From BGR:
    Exclusive: BlackBerry Torch 2 gets detailed | BGR | Boy Genius Report

Research In Motion’s “best BlackBerry ever” — the BlackBerry Torch — definitely wasn’t the most competitive device to hit the smartphone market place. But it looks like RIM is trying to change all that with a new take on its QWERTY, horizontal-slider: the BlackBerry Torch 2. BGR has exclusively obtained a photo of the BlackBerry Torch 2 along with the device’s full specifications. Was the Torch’s 600MHz CPU a bit too underpowered for you? You’re in luck, as we can now confirm that the BlackBerry Torch 2 will feature a 1.2GHz CPU with hardware acceleration. Full specifications after the break!

* 1.2GHz processor
    * Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE
    * Tri-band HSPA 14.4Mbps
    * 3.2-inch VGA 640 x 480 capacitive display
    * 8GB built-in memory
    * 512MB RAM
    * Bluetooth 2.1
    * GPS
    * NFC
    * 5-megapixel camera with flash
    * Magnetometer
    * Accelerometer
    * Proximity sensor
    * 1300 mAh battery
    * BlackBerry OS 6.1
    * OpenGL ES
    * 14.6mm thin

Yes, the BlackBerry Torch 2 looks very similar to the original Torch, and we’re told it’s basically the same on the exterior except for a matte silver finish. Internally, however, you can see that there have been quite a few changes made. The BlackBerry Torch 2 is tracking for a late Q3 release on AT&T.
    01-13-11 12:21 PM
    Not sure what to make of all this new news at this moment.
    01-13-11 12:26 PM
    I highly think this is not true.
    01-13-11 12:26 PM
    My upgrade comes up in August so I'll definitely be getting one as soon as they are released.
    01-13-11 12:30 PM
    1.2GHz processor? wow, not taking baby steps anymore.
    01-13-11 12:34 PM
    1300 mAH battery! even the 2 year old Bolds have a higher capacity. Already not interested thanks
    01-13-11 12:36 PM
    Although I've only had my Torch for a month, I am now patiently waiting for the Torch 2 along with OS 6.1.
    01-13-11 12:36 PM
    1300 mAH battery! even the 2 year old Bolds have a higher capacity. Already not interested thanks
    That's because it's a slider, so the body is not as thick where you put the battery in.
    01-13-11 12:38 PM
    The 1300 on my current Torch has been fine for me. It lasts the 18 hours I'm awake each day so that is all I need. My Bold 9000 had a bigger battery but it didn't always make it a full day. You can't really compare to older phones as newer tech usually runs more efficiently.
    01-13-11 12:43 PM
    I don't think this is worthy being called "Torch 2"... It looks identical.... How about putting this CPU into a NEW device with a bigger and better screen....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-11 12:44 PM
    I don't think this is worthy being called "Torch 2"... It looks identical.... How about putting this CPU into a NEW device with a bigger and better screen....
    You want the keyboard to slide out the top or something? How would you drastically re-invent the same thing, precisely?

Oh and I don't really want a bigger screen because that would mean a bigger phone...and I don't want that.

PS: It is a better (higher resolution) screen!
    01-13-11 12:55 PM
    This is the same thinking RIM is hoping for... "They want speed, well here it is... Let's put into the same phone they just bought a few months ago and add the #2 after it!!"...

01-13-11 01:00 PM
    I like it. When my Torch 1 plan is up for renewal, its nice to know that this phone will be available.
    01-13-11 01:00 PM
    You want the keyboard to slide out the top or something? How would you drastically re-invent the same thing, precisely?

Oh and I don't really want a bigger screen because that would mean a bigger phone...and I don't want that.

PS: It is a better (higher resolution) screen!
    They could easily push the screen out further to the bezel and move the BB logo closer to the speaker. 3.5" isnt that much of a stretch from where it is now without making the deice bigger.
    01-13-11 01:04 PM
    This is the same thinking RIM is hoping for... "They want speed, well here it is... Let's put into the same phone they just bought a few months ago and add the #2 after it!!"...

Late Q3 is easily a year after the phones original release.
    01-13-11 01:07 PM
    Apple does pretty much the same thing once a year - Torch it slated for Q3 = 1 year after the first one.

Faster processor, higher resolution screen, a few other upgrades etc.

Personally I don't know what your problem is. If you're not interested, you have plenty of other choices from RIM or others with varying upgrades/downgrades of features.
    Last edited by jeffreii; 01-13-11 at 01:37 PM.
    buwee likes this.
    01-13-11 01:09 PM
    Well I got mine a few months ago and I'm sure a lot of people have to... So a year after it's release they will push out basically the same wphone twice just with some added additions? Yeah, I'll stick to my orch as is... To each their own.

01-13-11 01:11 PM
    Apples does pretty much the same thing once a year - Torch it slated for Q3 = 1 year after the first one.

Faster processor, higher resolution screen, a few other upgrades etc.

Personally I don't know what your problem is. If you're not interested, you have plenty of other choices from RIM or others with varying upgrades/downgrades of features.
    Problem? Lol... Am I not allowed to comment what I think is a "eh" move? If your for it, that's cool.... Enjoy it. People get so defensive about things here, jesus.... Lol

01-13-11 01:14 PM
    Other than the fact that it has the same shell and same battery size, pretty much nothing else is the same.

But I get the feeling if the phone looked different on the outside you would consider it a new phone moreso than if the internals were different...
    01-13-11 01:16 PM
    I don't know about the 1.2 cpu. In the same body I think there's going to be heat issues. As big as the ip4 is it can get rather warm. I don't have a problem w/ the 600 mhz cpu personly. I think the 8gb of memory is nice though.

01-13-11 01:26 PM
    I don't know about the 1.2 cpu. In the same body I think there's going to be heat issues. As big as the ip4 is it can get rather warm. I don't have a problem w/ the 600 mhz cpu personly. I think the 8gb of memory is nice though.

Nah... Heat is more an issue of software optimization and radio reception than it is of anything else.
    01-13-11 01:27 PM
    Well I got mine a few months ago and I'm sure a lot of people have to... So a year after it's release they will push out basically the same wphone twice just with some added additions? Yeah, I'll stick to my orch as is... To each their own.

That is simply how hardware cycles run, they get updated every year with something better.

Still for many people, who just bought the device, this is a huge smack in the face. You go from rocking 3 year old hardware to actually getting with the times. The gap in performance between this phone if the specs were true and the current 9800 would be miles apart. And if WebWorks takes off like RIM wants it, that could mean rich apps from the Playbook would hit this device.

RIM was unequivocally destroyed by the press due to the 9800s completely underpowered device to the standard when it launched (droid x/Galaxy S/iPhone 4/Evo...you get the picture), and im sure sales reflected it. To quote old arrogant Steve Jobs, "when something sells well, you want to tell the world about it". AT&T and RIM have both been amazingly quiet when it comes to that.

RIM has wised up, they beefed the hardware up in nearly every aspect. They added pretty much what everyone expected in the first place.
    jeffreii likes this.
    01-13-11 01:33 PM
    The problem is that you are complaining about something that every tech company in the world does with every product!

Ok, maybe not "every" but "most". Like the post above, this is the hardware cycle. You aren't required to buy a new phone when it comes out - it's your choice - but you are given the option.

Like I said, the highly worshiped Apple/iPhone does the same thing - every year it's the same phone with a few upgrades.
    01-13-11 01:42 PM
    Complaining or voicing an opinion? So you can offer your opinion but I can't because that's "complaining"?.... Lol.... Apple and Rim... Apple to Oranges... Look at RIMs portfolio of devices... They basically all look the same. All I said was with such a CPU you'd think they put into a device that's an actual "new" device... Not a refresh of their previous, considering the Torch was the "new coming" when it dropped... As said, to each their own. No need to feel so bothered about my opinion. We ALL have them.

01-13-11 01:55 PM
    Complaining or voicing an opinion? So you can offer your opinion but I can't because that's "complaining"?.... Lol.... Apple and Rim... Apple to Oranges... Look at RIMs portfolio of devices... They basically all look the same.
    You do realize that RIM has one of the more diverse smartphone hardware designs in their portfolio right? Which is one of the reasons they have hardware fragmentation for their applications....

Companies like Apple and HTC have very similar designs across all handsets.
    01-13-11 02:02 PM
127 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD