boy genius has been wrong before but can this be true.
    BlackBerry 9900/9930 slider hitting Sprint? � Boy Genius Report
    i didnt see the thread about it already mods please delete..
    Last edited by fresh618; 03-14-10 at 09:26 PM.
    03-14-10 09:07 PM
    already some post about that...

Do you have any links?
    03-14-10 09:13 PM
    03-14-10 09:20 PM
    thanks, but I dont thing these rumors are real... It's confirmed that the new Slider is 3G HSPA, not CDMA, so this is impossible that it could be on Sprint but on ATT and T-Mo.

BTW, slider model number is 9700A, not 99XX.

Not impossible yet but I would be very surprised if it was true
    03-14-10 09:28 PM
    Confirmed?

Has anything truly been confirmed yet with this model?
    03-14-10 10:14 PM
    thanks, but I dont thing these rumors are real... It's confirmed that the new Slider is 3G HSPA, not CDMA, so this is impossible that it could be on Sprint but on ATT and T-Mo.

BTW, slider model number is 9700A, not 99XX.

Not impossible yet but I would be very surprised if it was true
    BBleaks posted on twitter that the slider is confirmed as NOT being a bold, and that it is confirmed as both a CDMA and GSM phone

this is his exact words:
    "I can confirm that the bb slider is not a bold, has a touchscreen with virtual keyboard when in landscape, and it will be CDMA/GSM"

and he is the one thats has been leaking all the photos, so i would say he "knows" something about this device
    03-15-10 12:10 AM
    current tour owner and waiting for new bb to come out for sprint, but would definitely switch carriers for slider model!!!!!
    03-15-10 12:49 AM
    Nothing has been confirmed about this device yet, so don't believe one set of random rumors over any other and incidentally CDMA/GSM could very easily mean multiple devices like 8520/8530 rather than one worldphone.

Personally, I can't see 9700a being anything more than a temporary model number, its just too small a change for a device that is quite a bit different from a 9700. The 99xx rumor might turn out to be true without any leak to give them that info since 98xx or 97xx are by far the most likely options for RIM to choose since 91xx, 92xx and 93xx would tend to imply 3g versions of other form factors and 94xx might make people think it was less than other devices because it was a lower number.
    03-15-10 04:41 AM
    this is his exact words:
    "I can confirm that the bb slider is not a bold, has a touchscreen with virtual keyboard when in landscape, and it will be CDMA/GSM"
    I thought they weren't able to turn the phone on?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-10 05:15 AM
    If the slider is CDMA, Verizon will probably be getting it.

It would not be a very smart move by RIM to give Sprint exclusivity on a phone like this.

Just look at the # of customers that Sprint has vs. the # Verizon has.
    03-15-10 07:15 AM
    If the slider is CDMA, Verizon will probably be getting it.

It would not be a very smart move by RIM to give Sprint exclusivity on a phone like this.

Just look at the # of customers that Sprint has vs. the # Verizon has.
    If verizon didn't want to push a device then you could have the situation where sprint were able to order enough devices to get a certain device for a few months, but given their numbers you can't see it being too long.
    03-15-10 08:02 AM
    It said in the BGR report that the supposed Sprint branded device was trying to be an exclusive to Sprint....the 9930 verison anyway. The 9900 verison was GSM which would be for ATT and Rogers. I could see this for the fact that I just don't see how it would be fair to the CDMA carriers for the 99xx to be a GSM exclusive to ATT, Tmo, Rogers etc. when they already have an exclusive with the Bold 9700. Verizon has the exclusive basically for the Storm 2...Sprint is left in the dust with only the Tour and Curve 8530. I definetely could see it happening that Sprint gets a 9930, if one is to exsist, and it be an exclusive.
    03-15-10 08:38 AM
    RIM would never give Sprint an exclusive Blackberry like this. Sprint doesnt have a lot of custermers to make RIM money with this phone.
    03-15-10 09:13 AM
    I thought they weren't able to turn the phone on?

well said. Sick of conflicting reports. Also, only someone that has turned it on would know it is touchscreen, since it is not surepress...
    03-15-10 09:21 AM
    RIM would never give Sprint an exclusive Blackberry like this. Sprint doesnt have a lot of custermers to make RIM money with this phone.
    i disagree, i think alot of people over at sprint will get this phone, and will bring in new business.
    03-15-10 10:26 AM
    they never said they couldn't turn the slider phone on, they just said the battery was dead. maybe he plugged the phone in and was able to get some kind of information from it that way, or perphaps he got his hands on another battery for the phone?

i'm not trying to defend or deny anything, i'm just pointing out that we need to think broadly here, and remember that they dont tell us every little thing about how they get new information. (this holds true for both true and false information)

on a side note, i kinda hope it does come to verizon as well. and if it is indeed a touchscreen without sure press, that will be very interesting seeing as rim failed pretty bad last time they tried some sort of touch screen technology for the first time (storm 1)
    03-15-10 10:44 AM
    i disagree, i think alot of people over at sprint will get this phone, and will bring in new business.
    I agree....if it was to go to Sprint, it would definetely bring back in current customers as well as new customers IF it was to be a CDMA exclusive...same as the Storm did for Verizon and iPhone did for ATT. This is a new device for RIM...doesn't matter where it goes, it's definetely a consumer product and people will flock to where it goes.
    03-15-10 11:12 AM
    Believe that if you want to, but Sprint could very well get it exclusively for 6 months to a year. They would simply make it their "signature device" for ads and such like they did with the Pre to lure RIM into it. Plus, and I know you find it hard to believe, but having 50 million customers is still worth something in this day and age.
    03-15-10 11:56 AM
    I agree....if it was to go to Sprint, it would definetely bring back in current customers as well as new customers IF it was to be a CDMA exclusive...same as the Storm did for Verizon and iPhone did for ATT. This is a new device for RIM...doesn't matter where it goes, it's definetely a consumer product and people will flock to where it goes.
    That may be true, but RIM would have to push the phone just as much as Apple did with its phone and Motorola did with the Droid. There won't be any flocking if no one knows it exist.
    03-15-10 12:09 PM
    Have you seen the how cheap sprints plans are?! I would pay my verizon etf and switch in an instant if they had this phone. The only thing keeping me from switching to Sprint yesterday is their crappy phone selection.

Also, since this will probably be BB's first OS 6.0 device, I have to imagine they will market it big time. Making it the headline device for any carrier will help that marketing. Also, if verizon were to get exclusivity, then they wouldn't spend nearly as much on marketing considering how many big time, super hyped devices will be landing soon. (think android and droid vs storm 2 marketing campaigns)

If this were to land on sprint I would jump ship to get it.

Last edited by aeroPM; 03-15-10 at 03:01 PM.
    03-15-10 02:58 PM
    Marketing is typically mostly due to the carrier not the handset maker, the iphone is a notable exception in that apple spent so much money promoting it themselves.

As far as an exclusivity period, it will come down to one simple thing, how big an order will a carrier agree to make, the larger it is then the longer they get the device.
    03-15-10 10:02 PM
    Just like the Palm Pre did.

Seriously, I can't see RIM going with Sprint with such a BOLD departure from the regular RIM lineup. I switched from Sprint 5 years ago because coverage kept dropping in my office. Don't know if it's improved since then.
    03-16-10 09:42 AM
    If this comes to Sprint I'd get it over the Essex. Can't wait until more info comes out about this phone - would love to read the full specs.

But the form factor is perfect - I love tactile keyboards but would like the large screen for viewing/reading. And I don't like the sideways keyboard sliders (ala Moment) because it is awkward in my hands. That's just a personal preference thing though.
    03-16-10 10:26 AM
    I dont think this phone will be wildly successful. it may bring new customers to sprint, but i dont think there will be a huge influx.
    03-16-10 11:04 AM
    Just like the Palm Pre did.

Seriously, I can't see RIM going with Sprint with such a BOLD departure from the regular RIM lineup. I switched from Sprint 5 years ago because coverage kept dropping in my office. Don't know if it's improved since then.
    that's not Sprints fault, i didn't see the Verizon version do any better, in fact i think it did worse. the problem there was all hardware, the phone was just not attractive the sliding feel didn't feel solid, dead pixels, tiny keyboard. But get past that the phone was genius, Web OS is awesome.

the blackberry slider on the other hand i think will do great for Sprint, reason i believe so is so many blackberry users still have there older blackberry devices this will be a huge upgrade for them.
    Last edited by cheech4; 03-16-10 at 02:12 PM.
    03-16-10 02:09 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD