I am interested in upgrading my SD Card on my Torch to a 32GB card but wanted to poll other forum members for their expereince. I am trying to determine the best brand and class number for compatibility with the Torch.

A quick search of the forum only gave results of people complaining of software problems or trying to understand the class types, but no one really discussed the best brands or if the Torch had a class number limitation. I would love it if a class 10 would work in the Torch.

Thanks

Update: Brands to trust (from a reputable seller only)
    Sandisk
    Kingston: 4GB, 8GB, 32GB, Class 2, 4, and 8 GB Class 10
    Last edited by wiggy11; 07-28-11 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Updating best brands list
    07-26-11 11:16 AM
    Wiggy,

If you just scrolled down, or used search, this subject has come up at least 10x in a week.

There are three brands or so, Sandisk and Kinsgston, the third eludes me. They are ALL THE SAME. Slowest speed is class 4, fastest is class 10. These are write speeds, so it makes absolutley no difference in a BB device. It will store more music or pictures, that's it. We are talking microsecond differences if it could even be measured. Faster than light. So don't worry, just buy one, it's like computer memory, unless for a super fast machine, Excel won't run faster, only good for gaming. And games on a BB don't require that kind of speed (yet), and it will be the network, not the card.

For someone who has posted so many x, you shoud learn to use the search function, I'm just answering to be polite, but these constant repetitive posts are VERY tiresome.

There are no software problems, it's a tiny memory card. Put it in, format it, good to go. There is no software associated with these cards, and unless it's a $10 knockoff from overseas, buy from one of the name brands and they work fine, unless you screw with it. Takes about 2 minutes to pop in and if you are hooked up to BB Desktop, you can move pictures, files, music to it easily.
    07-26-11 03:56 PM
    [QUOTE=rfalter;6515328]

For someone who has posted so many x, you shoud learn to use the search function, I'm just answering to be polite, but these constant repetitive posts are VERY tiresome.

QUOTE]

@rfalter - For someone with so many posts, you might learn to be less abrasive in your responses. I did search and there wasn't anything that was Torch specific. But there are many discussions on the topic in the forum...I did read many threads.

I have been burned with incompatibility issues on the standard and Micro SDHC cards in the past. Some brands of readers don't support the faster read/write speeds simply because the firmware of the controller wasn't programmed to work with it. I would like to get a Class 10, but wanted to see if there was anyone that has bought and tried a Class 10 of any brand for compatibility. Additionally, if we had a good consolidated listing of the best brands that have been tried, that would be useful.
    07-26-11 08:07 PM
    I've had multiple pny and kingston ones without any probs for years.
    07-26-11 09:59 PM
    I have been burned with incompatibility issues on the standard and Micro SDHC cards in the past. Some brands of readers don't support the faster read/write speeds simply because the firmware of the controller wasn't programmed to work with it. I would like to get a Class 10, but wanted to see if there was anyone that has bought and tried a Class 10 of any brand for compatibility. Additionally, if we had a good consolidated listing of the best brands that have been tried, that would be useful.
    It's pointless to seek out a class 10. As rfalter pointed out, perhaps too indelicately for some sensitivities here, class is essentially irrelevant to read speeds because it measures write speed. I have the original class 2 -- yes, CLASS 2 -- SanDisk 32GB that was available last summer when I bought my Torch. No problems whatsoever. (As an aside, SanDisk updated its newer ones to Class 4 at the beginning of the year, from what I understand.)

But if you want to spend double the price and gain nothing of consequence, be my guest.
    wiggy1 likes this.
    07-27-11 06:03 AM
    JasW - That is the review I was looking for. Someone that actually uses a particular card in their Torch.

Erwaso - What do you currently use in your Torch? I too have had good success with Kingston, but had an incompatibility issue between a Kingston 16GB class 6 card and a Ricoh OEM card reader in one of my laptops, last year. Ricoh had written a driver for one of their controllers which the laptop manufacture had used that caused the Kingston card to not be read while the card could be read in my desktop Ricoh reader just fine as well as an older camera. Ricoh finally updated the driver for my laptop manufacture so I could read the card eventually, but it was a nightmare when I first discovered the incompatibility. This is why I am a bit more cautious to confirm compatibility before I jump in with a flash card.
    07-27-11 08:14 AM
    The SanDisk cards are $50 on Amazon fulfilled by Amazon. You can't go wrong, so I would just do it. I never had to format or do anything to mine -- I just popped it in, and ran Music Sync on DM to get all of my tunes on. I haven't taken it out in almost a year now.
    07-27-11 08:42 AM
    JasW - That is the review I was looking for. Someone that actually uses a particular card in their Torch.

Erwaso - What do you currently use in your Torch? I too have had good success with Kingston, but had an incompatibility issue between a Kingston 16GB class 6 card and a Ricoh OEM card reader in one of my laptops, last year. Ricoh had written a driver for one of their controllers which the laptop manufacture had used that caused the Kingston card to not be read while the card could be read in my desktop Ricoh reader just fine as well as an older camera. Ricoh finally updated the driver for my laptop manufacture so I could read the card eventually, but it was a nightmare when I first discovered the incompatibility. This is why I am a bit more cautious to confirm compatibility before I jump in with a flash card.
    Kingston 8gb. Takes about 1min 30secs to transfer a 1.2gb movie file when my laptop is plugged into device. I don't use the adapter or a reader.
    07-27-11 09:53 AM
    I have an 8GB class 10 *gasp* by Dane-Elec.
    The only reason I have a class 10 was because of the price.

I bought it on sale off TigerDirect.ca (use TigerDirect.com in US), plus my company gets a discount from them too.

It's been a year so I can't remember the exact price anymore, but it was under $20 and came with an SD adapter and a miniSD adapter too.

I don't appreciate any speed differences between this and the class 2's or 4's I've had previously, just as Jas alluded to above.
    07-27-11 05:24 PM
    Apparently they are not all the same. I just upgraded to a PNY Class 10 8gb microsd and now I cannot download podcasts. Pictures and video work fine, but for some reason the podcasts keep failing to load. I have formatted the disk numerous times and reloaded the podcast software as well as batt pulls. For the life of me I can't seem to figure out why this upgrade would affect it in such a way.
    02-02-12 11:29 PM
    I use a SandDisk Class 4 16GB and its worked perfect. The higher classes will be better, but a much higher cost. 32gb Class 10 seems extreme for the 9800 torch. But it may be better for the 9810 version.
    02-03-12 11:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD