My Aim :
    Use Wifi and not network data when in a Wifi area, while keeping my network and BBM switched "on", and receive calls.

The Wifi in my house works perfectly.
    However, if I want to use the internet from my phone in my house, (while simultaneously keeping my phone and BBM "on") my phone uses the network data, and NOT the home wifi. Thus I get charged for data use through my network.
    The only way I can use the wifi from my phone, is if I un-select the Mobile Network Options and select Wifi.

To solve this, I discussed with a friend of mine, he showed me that his BB Torch has an option called 'Connection Preference' under Manage
    Connections-> Mobile Network Options, where it said that wifi was preferred! This was the answer!

BUT MY PHONE DOESN'T SHOW THIS OPTION under Manage Connections!

HOW do I get it?! How come he has it?

My phone is unlocked, Telus Mobile. Latest OS.
    04-06-11 12:03 PM
    Neither does mine. Some torch's have different options(depends on where it was bought or what carrier it was sold from). I remember when the torch first came out overseas they had the option of 3g only while torch's here in the states dont have that option.

By default, if connected to wifi your torch will use that as the preferred network for BIS, quick way to check is go to service status and under the option "Blackberry Internet Service" that should say wifi not network data. Although there are certain apps that will prefer network data over wifi, most of these can be changed in the apps options.
    04-06-11 12:07 PM
    Something curious here. WHAT IF, since T-Mobile is the only U.S. (Don't know about Canada...) carrier that has UMA, you installed one of their OS's; do you reckon that the "WiFi Preferred" would show up? Just speculation. MuffiZainu, what carrier's OS are you running? Telus Mobile's?
    04-06-11 12:22 PM
    Here is a list of participating Carriers/Devices...

UMA Technology : Participants

Edit: Slightly older list. Cingular is now AT&T, and they have NO UMA!
    04-06-11 12:23 PM
    Something curious here. WHAT IF, since T-Mobile is the only U.S. (Don't know about Canada...) carrier that has UMA, you installed one of their OS's; do you reckon that the "WiFi Preferred" would show up? Just speculation. MuffiZainu, what carrier's OS are you running? Telus Mobile's?
    Naa, we all thought this at first too with the 3g only thing I posted about. Didn't make a difference.
    04-06-11 12:24 PM
    Naa, we all thought this at first too with the 3g only thing I posted about. Didn't make a difference.
    Aighty. Darnit. Just a thought. I wonder what make the difference??
    04-06-11 12:26 PM
    I did have the option on my original version of my os, but I just did an update and the options gone now. Can I roll back to my previous version?
    04-23-11 08:32 PM
    Sorry for the Delay.

BBRYCnvnedMe - You asked me about my carriers OS?
    My 9800 Torch was purchased from Canada, and unlocked somewhere else (no idea).

When I start the mobile, it shows Telus.
    I am currently in the USA, using a T-Mobile Sim.

Now, is there any hope ?

homer1475 - you mentioned there are Apps that can tweak the Wifi preferred option? Care to share a name? That would be comforting for the time being
    04-24-11 10:06 PM
    By default, your torch, and core apps will always prefer wifi over mobile data. Some 3rd party apps must be configured seperately... There is no device setting, as it is built in. You will still need BIS service for the drvice to function properly over wifi, even if mobile data is not being used.

The easiest way to tell is if the blackberry logo (4 dots) are next to the wifi symbol (top right) you are on wifi. If the 4 dots are next to 3G (or your mobile network connection) then you are on mobile data...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-11 10:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD