Jawbone ICON for what it's worth). Check the box carefully - this is so small it's easy to miss.
    08-13-10 03:18 PM
    This makes little to no sense. You will find out more bad stuff but you won't because you are returning it........

You are confused and maybe a BB is way over your head.
    haha, first you're auto mad he doesn't like a BB, and then second you have to be smart to use one.

Fanboy.
    08-13-10 03:21 PM
    I really wanted it to be as good as many hoped. But i have already returned mine. I was very dissappointed. I have been a BB user for sometime now. My first was an 8800 and last was a 9000. Both were great phones. I think the phone probably itself is fine and the OS may be part of the problem. They made allot of changes that i am thinking just don't sit well together. I hope they get it straight eventually for a decent touch screen experience
    08-13-10 03:36 PM
    Lol at the delusional ones making excuses for the 9800. There is no denying the device is 2-3 years behind.
    08-13-10 04:37 PM
    9800 - it gets HOT - it's not the battery ! It's the area right below the SIM card where the mini sd card goes... First I had thought it was the battery, but it discovered that it's not the battery at all getting hot. Not warm - HOT.
    08-16-10 09:01 PM
    Well, Ive had a BB since the OLD garage door openers. Other than the Storm ive really tested every single one. I was VERY hesitant to moving to it since the 9700 is such an amazing device.

Well, I bit the bullet and cracked it to work on TMO. I am only on EDGE but i do not see how its hindered me there yet. I use it for all 6 of my emails and I use it a LOT. Battery life is not as good as the 9700 but good enough to last me through the day. I also have an iPhone 4 and I cant stand using it for any messaging applications.

OS 6 is a leap, who cares if its behind on some of the features? the BB is STILL the most SOLID platform for messaging and basic phone functions. BAR NONE, all others pale and and are WAY to inefficient in handling emails.

So, if you can't handle the BB because you don't see how intuitive it is, then get an iPhone. Just make sure you hold it correctly.

Not one to nitpick, every little issue will be corrected by BB as opposed to Apple, who blames everybody else and denies the lack of foresight in basic antenna knowledge.
    08-16-10 10:54 PM
    To tell you the truth I was one of the most optimistic persons here in crackberry forums. I was really excited when I was testing it in the stores, but no I'm having kind of regrets.
    The browser is better than my 9700, but I did get used to my 9700.
    Laggy, laggy, laggy. That's one of my biggest concern now.
    Yes, the screen is bigger, but not better than my 9700.
    hrmmmm mines not laggy at all! SMOOTH and definitely not better then my 9700!

When I talk, I can hear like a metal/phonic/robotic sound voice.
    i never had this issue but supposedly .161 fixes it, at least your not losing reception when u hold it with ur left hand

The speaker phone in my 9700 were better.
    not mine.. on my 9700 i had to have the volume all the way.. the 9800 i have to turn it down....

The phone is soooooooooooo heavy. Wow. I thought I wouldn't have any issue about this, but wow. I get tire really fast.
    Its uncomfortable to hold with only one hand.
    hahahaha what you like a 3 foot 10 lbs person? yah it's a LITTTLEEE bit heavier but NOT THAT much!! geez!

Did I mention is laggy. Well IT IS!
    again mine is not!

I mean, I thought hey, RIM made this phone deficient in the new processor, less resolution, smaller battery, but at least its going to be reliable, long lasting, the OS will be optimized so that the phone responds nice and quickly, but I was wrong.
    Man was I wrong.
    Now, I know it takes time for one to adjust to a new device, but I don't know what I'm gonna do.
    Need some Crackheads advice.
    I'm not taking the phone back, just yet, bc I have 30 to play with it, so let's see.
    why keep it? just return it

08-17-10 09:35 AM
    Well, Ive had a BB since the OLD garage door openers. Other than the Storm ive really tested every single one. I was VERY hesitant to moving to it since the 9700 is such an amazing device.

Well, I bit the bullet and cracked it to work on TMO. I am only on EDGE but i do not see how its hindered me there yet. I use it for all 6 of my emails and I use it a LOT. Battery life is not as good as the 9700 but good enough to last me through the day. I also have an iPhone 4 and I cant stand using it for any messaging applications.

OS 6 is a leap, who cares if its behind on some of the features? the BB is STILL the most SOLID platform for messaging and basic phone functions. BAR NONE, all others pale and and are WAY to inefficient in handling emails.

So, if you can't handle the BB because you don't see how intuitive it is, then get an iPhone. Just make sure you hold it correctly.

Not one to nitpick, every little issue will be corrected by BB as opposed to Apple, who blames everybody else and denies the lack of foresight in basic antenna knowledge.
    You really shouldn't be allowed to comment here. #1 if you can't tell the difference between 3G and Edge then you are far behind the times. #2 O course you're going to get better battery life. Keeping a phone on edge as opposed to 3G conserves battery life. #3 since when has RIM shown it's customers any love by correcting problems with their phones. I'm not promoting Apple in any way, but the antenna issue was blown WAY out of proportion simply because they have the #1 phone.

The argument that Torch does great at messenging is lame. It's supposed to, isn't that what Blackberry's are for? I think why a lot of people are upset is because they were expecting MORE from RIM, and not all these headaches that a lot of people are experincing.

08-17-10 12:51 PM
    I'm using the 9800 from AT&T on the Rogers Network. Upon receiving the unit and unlocking it ($1.06 USD) I activated on our BES. Activation was quick.

First Impressions:

Nice Screen, bigger and very crisp.

Keyboard is is good, seems little different from the 9700 -or it is the same, probably just me.

It's heavier

Camera is nice, produces decent shots, flash is very bright.

Noticing latency on the touch screen in responding to CANCEL or OK

Touch screen keyboard is tough getting used to. Lots of incorrect letters (hit Y get U, Q get W) again probably me.

Telephone audio is not very good. Getting an echo and a slight whistle during calls.

Forcing the slider causes you to select something on the screen. They should have made a friction area below the touch pad for easier thumb action.

No Enterprise Messenger doe OS6 yet, hopefully soon.

Having a strange issue with Google maps 4.4 load but will not run. App vanishes after execution.

That's all I have for now. Still testing it.
    08-17-10 02:03 PM
    A happy torch owner here!!!!!!! No problems at all!!!!!
    08-17-10 02:06 PM
    Maybe you don't deserve to own a BB anyway.
    This is a joke, right?

Is there some qualification required to be blessed with the privilege that is Berry ownership?

Come on - it's a piece of consumer electronics sold in the open market for a price.

- R.
    08-17-10 02:58 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD