Because the Cortex-A8 in the Apple Iphone 3GS is capable of 1200 mips
    (Source)
    http://alienbabeltech.com/main/wp-co...recompari1.png

And again i'm purely talking CPU wise (Why do i have to keep repeting myself?)
    Apologies Dodger, I misread your previous post.

My mistake.

But even then the A8 is a country mile ahead in performance terms.
    Last edited by lee_; 08-25-10 at 04:24 AM.
    08-25-10 04:20 AM
    Apoligies accepted happens to the best of us

Wen you count in the gpu it's indeed more than a mile but i'm talking CPU wise and the Cortex-A8 i have to admit is no stranger to the high-end market it is far more used then the PXA930 but performance wise both cpu's arent that fare apart
    Last edited by Dodger52; 08-25-10 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Typo's
    08-25-10 04:30 AM
    Apoligies accepted happens to the best of us

Wen you count in the gpu it's indeed more than a mile but i'm talking CPU wise and the Cortex-A8 i have to admit is no stranger to the high-end market it is far more used then the PXA930 but performance wise both cpu's arent that fare apart
    Honestly I don't believe that mips isn't always a true measure of performance anyway. For instanance the Snapdragon is capable of outperforming the hummingbird by mips but when the same OS is run side by side the hummingbird absolutely destorys it in many different benchmarks because of many factors like the way it executes instructions and how it's manufactored but there's also many more reasons why it is able to do this.

The A8 also uses it's GPU for general tasks like the UI which means it leverages different compoments to produce a far higher level of performance than mips would show.

In 2008 the 930 was certainly a flyer of a processor but so much has changed in the past two years.

I'm not suggesting it's bad or it's inadequate just the game has moved on massively since it was launched which happens to all tech especially with the Android devices forcing innovation at a much faster rate than before.

The Iphone 4 processor is particularly good in my view, not only does it manage to be much faster but it also is far better on battery. So not only do you get better performance but also increased battery life, awesome eh?
    08-25-10 05:56 AM
    Your're correct but that isn't the poin't i'm trying to make.

But keep in mind that the ARMv7 is a pretty modern instructionset even today

I've read a lot of post of people saying that RIM should have put in a ARM11 or a snapdragon or what not, these poster said or made people belief that the PXA930 is hopelesly out of date. Although it's certainly not a snapdragon killer, it's certainly up to the job.

And even when a ARM 11 would haven been used it would have to be underclocked to keep the batterylife -so important to RIM's business users- acceptable
    08-25-10 07:06 AM
    I think the processor is good enough to do all the tasks set out to do and multi-task without bogging down the system. What they missed out on was a dedicated GPU! I dont care for a billions apps but i think this would have encouraged devs to come across in taking advantage of such technology. they had it in the storm so why disregard this... you're not going to move forward if you give then take away. Wasn't RIM touting 3d graphics not to long ago.
    Modern desktops are taking advantage of the GPU and taking the processes away from the cpu. It doesnt have to be a constant but it certainly seems like bigger news than it was in 2008.

did they somehow come to the realisation that its not worth it?

I doubt i will need a gpu in my phone anytime soon but unless it came down to serious incompatibilities, they should have bothered as it just seems like an odd decision. everything else on the torch is great
    08-25-10 09:31 AM
    I honestly never cared about the processor, as long as the phone doesn't lag, it's processor is fast enough to get the job done
    Last edited by xxcatcher16xx; 08-25-10 at 11:59 AM.
    08-25-10 11:54 AM
    I honestly never cared about the processor, as long as the phone doesn't lag, it's processor is fast enough to get the job done
    exactly, I think people are getting too caught up with which phone has the better specs on paper. Believe, don't believe, but the Captivate in all honest lagged as much, if not more, than my Torch. Sliding from different home screens lagged, there would be a 2-3 second delay when hitting the "phone button", emails never came in, and for some reason whenever I dialed *646#, my remaining miniutes would come in and reset my notificatiin volume to low. There's even a "lag fix" going around for the Captivate so that device is far from perfect itself. And I love how last night at the gym my workout buddy has an iPhone and he had ni connection while I had full bars.
    08-25-10 03:39 PM
    I don't have a problem with the 9800 in it's current form. However, I will say it would have benefited greatly from a faster processor. Greatly. With everyday use, you don't encounter lag, but the faster processor would help with things like pinch to zoom on your pictures(it takes a few seconds to re-focus). With a faster processor, this would be instant. It would also help with the new browser and a couple other tasks.

All in all, not a deal breaker for me. From time to time my i4 & Captivate lag, so it's just the nature of the beast. Again, I'm satisfied with my 9800, it would just be much more of a contender with a faster processor & high resolution screen. But not everyone is concerned with such things.
    08-25-10 03:53 PM
    I've read all six pages in this thread and have yet to see a reliable source to indicate whether the processor is the PXA930 or PXA935. I remember reading that RIM had confirmed (during the launch event, I believe) that the processor was an updated version of the one in the 9700 but I couldn't find a source for that either. Also, I have been unable to find any indication that an updated PXA930 actually exists (unless it is the PXA935). Either I can't search the web properly or a lot of people are speculating.
    08-25-10 08:43 PM
    I've read all six pages in this thread and have yet to see a reliable source to indicate whether the processor is the PXA930 or PXA935. I remember reading that RIM had confirmed (during the launch event, I believe) that the processor was an updated version of the one in the 9700 but I couldn't find a source for that either. Also, I have been unable to find any indication that an updated PXA930 actually exists (unless it is the PXA935). Either I can't search the web properly or a lot of people are speculating.
    Well than i've got some good news for you, isuppli did a teardown of the 9800, and have made a list of all the hardware 'in the phone. including the marvell PXA9xx (wich is probably the PXA930).

But if RIM said the cpu was updated version maybe it could be the pxa935 wich is the sucessor of the 930. that would be a cool discovery, that said al i have absolutely NO proof of it running a 935 and Isuppli also noted that the torch 9800 relied heavily on the bold 9700 as far as hardware goes.

The PXA930 has the codename "tavor P"
    The PXA935 has the codename "tavor P65"
    Last edited by Dodger52; 08-26-10 at 09:09 AM.
    08-26-10 08:57 AM
    I've read all six pages in this thread and have yet to see a reliable source to indicate whether the processor is the PXA930 or PXA935.
    Well than i've got some good news for you, isuppli did a teardown of the 9800, and have made a list of all the hardware 'in the phone. including the marvell PXA9xx (wich is probably the PXA930).
    That's not good news. We still don't know if it's the 930 or 935 and I'm not sure how we're going to confirm it either way if we haven't already.
    08-26-10 09:01 AM
    Crackberry kevin has stated in his review of the 9800 that the torch 9800 uses the same chipset found in the bold 9700 and pearl 3g
    (source)
    BlackBerry Torch Review | CrackBerry.com

I've added a comprehensive list (see attached image of all the hardware found in the torch)
    08-26-10 09:12 AM
    But how can you accurately know what chipset is in the torch when marvell or rim didn't confirm it. I don't know what's the big secret every other phone has it listed except the torch.
    08-26-10 10:24 AM
    I don't know how Crackberry Kevin know's what he knows.

But Issupli wich took apart the torch and analysed the hardware found out that it is the PXA9xx, so that much we know that is certain.

Know it is either going to be the PXA930 or the PXA935 wich does al the processing, and with alle the source's stating it's the same CPU as before, and the clockspeed staying the same, my money is going to be on the 930.

RIM is in the process of reinventing itself, the torch as a phone together with OS6 was a small step for consumers and a giant leap for RIM.

I think RIM would really do itself a favour if they would be more open about there CPU (especialy peformance data) as it is a big player in Consumer decision's, i'm and certain that we'll faster an faster CPU in coming models.
    08-26-10 10:55 AM
    I don't know how Crackberry Kevin know's what he knows.

But Issupli wich took apart the torch and analysed the hardware found out that it is the PXA9xx, so that much we know that is certain.

Know it is either going to be the PXA930 or the PXA935 wich does al the processing, and with alle the source's stating it's the same CPU as before, and the clockspeed staying the same, my money is going to be on the 930.

RIM is in the process of reinventing itself, the torch as a phone together with OS6 was a small step for consumers and a giant leap for RIM.

I think RIM would really do itself a favour if they would be more open about there CPU (especialy peformance data) as it is a big player in Consumer decision's, i'm and certain that we'll faster an faster CPU in coming models.
    I agree it's silly for this to be a secret.

Crucial_Xtreme has stated that we will see 1Ghz processors in BB's in the near future.
    08-26-10 11:48 AM
    Maybe the'll really want it to be a bang and put in a dualcore who know's
    08-26-10 11:56 AM
91 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD