It has been stuck at this screen for over an hour while I was trying to update applications. I downloaded and installed the latest firmware on my computer prior to updating the device.

What should I do??
    12-29-10 04:48 PM
    Cancel the installation process. Make sure you have deleted any other OS that may be installed on your computer. Run a full backup of your device, then try to load the OS using the AppLoader.

Go to your C drive>Program Files>Common Files>Research In Motion>AppLoader.

If the OS is an official for your carrier then connect the device and right click on AppLoader and then click Run.

If the OS is NOT from your carrier, make sure to delete the vendor.xml file then connect the device and run the AppLoader.
    12-29-10 05:16 PM
    It has been stuck at this screen for over an hour while I was trying to update applications. I downloaded and installed the latest firmware on my computer prior to updating the device.

What should I do??
    You mentioned you "downloaded and installed the latest firmware on my computer ". I am not trying to be insulting, but by chance did you mean you installed the latest BB desktop software prior to updating the device? I ask, because not long ago I had something similar. Installed the latest desktop software and immediately plugged in my BB and had issues. After I rebooted the PC and tried again, all was well.

I think the "secret" is, install the desktop software, quit the program, relaunch it, THEN hook up the BB.
    12-29-10 05:18 PM
    There's no cancel button for me to cancel the process. I tried to stop the software using Windows Task Manager, it didn't do anything. I then unplugged the Torch. Now it gave me an ERROR 507 and won't even boot. What can I do now?
    12-29-10 05:19 PM
    There are what I installed:
    1. 9800AllLang_PBr6.0.0_rel695_PL6.4.0.105_A6.0.0.246 _Telus_Mobility.exe
    2. 601_b021_multilanguage.exe

Don't know the difference of these two, but installed both.
    Rebooted. It connect to the device okay, performed the backup, no problem prior to the screen it got stuck on.

You mentioned you "downloaded and installed the latest firmware on my computer ". I am not trying to be insulting, but by chance did you mean you installed the latest BB desktop software prior to updating the device? I ask, because not long ago I had something similar. Installed the latest desktop software and immediately plugged in my BB and had issues. After I rebooted the PC and tried again, all was well.

I think the "secret" is, install the desktop software, quit the program, relaunch it, THEN hook up the BB.
    12-29-10 05:21 PM
    Error 507 means there is no OS loaded on the device. Follow the instructions in my first response and you should be fine.

BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com
    Last edited by DawgMan; 12-29-10 at 05:34 PM.
    12-29-10 05:25 PM
    How to tell whether the download is vendor proved or not?
    I have posted my two download files in the earlier reply. can you tell from the file name if it's vendor proved?

12-29-10 05:54 PM
    Followed your instructions, it now got stuck at loading: module "net_rim_platform_resource__en_US.cod". It has been like this for over an hour now.
    Any idea?

12-29-10 06:54 PM
    It has been on this screen overnight for more than 12 hours. I don't think it's going anywhere. Torch is not the easiest smartphone to use.

Followed your instructions, it now got stuck at loading: module "net_rim_platform_resource__en_US.cod". It has been like this for over an hour now.
    Any idea?
    12-30-10 08:59 AM
    How full is your hard drive? Desktop Manager is HARD on memory. I recently had a problem similar to your and I just cleaned out a few old programs and was up and running again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-10 09:55 AM
    I have about 1.2 GB on my C: drive and is clearing up some room as I'm typing. Will update later.

How full is your hard drive? Desktop Manager is HARD on memory. I recently had a problem similar to your and I just cleaned out a few old programs and was up and running again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-10 10:34 AM
    Finally went on the phone with RIM tech support Tier 2. He determined the phone is defective. Processing a warranty exchange with ATT right now.

What a wasted product...
    Too bad I cannot return it any more. Definitely my last Blackberry.
    12-30-10 03:03 PM
    Finally went on the phone with RIM tech support Tier 2. He determined the phone is defective. Processing a warranty exchange with ATT right now.

What a wasted product...
    Too bad I cannot return it any more. Definitely my last Blackberry.
    If you are getting a warranty exchange, why is the Torch a wasted product? I am not sure I understand this post...if you have a warranty exchange, then you are able to return the phone and they will send you another one. Every phone produced has some defective ones...my last one was the Jack, had to return it because it was defective, but the new one that replaced it worked fine.

Sorry you are having problems, but I have had none with my Torch and love it. Very easy to use and upgrade. Just get your new Torch and you should be good to go.
    12-30-10 04:34 PM
    Warranty exchange is what they suppose to do when you have a defective product. Don't ask me to show my great gratitude for something they should be doing. I wasted 4 hours over the phone troubleshooting with BB tech support. You wouldn't think Torch is a good product if this is the second Torch in a row that had similar problems.

I'm sorry if my comment bothered you as a Torch user/lover. I'll be a user for the next couple of years myself, but at least according to my experience, Torch has not lived to my expectations. My wife has an iPhone 4, it runs like charm. I wish I had got the same.

If you are getting a warranty exchange, why is the Torch a wasted product? I am not sure I understand this post...if you have a warranty exchange, then you are able to return the phone and they will send you another one. Every phone produced has some defective ones...my last one was the Jack, had to return it because it was defective, but the new one that replaced it worked fine.

Sorry you are having problems, but I have had none with my Torch and love it. Very easy to use and upgrade. Just get your new Torch and you should be good to go.
    Last edited by pellet8; 12-30-10 at 05:47 PM.
    12-30-10 05:43 PM
    Let aside the product defects, here is my list of things weren't working right on the Torch:
    1. The contact search function only works in landscape, won't work with portrait viewing. Won't work with the keyboard slide open.
    2. When using the browser, in landscape viewing, the input box with the cursor focus moved out the display area when the software keyboard showed up. You would not know if the input box still has the focus.
    3. To use your home WIFI network, you need to turn off the phone service. By default, it always uses AT&T 3G (unlike my wife's iPhone).
    4. It freezes from time to time, all you can do is to take the battery out and reboot.

I've only been using it for less than 2 months.
    Last edited by pellet8; 12-30-10 at 05:57 PM.
    12-30-10 05:55 PM
    Let aside the product defects, here is my list of things weren't working right on the Torch:
    1. The contact search function only works in landscape, won't work with portrait viewing. Won't work with the keyboard slide open.
    2. When using the browser, in landscape viewing, the input box with the cursor focus moved out the display area when the software keyboard showed up. You would not know if the input box still has the focus.
    3. To use your home WIFI network, you need to turn off the phone service. By default, it always uses AT&T 3G (unlike my wife's iPhone).
    4. It freezes from time to time, all you can do is to take the battery out and reboot.

I've only been using it for less than 2 months.
    Hi there, in the past I've seen others post about some of these issues and there was a non-hardware explanation. The chance that these issues are hardware-related is slim. It's often a cop-out answer when a support rep runs out of ideas.

A. What is your current OS?
    B. Which Torch OS or OS's do you have currently installed on your PC? Any installed for other devices too?
    C. Which browser do you use on your PC, IE, Firefox, or Chrome?

1. Possibility it's an OS issue. Upgrading would confirm or refute.

2. If I understand what you mean about the text input boxes, this could be the website's fault, not the Torch's. Does it always happen with the same site(s)? Have you tested others?

3. How are you determining that you're using the network vs WiFi? The BB's indicators are not the same as an iPhone's.

4. Possibility it's an OS issue. Upgrading would confirm or refute.
    12-30-10 06:24 PM
    Here's what I posted elsewhere:

While this will work sometimes, using DM to perform the actual update often causes problems, including DM telling you there is no update in many cases.

Most of the more experienced members on this site... will say to use the Loader method instead, as I describe below.

Okay here's a quick upgrade guide:
    1. Uninstall any previous OS from your PC.
    2. Download OS to PC. Use Internet Explorer to do so, not Firefox or Chrome.
    3. Following successful DL, run OS file to install OS on PC.
    4. On BB, go to BBM Options, scroll down to Backup section. Ensure Remote Backup is enabled AND also conduct a Local Backup to media card.
    5. Go through any 3rd party apps that have option to save settings to media card, and conduct Backup to media card from menu within each of these apps. (Examples: all Bellshare apps such as BerryBuzz & BerryWeather; QuickLaunch; Shao's apps such as Wallpaper Changer & SixTools; Show Me The Images; etc).
    6. Connect BB to PC. Open DM and backup device. Close DM.
    7. (Optional) Use desktop program like BBSAK or BBMCP to backup 3rd party apps.
    8. On PC, navigate to Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader and delete file therein called Vendor.
    9. (Optional) Run Shrink-A-OS.
    10. In same AppLoader file where you deleted Vendor, double-click on Loader to initiate OS upgrade. Follow onscreen instructions.
    12-30-10 06:34 PM
    I really wish it was not a hardware issue, but their tier 2 tech support knows what he was doing. I granted him my computer access, he actually performed a factory reset under a DOS window, and used the Loader to install 6.0.0.246. It won't work. That's when he determined it's a defective product.

Regarding to #2 below, iPhone on the same site doesn't have the same problem. #3, iPhone allows you to turn off cellular data and still gets on the internet at home, but Torch doesn't.

I agree that #1-3 are all software issues, but why can't RIM design their software without these issues? In my opinion, the software development is only sub-par at best. I'm stuck with the Torch for the next couple of years, so I can only wish their software updates would take care of these problems for me. Maybe at the end of the 2nd year? Just look at how long it took them to offer multilanguage OS for the Torch.

Hi there, in the past I've seen others post about some of these issues and there was a non-hardware explanation. The chance that these issues are hardware-related is slim. It's often a cop-out answer when a support rep runs out of ideas.

A. What is your current OS?
    B. Which Torch OS or OS's do you have currently installed on your PC? Any installed for other devices too?
    C. Which browser do you use on your PC, IE, Firefox, or Chrome?

1. Possibility it's an OS issue. Upgrading would confirm or refute.

2. If I understand what you mean about the text input boxes, this could be the website's fault, not the Torch's. Does it always happen with the same site(s)? Have you tested others?

3. How are you determining that you're using the network vs WiFi? The BB's indicators are not the same as an iPhone's.

4. Possibility it's an OS issue. Upgrading would confirm or refute.
    Last edited by pellet8; 12-30-10 at 07:29 PM.
    12-30-10 07:25 PM
    Why do you have to shut off your phone sevice to use wifi? if you have home set as default hotspot it will connect auto unless YOU have it set otherwise. As far as the freezes compare it to leaving a computer on 365 days a year without cleaning any cache or history. download quick pull free and schedule it to reboot while you sleep and frees up memory and will take care of that issue. This is not an easy phone to learn, but has so much to offer if you take the time to learn and you picked a great place, the forums here have taught me a ton. Try to be patient, i know you want to throw it across the room sometimes but i promise once you learn and get comfortable it all makes sense and the ease of use will become apparent. best of luck!
    12-31-10 02:02 AM
    It connects to my wireless router automatically, but I don't know whether it defaults to use my home wireless to transfer data. I learned from some place else that it turns off the wireless antenna to conserve battery which means all data goes through 3G. I don't have an unlimited data plan.

Why do you have to shut off your phone sevice to use wifi? if you have home set as default hotspot it will connect auto unless YOU have it set otherwise. As far as the freezes compare it to leaving a computer on 365 days a year without cleaning any cache or history. download quick pull free and schedule it to reboot while you sleep and frees up memory and will take care of that issue. This is not an easy phone to learn, but has so much to offer if you take the time to learn and you picked a great place, the forums here have taught me a ton. Try to be patient, i know you want to throw it across the room sometimes but i promise once you learn and get comfortable it all makes sense and the ease of use will become apparent. best of luck!
    12-31-10 12:23 PM
    I have about 1.2 GB on my C: drive and is clearing up some room as I'm typing. Will update later.
    Wow... that's your problem.
    Think of your computer hard drive like your BB; try and keep at least 10% of your hard drive free, it'll run better. I try and have at least 15gb free at all times myself, which isn't too hard when you can get a 2TB external drive for under $100 on Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!.
    12-31-10 01:54 PM
    It connects to my wireless router automatically, but I don't know whether it defaults to use my home wireless to transfer data. I learned from some place else that it turns off the wireless antenna to conserve battery which means all data goes through 3G. I don't have an unlimited data plan.
    I believe on this point you're getting mixed up with terminology. I know you're saying home "wireless" here referring to your WiFi, but when you see references to wireless coverage, wireless antenna, etc, these are referring to your over-the-air 3G coverage. If it's WiFi you'll see that term and not "wireless."
    And regardless, I don't believe that's correct about any antenna turning off without a 3rd party app managing your connections.
    01-03-11 07:51 AM
    Sometimes, it's has nothing to do with the Desktop Manager. I connected by Blackberry torch 9800 through a usb hub and the upgrade got stuck at "Loading Application Modules". I unplugged and "error 507" came on the phone screen. I connected my phone directly to a usb port and all was well!
    07-13-16 08:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD