I love the concept and looks like it was put together really well. I have 6.0 os on my 9780. but id really like to see what its like on the touch screen! i think this will sell really well! its got a large touch screen so music/video/web will be nice like the store but you will then have that nice slider for a keyboard where the storm fell flat! combining the best of both phones!
    08-04-10 07:58 AM
    I've always thought of BBs as appealing to the same audience who likes IBM (now Lenovo) ThinkPads. If you need to get 'er done, you use a BB. If you're a stylin' sort you can use your kewl phone like the Android OS devices or iPhone in the same way that some notebook users would prefer a Macbook or a Macbook Pro or an Alienware device.

I'm OK if BBs are a bit behind the bleeding edge as long as they're at the leading edge like the 9800 is.

Now my Bold 9700 is like, so "last year" (said with a SoCal valley girl accent).
    08-04-10 08:50 AM
    I started out skeptical about the 9800, as I've always hated sliders. Like many people on here on CrackBerry, the more I saw, the more I liked it. The improved browser made me actually want a larger screen for the first time, and I actually don't mind a slower processor and less resolution as I value longer batter life more. For me the 9800 is the best of all worlds: decent browser, big but not Evo-big screen, decent battery (I hope), and BlackBerry email and vertical keyboards, and as a heavy RSS and Twitter user, a great Social Feeds applicaton. (I don't like horizontal keyboards, and touchscreen only keyboards are even worse.)

Unlike many here on CrackBerry though, I'm not disappointed after seeing it, (I had thoroughly looked at Sal's and everyone else's advanced peeks, so knew what we were getting), and would eagerly get one the day it comes out. The only thing keeping me from getting it is ATT's exclusivity. (I have a sweet grandfathered TMobile plan that I refuse to give up for any phone: $20 BIS with email and unlimited data, and $2 unlimited messaging.)

Hopefully, if T-Mobile eventually gets this device, it'll have any first-adopter bugs fixed.
    Last edited by EliasZuniga; 08-04-10 at 10:45 AM.
    08-04-10 10:41 AM
    everyone is jumping the gun and NOBODY on this forum has even touched the phone

What about future OS releases, I'm sure it will be a totally different ball field once they start releasing upgraded OS's with more bug fixes and better performance.

Everyone really just needs to shutup,

oh and yes I will be buying this phone the day it comes out

/ thread
    08-04-10 11:37 AM
    I've already glanced over the few other hate threads... granted, I slept through them, the complaints reminded me of highschool really... where only two or three people knew what they were talking about, and the remaining ten to twenty didn't.

Anyway, very happy, AND excited, especially since I've talked with ATT, and have confirmed a early upgrade to the BlackBerry 9800, from my BlackBerry Bold, at 250$s, its a little bit more... but well, just gotta give it a shot, it'll get its workout especially since the 12 is a day before I leave for a Convention.

I'll be bringing along, non-the-less, my old Faithful, just in case. Thank god for interchangability.

Yea, it does, raise a few worries about whats NEXT. but ya know. I bought a Intel Core 2 Duo, and a Motherboard one christmas... That motherboard was discontinued TWO WEEKS LATER. Those Intel Core 2's? Well, the Intel "i" series is out, and even those are coming to their "ENd of Life" already, as the new processors Intel's spitting out will have a new socket that those "I' series Processors wont work with!
    08-04-10 11:50 AM
    i will be getting this device for sure. come to think about it i do not remember any device from RIM that has gotten me more excited. I can not wait to pick this up.
    So this device is GSM and CDMA?
    08-04-10 11:59 AM
    I'm positive it's a Torch 9800.
    08-04-10 12:01 PM
    i can't wait.. but i think i have to force myself to wait for Rogers to release it for warranty, but i;m itching!!

by fluke i am going to Ohio on the 12th to visit cedar point and have some QT with the wifey.. but i was debating whether to get the 9800 from AT&T...

can i just walk in and buy one without an account?
    08-04-10 12:18 PM
    Not that you'll ever read this because your over-the-top trolling got you banned, but back in 2008, the 9000 was more than adequate for my needs, in large part because it was better in every way than my previous phone.

It's only been in the last year or so that I wanted a (1) better browser (having become jealous of the browser on my wife's iPhone 3Gs), (2) a larger screen (my eyes are getting bad), and (3) more memory (after a year of accumulating apps, it got to the point where I could no longer just keep as many apps on the phone as I wanted).

The Torch meets those needs. You can twist the baseball analogy however you want, but that simple fact remains. I don't want or need my phone to project video onto a wall or have a front-facing camera or have any of those other bright 'n shiny toy-like features you and your trolling ilk claim is necessary to make the Torch a player.
    i'd have to agree with you 100%...most phones lose their charm after a couple weeks...main purpose for me and a lot of other people is phone calls emails, txt, and some web browsing...this phone looks like it will do just that a lot better than my current bb...so for the people that use phones for work...as blackberry's are known for business phones this phone will more than suffice...it achieves way more than the average BB user needs and personally i don't need the video out and other stuff especially with the increased amounts of tablets to be released by year end i would rather have my media run on a tablet...would much rather watch a movie on a 10" rather than 4" screen...also rather browse the web on a bigger screen...btw for us bb users the pad to be released by rim is supposed to tether with your BB and give internet access throught the BB which is def a plus.
    08-04-10 02:50 PM
    I for one think the torch is gorgeous.

I love sliders, and look forward to seeing this in person.

This girl across the street is gorgeous too...doesn't mean she good for anything.
    08-04-10 02:54 PM
    As someone who still loves my Bold 9000 and would not even consider trading it in for a free iPhone 4 or any Android device...I can only hope the 9800 is the upgrade I've been waiting for.

In my mind I'll gain:

-Touchscreen (while retaining the keyboard, which is my #1 reason for being faithful to BlackBerry)
    -4x the device memory and 4x the onboard storage
    -Much improved camera
    -Trackpad
    -OS6 w/ better browser
    -Bigger screen

That being said, I still have 3 main concerns that need to be addressed before I ditch my 9000:

1) Is the battery life on the 9800 going to be acceptable?
    2) Is there actually going to be the "lag" that every review seems to show...even though I saw no such lag on Salomondrin's videos...his pre-release device seemed quite snappy.
    3) Hardware issues...is the vertical slider something that's comfortable for me to use? I hated my last two HTC devices with horizontal sliders because the keyboards sucked and the need to rotate and slide out the keyboard was annoying...I'm also concerned about going from the larger 9000 keyboard to the more 9700-esque 9800 keyboard.

Once again, there are really no other devices on the market that I am willing to try...as I am faithfully in love with the Bold keyboard. I would never go to a touchscreen only device or one with a crappy keyboard.
    08-04-10 03:59 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD