I have an AT&T Blackberry Torch 9800 that will randomly get stuck requesting data (the arrows in the upper right corner are lit up) until the battery dies and it will get extremely hot (105-106 degrees). Here's some additional details:

1) If I turn off JUST data services, it stops the request, but it will continue again as soon as you turn data services back on.

2) This problem NEVER occurs if I have working Wi-Fi and in fact moving to an area with a Wi-Fi hotspot will cure the problem.

3) Resetting the phone is the only way to fix the problem, but it will come back randomly.

4) It seems to happen often if I lose my signal, but not always. I haven't been able to track down which program is doing this. Ive turned off all background programs and it still does it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    11-01-11 12:54 PM
    Sounds like you have a rogue app that is pulling (or pushing) a large amount of data. Do you know of any data-hungry apps you've installed?

Try starting in safe mode and see if it still happens. Press Alt-RightShift-Del for 4 seconds to reset the phone. When the red light comes on, hold down the Back key next to the trackpad; count to 20 then let go. Safe Mode does a bare bones startup, without any 3rd party apps. The screen will say "Safe Mode" across the top, and the phone will ask you at some point whether to continue in Safe Mode. If Safe Mode cures the data thrashing problem, then one of your installed apps is to blame.
    11-01-11 01:20 PM
    Thank you for your help.

The program causing the problem was the official RIM Blackberry News Reader that came with the phone. I was using it to read RSS feeds and it was getting stuck trying to update them. I switched to using Google Reader and deleted it from my phone and I've had no issues since.
    11-17-11 10:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD