First off, sorry if the title is kind of confusing. I wasn't too sure how to label it. Anyway, I just have a question about how I should charge my new BB Torch battery. I'm on .284 and this battery is very efficient and reliable. I usually get around 3 days + if I'm not heavily using the device. The thing is, I usually plug it in to the charger when it gets around 15-20%. Am I properly giving the battery good treatment? And is this good for the battery to let it drain that low before I charge? Around what percentage should I start charging the BB so that the battery can last for months to come?

Thanks guys.
    11-04-10 12:50 PM
    I charge my battery every night no matter how low the battery is and leave it plugged in overnight and I have had any issues with the battery. They're designed not to "over charge" and from what I've read there's nothing wrong with topping up or charging the battery when its not telling you to charge it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-10 01:08 PM
    First off, sorry if the title is kind of confusing. I wasn't too sure how to label it. Anyway, I just have a question about how I should charge my new BB Torch battery. I'm on .284 and this battery is very efficient and reliable. I usually get around 3 days + if I'm not heavily using the device. The thing is, I usually plug it in to the charger when it gets around 15-20%. Am I properly giving the battery good treatment? And is this good for the battery to let it drain that low before I charge? Around what percentage should I start charging the BB so that the battery can last for months to come?

Thanks guys.
    Recharge according to your usage pattern to maximize your battery life.

Recharge your battery every 18 hours if you:

Read/send more than 100 emails, BlackBerry Instant Messenger messages or text messages per day Talk for more than 50 minutes per day Browse the Internet, use an application or play a game for more than 10 minutes per day Recharge your battery every 24 hours if you:

Read/send 50-99 emails, BlackBerry Instant Messenger messages or text messages per day Talk for 20-50 minutes per day Browse the Internet, use an application or play a game for 5-10 minutes per day Recharge your battery every 36 hours if you:

Read/send less than 50 emails, BlackBerry Instant Messenger messages or text messages per day Talk, for less than 20 minutes per day Browse the Internet
    11-04-10 01:10 PM
    I have an OEM charging pod at the office and home. When at the office, it sits in the charging pod. When I am at home and not using it, it stays in the pod as well as overnight. In the car, I use an OEM car charger on the ride to and from work. There is really no wrong way. I just like having the power topped off in the event that something happens and I need my phone.
    11-04-10 01:13 PM
    The device will stop the charging process once the battery has reached 100%, so there is no worry in 'over-charging'.

On the other hand, it can be detrimental to the battery to let it drain all the way.

Otherwise there is no right or wrong. Charging overnight is a safe bet, but if your system is working, 15-20% shouldn't cause any longevity issues.
    11-04-10 01:54 PM
    Simple rules for battery charging

Charge it when you go to sleep.

That is all.
    11-04-10 02:59 PM
    Every battery has a charging life...charge only when needed. Charging every night decreases life. Use only OEM chargers...and avoid car chargers unless emergency ;-)
    None of this is true of Li-Ion batteries except the part about charging life.

1) Li-Ion batteries are meant to be charged often, not as needed. This is very
    well documented.

2) Charging the battery over night will cause it no harm as there is an
    overcharge protection built in. Again, well documented.

3) Car chargers are perfectly fine. I have been using the same charger bought
    at Family Dollar for over two years. Nothing bad happened to my devices.
    11-04-10 05:01 PM
    None of this is true of Li-Ion batteries except the part about charging life.

1) Li-Ion batteries are meant to be charged often, not as needed. This is very
    well documented.

2) Charging the battery over night will cause it no harm as there is an
    overcharge protection built in. Again, well documented.

3) Car chargers are perfectly fine. I have been using the same charger bought
    at Family Dollar for over two years. Nothing bad happened to my devices.
    I absolutely agree and was going to write a very similar response. Li-Ion batteries are completely different so you don't need to consider all of the myths of overcharging, training the battery, etc. like we used to

Enjoy it..use it and abuse it like BB's are meant to be treated!!
    11-04-10 06:39 PM
    Thanks on all your output guys. I appreciate it.
    11-05-10 10:51 AM
    Hi,
    Thanks for all your input!! It was very helpful.
    I've got a new question, to which I'll make a new post, but start it here too.

Normally, I do not let my phone go into the last bit of power on the battery, yesterday was an exception.
    I went to bed last night with the battery icon in the RED.
    I plugged it in and it didn't get to full charge until 10 plus hours later! Is that normal?
    02-06-11 11:55 AM
    I plugged it in and it didn't get to full charge until 10 plus hours later! Is that normal?
    When charging it, was it turned on, or off? Mine was also completely drained yesterday morning, and it took a solid 3-4hours to fully charge it!

Granted that my phone was turned off at that moment!

JP
    02-06-11 04:36 PM
    At night, I turn mine off because I don't want to be disturbed. During the day at the office, I leave it on.
    02-06-11 04:53 PM
    Simple rules for battery charging

Charge it when you go to sleep.

That is all.
    +1

02-06-11 04:55 PM
    Here, read this and you will have a good idea of how good the BB battery really is.
    02-06-11 07:59 PM
    I had an experience yesterday that relates to the topic of this thread.

I always set my call phone in its charging cradle at night; makes a great alarm clock. This worked great with my Storms; now I have a new Torch 9850. Yesterday when I woke up the battery indicator was just a red outline. When I tried to charge the phone I got the message "Phone cannot charge battery" or words to that effect. I tried to activate the mobile network and got the message like "Not enough battery charge to start mobile network".
    I put in a new battery and everything worked fine. I then went to the local Verizon premium retailer and bought two more batteries. The lady there said that I should not charge my battery overnight as I have been doing, because that reduces the life of the battery. What do you think? Could this have made the battery blow out on me? And if not, what else might have caused this problem? (I have started using a new charger, in case the one I was using is defective.)
    02-22-12 09:41 AM
    I had an experience yesterday that relates to the topic of this thread.

I always set my call phone in its charging cradle at night; makes a great alarm clock. This worked great with my Storms; now I have a new Torch 9850. Yesterday when I woke up the battery indicator was just a red outline. When I tried to charge the phone I got the message "Phone cannot charge battery" or words to that effect. I tried to activate the mobile network and got the message like "Not enough battery charge to start mobile network".
    I put in a new battery and everything worked fine. I then went to the local Verizon premium retailer and bought two more batteries. The lady there said that I should not charge my battery overnight as I have been doing, because that reduces the life of the battery. What do you think? Could this have made the battery blow out on me? And if not, what else might have caused this problem? (I have started using a new charger, in case the one I was using is defective.)

My old 9800 got charge every night, for 1 years and a 2 month (got the torch around December 1rst), battery was still good. It got charged 425 time, and I'm still using that battery in my 9810 (as a spare).
    02-22-12 01:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD