i have been having this same problem as well... at&t thought it was my sim card so they gave me a new one. this did not work... the lady was on the phone with tech support for over an hour... still couldn't get it to work.. i finally did a "wipe" and restore and it worked, then today it did it again. so now i just did a wipe and restore again(second time) and now it's working just fine..(for now) lol. this definately seems to be a bug in the system. hoping this gets resolved quick.. definately loving this device tho
    08-18-10 04:51 PM
    Ok guys - so here is an update with this issue.

I had just gotten a new Torch yesterday at 5pm, no issues. I did NOT connect to Wi-Fi at all fearing that I would suffer this issue again and not have a working internet connection.

So - I woke up and the Internet was still working. I did a battery pull (I like doing battery pulls on a daily basis in the morning to refresh memory, etc.) and sure enough when the Berry rebooted I had no connection to BIS...all day (at work so I couldn't go to the AT&T store until the evening). I went to AT&T a few hours ago to troubleshoot. I saw Zeelob's post about getting a new SIM, so I did. And bingo, the SAME Torch registered on the network again, no factory reset.

On the way home I remembered about how quickly I lost service with a battery pull. I tried out my theory and sure enough when I pulled the battery and the phone rebooted I had no connection to BIS.

So I am thinking that the battery pull is messing up the SIM card. Possible? Perhaps. But here's the wild thing. I take the SIM card and put it in my old Bold 9700 and the device immediately registers on the network.

I put it back in the Torch and get nothing....

Now I have no idea what's going on. But I think I narrowed down the issue to doing a freaking battery pull. Have you guys been doing battery pulls?

Anyone else have thoughts?
    Last edited by joethestone23; 08-18-10 at 05:27 PM.
    08-18-10 05:25 PM
    only thing that seems to have worded so far is removing google sync from my Torch. Once I did this and rebooted havent had issues all day on multiple reboots. Havent had an opportunty to try wifi and then get off wifi but the reboot issues seem to have been resolved. any one else try this?
    08-18-10 07:02 PM
    I haven't experienced the BIS issue. However, I notice my connection stalls at times. For example, when I'm connected wifi it takes 3-5 seconds before the pages start to download. Same when sending email..... always seems to stall. When I do a battery pull everything is fast for a while.
    08-18-10 07:56 PM
    There was me thinking that it was only me as I had not seen any posts about this until today. Its very frustrating as there is no rhyme or reason to it. I have been on wifi since launch day as I have it at work and home, but I have only really noticed this issue the past two days so thought it was network related.

Taking it back this weekend if there is no change, with the creaky buttons, wobbly screen and BIS drop outs I'm thinking of suffering my Bold9k for a bit longer.
    08-18-10 08:07 PM
    I am ruling out the battery pull and going back to WiFi being the issue. I have been going now for 48 hours without losing a BIS connection, however, I have not even turned on the WiFi radio, much less connected to my router.

I can do multiple battery pulls and it always seems to connect over 3G, however, I have had to wipe 3 times, each time after I have turned on the WiFi radio.

Very frustrating. But even more frustrating is that I am thinking of keeping the device and never enabling the WiFi.

If you are reading this and are using the torch on both WiFi and 3G signals with no issues, please pipe in to this thread. We would like to hear form you as well.

Thanks.
    08-18-10 08:37 PM
    I have the same problem. Spent more than an hour with ATT and then RIM. No solution. Promised to contact me in 48 hours. I noticed that if I run software update, the Berry logo comes back.
    Last edited by Bill Chambers; 08-18-10 at 09:10 PM.
    08-18-10 08:52 PM
    When you run software update and the berry logo comes back on, do your BIS services also come back?
    08-18-10 09:22 PM
    Yes, it does.However after some time Service disappears and then the logo goesaway as well.
    08-18-10 10:06 PM
    Ahh this happened to me just now, and this is the second time since I got the phone on Friday. Same symtoms. I've already wiped it once, but I REALLY don't want to do it again. I'd like to spend time actually USING the phone, because it actually is pretty good.

I've been on the phone with RIM and ATT for about 2 hrs, got a new SIM, the whole 9. Sidebar: The ATT in store reps sucked and had the nerve to tell me that since I can stll make calls and gets texts I should be fine, "that's what phones do" I wanted to SLAP that man.

But yea. Put simply, no BIS over 3G only, then none over both 3G and Wifi. But occasionally the browser still works.
    Anywho. I've not noticed the cause of it, but it's VERY annoying. It's also proof of how lackluster (I believe) this OS is.

I'm thinking about taking the phone back tomorrow, but as I've read it still happens with the others. So I just think that there needs to be a GOOD OS update pushed out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Snipes; 08-18-10 at 10:48 PM.
    08-18-10 10:39 PM
    I seemed to have the problem briefly on the night I first got it, Monday. Setup my Torch, connected to my WiFi. Later on, when I tried to access App World to find an app, I got the message about needing a data plan, etc. I figured it was a weird glitch that was temporary. Was able to access App World later on.

Haven't had it since. I did go ahead and run the Diagnostic Test in the Mobile Network options, as someone here suggested, and everything seemed to check out.

For troubleshooting: I am using my original SIM from my previous BB (8310), have WiFi on. No problems leaving home WiFi and then being on 3G only elsewhere. No problems since that first hiccup.
    08-19-10 12:41 AM
    Luckily for me at the moment, I'm still getting BIS service over Wifi. But I'm not sure how long this will last.
    08-19-10 08:38 AM
    I'm using a 9700 on Rogers. I've had BIS issues for the last couple days. Drops in and out on 3G. Doesn't seem to have any issues over EDGE or wifi though.

Perhaps it's due to the issues over in the middle east and RIM messing around with the servers?
    08-19-10 08:56 AM
    i have a torch and use wifi at home and at work so i always keep my wifi on. never really had the chance to notice if i drop BIS network when i leave my wifi network but i know i still get notifications even if i'm not within my home or work network. after reading this thread, i consciously tested to see if i'll keep my BIS connection after leaving and then returning to my wifi network. and i did. i watched as my wifi connection was lost because i was out of range already and the BB icon stayed. i even checked under manage connections my service status and BIS is connected to mobile network. i then went to go to a couple of websites. first, yahoo. it took a few seconds trying to connect and then i got a pop up message saying 'unable to connect, data required' or something. but i know i have a BIS data plan. i tried another site, cnn. it loaded rather quickly. tried google, it loaded. tried yahoo again, this time it loaded. even went to blackberry and apple homepages and it worked. so went back to my wifi network and saw that it connected and my BIS icon still stayed. checked manage connections again and now, my BIS connection is connected to wifi and so is my BES. visited the same sites again and all loaded just fine. keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way.

i'm sorry that you guys are having trouble. i hope you guys find the reason and a solution soon!
    08-19-10 10:14 AM
    I picked up a Torch on launch day. That night it started acting up...BIS wouldn't connect over 3G, but I was able to get it over WiFi with no problem. Flash and reload worked for a day without using Wifi at all, then it started again.

Upgraded to .161 2 days ago, and was fine over 3G and Wifi (switching the latter on and off) until today. Cannot get BIS over 3G, but still comes in over Wifi.

Using the SIM that came out of my Bold 9700, which is the same I've been using forever (Bold 9000 and Palm 650 x3).

(Edit) Just did a alt-shft-del and BIS over 3G is back for now.
    08-19-10 12:38 PM
    Quick question, is anyone having the problem using their sd card from their previous BB?
    08-19-10 01:07 PM
    Quick question, is anyone having the problem using their sd card from their previous BB?
    I did. Just copied everything off of it to my computer. Did a full reformat of the card in the BB and then it worked fine.
    08-19-10 01:10 PM
    I have an unlocked Torch and I am using it on TMobile. I am having the same issue but I am using TMobile's UMA service and BIS is connected when I am UMA connected. I can't get 3G since I am on TMO but I noticed a lower-case uma and edge at about 3am in the middle of an insomniac episode, and it's been in and out all day. For me to restore is a giant PITA since I need to reinstall TMO's service books and the UMA certificates, but I find it interesting that it is happening across multiple carriers. Does this suggest a RIM issue as opposed to TMobile, ATT, or Rogers?
    08-19-10 01:16 PM
    I'm using my sim from my 8310. No problems with it.

To the general discussion: While still at home this morning, on the WiFi, I dropped off BIS. Came back within five minutes on its own. I do wonder if there's a bit of an issue with RIM's network. I know for some it doesn't seem to come back at all, but my drops fix themselves, which makes me think a general network issue is going on.
    08-19-10 01:44 PM
    OK, so my BB 9800 has been running fine on 3G for 2 solid days, while sim swapping, battery pulling, etc...

So, just for fun (Yes, lately "fun" is definied as wiping my blackberry on a daily basis), I flipped on the WiFi switch... And then I took a drive...... The results....

As soon as I left my WiFi area, my BIS was gone! Battery pulls, turning radios on/off, everything. Will not come back. However, when back in WiFi area, my BIS comes back and then when I leave WiFi area, it is gone again.

I will swap this bb for a new one and see if I have the same issue. If so, it will need to go back until this is fixed.
    08-19-10 01:54 PM
    OK, so my BB 9800 has been running fine on 3G for 2 solid days, while sim swapping, battery pulling, etc...

So, just for fun (Yes, lately "fun" is definied as wiping my blackberry on a daily basis), I flipped on the WiFi switch... And then I took a drive...... The results....

As soon as I left my WiFi area, my BIS was gone! Battery pulls, turning radios on/off, everything. Will not come back. However, when back in WiFi area, my BIS comes back and then when I leave WiFi area, it is gone again.

I will swap this bb for a new one and see if I have the same issue. If so, it will need to go back until this is fixed.
    Wow no such issues here on both the 9800's we own. Gotta be device related.
    08-19-10 01:57 PM
    This happened to me twice so far. I dropped out of the network for hours, then it spontaneously downloaded a bunch of stuff (messages, texts, pins, etc.) that I had sent to my Torch from my husband's Torch (which has never had the dropping out problem). I thought problem had solved itself. Turned phone off. Went to bed. Woke up. Same problem. Called AT&T and then routed me to a senior tech who told me you can tell it's not in the network by the LACK of the four little BB dots next to the 3G in the upper right corner of the screen. She did everything she could and it wouldn't work. She recommended I return it and get a replacement, but at that moment, it spontaneously downloaded everything. That was yesterday. So far today, so good. But if it happens again, I'm going to replace the phone. And pray that the next one is better.
    08-19-10 01:59 PM
    I'm using my sim from my 8310. No problems with it.

To the general discussion: While still at home this morning, on the WiFi, I dropped off BIS. Came back within five minutes on its own. I do wonder if there's a bit of an issue with RIM's network. I know for some it doesn't seem to come back at all, but my drops fix themselves, which makes me think a general network issue is going on.
    I'm talking about the memory card, not the SIM Card.
    08-19-10 02:00 PM
    Hi everyone. I had this problem on two different phones last week. One phone was on BIS, the other on BES. I was able to fix the problem on both phones and thought I would share it with you all. There are two things you can do, in this case I actually did both, and it permanently solved the problem.

1. AT&T said to perform a Master Reset (Wipe Handheld) - the one where you have to type in "blackberry." I selected the options to remove email, contacts, and user added applications. The last option will not delete pre-installed apps such as Facebook, MySpace, Social Feeds, etc.
    2. AT&T routed me to a BlackBerry data technician (or at least a higher level rep than the main customer service person). This person disconnected my BB service from the network and then added it back. Note: they did not remove my rate plan, just the service books and then reconnected the phone. They will tell you to remove the battery during this and that it might take a few extra moments for the phone to boot up. You will have to remove the battery for at least 5 minutes.

I performed both of these and its been three days and neither phone has disconnected again. Although with BES you will have to reactivate it on the server. Please be aware that you might have to speak to a few people before getting that one knowledgeable technician who is actually aware of this.

Hope this helps everyone.
    08-19-10 02:38 PM
    I am going to let someone else be the guinea pig can anyone report of this worked for them? How were the service books deleted and r�-added?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-10 02:46 PM
550 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD