Well, the "foam fix" described in my earlier post was working fine, but I finally fell victim to the fear of the unknown...what would happen if that tiny piece of foam broke free (it never budged), and what if I needed to remove it? In an attempt to allay my latter fear, I fished out the foam, though the task was harder than I imagined. That got me thinking about the "perfect fix," short of an exchange. I think I found it and will describe it below.

First an observation about the nature of the problem. I was able to compare side by side two Mexico 4 builds: mine, which had the wiggle, and my colleagues which did not. Based on careful analysis, the problem is NOT caused by "looseness." In fact, my colleagues phone when extended had the wiggle in the screen section, while mine is rock solid when open. In the closed position my colleagues phone was perfect, mine had the wiggle. The difference was that my screen section sat about a millimeter higher above the base section, that's it. When you hold the extended phone to a light, in his the light is barely visible. In mine, more so. This is a tiny difference, but I suspect the source of our wiggle issues.

The fix is very simple. My concept was to close the slight gap, while not messing with the phone's innards AND keeping the appearance nearly perfect. My supplies were heavy duty electrical tape and small, thin scissors (pictured below). I placed a nice tight strip of electrical tape longer than the length of the slider such that the bottom of the tape was about .25" below the top lip of the slider (also pictured below) with the rest of the tape hanging over the tops and sides. I then paced a second strip over the first. I then carefully trimmed around the sides and edge of the slider, which left a tiny amount of overhang that was easily pressed into place and is not noticeable.

The tape form fit perfectly...even though this was my first attempt at this method, the result is nearly perfect...it looks like the tape is part of the phone. The result is also outstanding in terms of stability... my phone is now as solid as my colleagues. Note that I used two strips of tape, in some cases more or less may be needed. I also use a high quality, thick tape that really conformed to the shape of the phone.

Of course, all of this should not be required, but balanced against the hassle of a return of an otherwise perfect phone, I can live with it. Also love the phone!
    09-14-10 10:25 PM
    Interesting - I'll give it a shot. Thanks for taking the time to detail how to do this.

You know its a shame we have to rig a $600 device like this...
    09-15-10 01:40 AM
    Interesting - I'll give it a shot. Thanks for taking the time to detail how to do this.

Thanks. The final result is even better than the picture. You really can't notice anything unusual about the phone with the fix in place. I agree that the fact that we have to do this is a shame, and even more ridiculous that this is not a one off manufacturing error. Based on my observation, the phone was put together correctly. RIM obviously thought this issue was acceptable.
    09-15-10 05:17 AM
    I can't see a pic. I posted a fix by putting black electrical tape behind the screen a few weeks ago. It works good I think. I have since exchanged my phone however. The new one is much tighter. I think they will all eventually develop some looseness over time though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-10 05:25 AM
    I can't see a pic. I posted a fix by putting black electrical tape behind the screen a few weeks ago. It works good I think. I have since exchanged my phone however. The new one is much tighter. I think they will all eventually develop some looseness over time though.

Yup, I saw that along with some other tape fixes. The difference is that in those fixes the tape is fairly noticeable and also goes into the phones innards when the screen is closed. My fix is really hardly noticeable (even if noticed, it looks like a natural part of the phone) and the tape never enters the inside of the phone itself. Shall we say ET v.2!
    09-15-10 05:38 AM
    The only fix, MacGyver, is to return the phone. Foam, electrical tape, cement, etc. What a joke!
    09-15-10 05:54 AM
    The only fix, MacGyver, is to return the phone. Foam, electrical tape, cement, etc. What a joke!
    Agreed to a point. Bought mine off Amazon so the hassle factor is huge...If I could go to an AT&T store and pick out the perfect one, I would. Not only is time and expense at play with Amazon. I'm concerned that unit 2 would have the same problem, a worse different problem, or both! The deciding factor to me is that I do not believe the phone is broken...the wiggle is unfortunately within RIM's specs.
    09-15-10 06:01 AM
    Ha ha, well, first of all, it is much more accurate to say that the bloody device has a wobble, not a "wiggle."

A "wiggle" is the act of moving "to and fro with quick jerky or shaking motions."

A "wobble," on the other hand, is "a hobbling or rocking unequal motion (as of a wheel unevenly mounted)." An unevenly mounted device -- such as a table with uneven legs or a slider screen unevenly mounted on its base -- wobbles, not "wiggles."

Second, we seem to have two discrete wobbles, closed and open. But they are not mutually exclusive. I experienced both on my second Torch. It wobbled horribly when open -- to the point where you could hear it rattle if you lightly shook the device with the slider screen up. It also wobbled when closed.

My current device, which I checked out thoroughly during the exchange, was completely solid when I got it. It developed a slight open wobble after a week or so, which it still has (although it sometimes is not there, depending on how I open the slider or hold the device).

I was gifted an Otterbox from someone who didn't want it, and while I don't like its bulk and I question its ability to protect the phone adequately -- the top part is prone to popping off -- it does mask the wobble considerably.

If/when I don't use the Otterbox, I'm going to fight off all OCD tendencies and accustom myself to any slight wobble. As Dvx67 suggested, they're all going to wobble to some extent after a period of time.

If you have what you deem an unacceptable wobble now and are still within the 30-day period, the ONLY real solution is to exchange it.
    09-15-10 06:14 AM
    I'm just past my 30-day period and have started to notice the "wiggle" or "wobble." I'm going to give this method a try. The foam idea had me nervous, just like the OP said. Thanks wxman123.
    09-15-10 09:09 AM
    Returned my first torch with a bad wobble. The att sales person suggested the AGF case to minimize the wiggle. Seems to be working pretty well now.
    09-15-10 09:34 AM
    Ha ha, well, first of all, it is much more accurate to say that the bloody device has a wobble, not a "wiggle."

A "wiggle" is the act of moving "to and fro with quick jerky or shaking motions."

A "wobble," on the other hand, is "a hobbling or rocking unequal motion (as of a wheel unevenly mounted)." An unevenly mounted device -- such as a table with uneven legs or a slider screen unevenly mounted on its base -- wobbles, not "wiggles."

Second, we seem to have two discrete wobbles, closed and open. But they are not mutually exclusive. I experienced both on my second Torch. It wobbled horribly when open -- to the point where you could hear it rattle if you lightly shook the device with the slider screen up. It also wobbled when closed.

My current device, which I checked out thoroughly during the exchange, was completely solid when I got it. It developed a slight open wobble after a week or so, which it still has (although it sometimes is not there, depending on how I open the slider or hold the device).

I was gifted an Otterbox from someone who didn't want it, and while I don't like its bulk and I question its ability to protect the phone adequately -- the top part is prone to popping off -- it does mask the wobble considerably.

If/when I don't use the Otterbox, I'm going to fight off all OCD tendencies and accustom myself to any slight wobble. As Dvx67 suggested, they're all going to wobble to some extent after a period of time.

If you have what you deem an unacceptable wobble now and are still within the 30-day period, the ONLY real solution is to exchange it.

I'd agree if that were truly a solution...and if I could do it at the AT&T store instead of Amazon. I would give Amazon a shot if I was reasonably confident the next unit would be trouble free. Given the experience of those who went to the AT&T store looking for the perfect unit, the odds are against me! I'm banking on the fact that this problem is not a "defect" and will not get any worse. If that is the case, the tape fix will suffice. Again, I don't think this is a looseness issue (at least in my case). My slider was as tight or tighter than my colleague's with no wobble. The difference was that my tight slider sat a fraction higher above the base. The tape mitigates that issue...and the beauty is that if somehow the problem worsens a tad because looseness does come into play later, I can always add another strip of tape! Beyond that, if things get really bad (which I don't expect), I would invoke the warranty and get a replacement unit down the road...it would be refurbished but if the wobble problem really IS a problem, I suspect RIM will have it sorted out by then.
    09-15-10 09:36 AM
    My MEX4 had the closed wiggle, I tried dismantling mine up to the point where the ribbon connectors had to be popped, so I never saw the mechs, although I might do it when I'm free.

Gonna try the top tape and middle tape. I hope it works, I'm getting tired of all them iPeople making fun of my what they call "Nokia".
    09-15-10 05:19 PM
    My MEX4 had the closed wiggle, I tried dismantling mine up to the point where the ribbon connectors had to be popped, so I never saw the mechs, although I might do it when I'm free.

Gonna try the top tape and middle tape. I hope it works, I'm getting tired of all them iPeople making fun of my what they call "Nokia".
    I'd start with the top tape only...it blends right in and solved my issue entirely. The middle tape affects the look of the phone and will be in the innards when the phone is closed, doubt it will lead to trouble but it could if it gets caught on something. Let us know if the fix works for you.
    09-15-10 06:14 PM
    Agreed to a point. Bought mine off Amazon so the hassle factor is huge...If I could go to an AT&T store and pick out the perfect one, I would. Not only is time and expense at play with Amazon. I'm concerned that unit 2 would have the same problem, a worse different problem, or both! The deciding factor to me is that I do not believe the phone is broken...the wiggle is unfortunately within RIM's specs.
    I was curious to see whether this was solely a RIM problem, or a slider problem in general. Seeing's how all the hater's look for anything to jump on, be it a "wiggle" or "wobble", or a "creak" or a "squeek" (hehehe..Dr.Seuss FTW), this is definately not exclusive to RIM. Most of the Android slider's i looked into also had issues with them, and the most common fix amongst them i found was.....(drum roll please)......ignoring it!

My very first "smart phone" was a WinMo UTStarcomm landscape slider. This thing had soo much play in it that you could easily get close to 1/2" of play on either corner of it. Didn't bother me in the least. I didn't know any better and it certainly didn't inhibit the function of the phone in any way. I know alot of you are OCD about these things, and i think it's great that the OP is on here not only coming up with potential "solutions" for these things, but that your sharing them with the rest of those that may also feel the same. Props
    tjioer likes this.
    09-15-10 07:18 PM
    I was curious to see whether this was solely a RIM problem, or a slider problem in general.
    The loose slider "problem" is definitely not just RIM/Blackberry but a function of this type of form factor. There are plenty of posts in forums around the web discussing fixes for the Nokia N95. I think some of them used electrical tape as well.

This is my first slider (and first BB) and I have some looseness in the closed position; none in the open position (Mexico 4 unit). It's not something that bothers me at this point, but thanks to the OP for the potential future fix.
    09-15-10 08:42 PM
    The loose slider "problem" is definitely not just RIM/Blackberry but a function of this type of form factor.
    Bullcr*p.... My wife's old LG Shine felt better when sliding, and was rock solid... STILL IS AFTER 3 YEARS! Absolutely zero play or wiggle/wobble.

And the slide action felt higher quality and springier...

Stop trying to rationalize...
    The most obvious difference is that the LG was 'all metal construction', and the BB is 90% plastic.

Oddly enough, the LG was a $50 phone....

My old HTC 8525 has absolutely zero play after 2 years of use either.

Face it, BB made a crappy slider. I likeve almost everything else about the phone though. (except the cheap plastic stick-on buttons...)
    09-15-10 11:30 PM
    Bullcr*p.... My wife's old LG Shine felt better when sliding, and was rock solid... STILL IS AFTER 3 YEARS! Absolutely zero play or wiggle/wobble.

And the slide action felt higher quality and springier...

The most obvious difference is that the LG was 'all metal construction', and the BB is 90% plastic.

Oddly enough, the LG was a $50 phone....

My old HTC 8525 has absolutely zero play after 2 years of use either.

Face it, BB made a crappy slider. I likeve almost everything else about the phone though. (except the cheap plastic stick-on buttons...)
    Well thank you for clarifying that NO other phone has slider issues except the BB Torch. It is apparent that every owner of an Android slider who experienced wiggle must have imagined it..because obviously you and your wifes phones being perfect are therefore the standard by which all sliders are built. I guess if only LG was still relevant in any way as a smartphone powerhouse..we would live in a perfect world.

09-16-10 12:27 AM

End of story.

I really am getting fed up with my Torch with small thing's like it's wieght now, and the godforsaken Standby/Mute buttons being mega sensitive. And also Standby mode doesnt exist at all...

Also it makes squeaking noises from various areas, and its just an utter annoyance. God wish the 9780 would hurry it's *** up already..
    09-16-10 12:36 AM
    I had a Samsung D880 Slider, the one with the Duos dual SIM thing, and its slider worked perfectly throughout its life, it, like the 9800, was definitely metal and plastic.

I'll be dismantling my Torch once the tape fix gets too thick, and bend the metal slider bits for tightness.
    09-16-10 01:28 AM
    Well thank you for clarifying that NO other phone has slider issues except the BB Torch. It is apparent that every owner of an Android slider who experienced wiggle must have imagined it..because obviously you and your wifes phones being perfect are therefore the standard by which all sliders are built.
    Where the **** did I say that? (or anything about an Android...
    Your comprehension skills are lacking...

You said earlier tat ALL sliders have wiggle. You are clearly wrong.
    09-16-10 08:47 AM
    Most of the Android slider's i looked into
    As i said..MOST of the ANDROID phones I looked into...meaning i didn't scour every friggin page on the internet about every phone ever made, just one of the more popular ones. Obviously i wouldn't look into iPhones slide issues for evident reasons

Bullcr*p....

Face it, BB made a crappy slider.
    Where the **** did I say that? (or anything about an Android...
    Your comprehension skills are lacking...

You said earlier tat ALL sliders have wiggle. You are clearly wrong.
    Perhaps it's your READING skills "tat" are lacking.

But anyways....If a phones' "wiggles" or "wobbles" are something that drive you (the consumer) nuts, then my suggestion would be to return it and get something else. If you're a regular to this forum, and you buy the phone knowing full well that there have been people who have had "issues" with this, and yet your OCD self goes and buys one anyways only to later cry about it..well../facepalm
    09-16-10 09:22 AM
    Do you still think that "all slider phones wiggle", so BB isn't guilty of making a substandard slider?

Mine is fine, fixed perfectly w/ 1 strip of tape. No worries here... (Thanks for the concern though)

Oh, and so sorry about the typo...
    Here's a few more, as it seems to really bother you:

yuroea
    sutip
    kcdihdea

kj1978 likes this.
    09-16-10 08:49 PM
    Best fix: AGF GRT case.
    09-16-10 09:08 PM
    Best fix: AGF GRT case.
    +1 to that.
    09-16-10 10:13 PM
    Do you still think that "all slider phones wiggle", so BB isn't guilty of making a substandard slider?

Mine is fine, fixed perfectly w/ 1 strip of tape. No worries here... (Thanks for the concern though)

Oh, and so sorry about the typo...
    Here's a few more, as it seems to really bother you:

yuroea
    sutip
    kcdihdea

Lol..this is too funny. Perhaps i should have said "quite a few", rather than "most"...because you still seem to think i'm implying "all". And no, building a "crappy" slider doen't benefit anyone, but what's crappy to one may not be to someone else.

On a side note, your play on words was amusing..but you forgot the "d" in "stupi" . Doodihead would have suited the tone of your argument better as well
    Last edited by Rickroller; 09-18-10 at 08:50 AM.
    09-17-10 10:38 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD