I decided to let my Torch go to Low Batt just to see how long it lasts.
    I took it off the charger May 20th at 5am, and now it's been 56 hours and it is still going.

My question is have any of your tried to see how long your phone goes without charging, and how long does it last?
    05-22-11 11:24 AM
    Oh goody ! Another thread about the battery... A simple search would have returnes about 3 other threads of the same subject...

To answer the question and make this post meaningful instead of trolling, my torch will last me between 36 and 48 hours, depending on usage...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-11 11:27 AM
    wow how do u guys have ur torch last so long... well i am a heavy user and my torch last only up to 10 hours or longer if i dont use it that much but 36 hours and 56 hours? how is that possible?
    05-22-11 11:59 AM
    wow how do u guys have ur torch last so long... well i am a heavy user and my torch last only up to 10 hours or longer if i dont use it that much but 36 hours and 56 hours? how is that possible?
    Make sure you are closing apps properly, and not just minimizing them (red end key = bad news for battery) also, make sure your apps that update fewquently (facebook, twitter, etc) are set to manual update. Facebook, for example, is useless to have update at any interval, because when you open the app it will update anyways.

Live profile and the blackberry social feeds app are mega battery hogs... The two combined were draining about 2-3% more per hour, so I uninstalled them both, and by battery life almost doubled!

IAmSixNine likes this.
    05-22-11 12:11 PM
    Make sure you are closing apps properly, and not just minimizing them (red end key = bad news for battery) also, make sure your apps that update fewquently (facebook, twitter, etc) are set to manual update. Facebook, for example, is useless to have update at any interval, because when you open the app it will update anyways.

Live profile and the blackberry social feeds app are mega battery hogs... The two combined were draining about 2-3% more per hour, so I uninstalled them both, and by battery life almost doubled!

REALLY? Gosh, i'll uninstall it right now, i got whatsapp not live profile what about whatsapp?
    05-22-11 12:42 PM
    I've had mine go over 36 hours without a charge. Was a weekend where I unexpectedly couldn't charge one night. During that time, I had few phone calls and light usage (emails, light browsing).
    05-22-11 12:46 PM
    REALLY? Gosh, i'll uninstall it right now, i got whatsapp not live profile what about whatsapp?
    I got rid of that one as well. For instant messaging I use bbm, msn, sms, and facebook chat (beta version). There is nothing life profile and whatsapp can do that any combination of those apps can't, and I save my batt...

05-22-11 12:51 PM
    is there a way to tell if ur apps are closed or not... and thanks imma try that but then i use both feeds app on blackberry but gonna try setting to manual update and see if it works... thanks
    05-22-11 01:06 PM
    before the playbook, i charge every other night.
    but now with the Bridge, which tends to save lot of battery life..
    the only time i open my Torch is to do calls.. the rest is done with the Playbook..
    so i think i'm getting 20-30% more out of my battery
    05-22-11 01:16 PM
    is there a way to tell if ur apps are closed or not... and thanks imma try that but then i use both feeds app on blackberry but gonna try setting to manual update and see if it works... thanks
    Press and hold the bb button (menu button) to open the app switcher to see what is running... There are 5 core bb apps that will always run... Any other apps running should be closed by opening the app and using the back button, or menu+close to exit the app, and shut it down properly instead of minimizing it ...

05-22-11 01:23 PM
    Press and hold the bb button (menu button) to open the app switcher to see what is running... There are 5 core bb apps that will always run... Any other apps running should be closed by opening the app and using the back button, or menu+close to exit the app, and shut it down properly instead of minimizing it ...

Thanks a lot that helps gonna try and see if my battery is different

05-22-11 01:54 PM
    I charge mine every night, but I rarely go under 50%, mostly 60-65 when I turn the phone off an night (turn on @ 8:00 am, turn off @ 1:30 - 2:00 am). I have Trillian, Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter and Scoremobile running 24-7. Heavy BBM user, normal browsing, a little music, email 3 accounts and some phone.

This is my first BB, and I have to say that the thing that makes me more happy is the battery.
    05-22-11 05:23 PM
    When I said 56 hours, I am not just leaving my phone sitting. I use it all the time. I do not have a land line so that is what my blackberry is. As well as a place for me to read the news especially when I'm at work. BBM is an addiction, I use it as an alarm clock, texting, I read TFLN & Perez Hilton among other things.

I must say I'm surprised by the battery life of this phone, my pearl and curve only ever went 36 hours.
    05-23-11 05:58 AM
    I was well impressed with my battery life, however due to me coming from the iPhone as well as HTC desire Z, I am in the habit of charging mine every night. I usually get about 30 hrs without charging mine though. This is with facebook, twitter, GMAIL all checking at regular intervals. Overall I think the battery on my torch is better than any other phone I have had.
    05-23-11 06:15 AM
    On average I get 2 days of I guess "normal" usage out of my phone. Some web browsing, BBM, SMS, I do take a lot of pictures, music sometimes, and of course phone calls. I am not a heavy user by any means and I have seen a decline in battery life since I purchased my phone last November but this is expected over time. Out of the box I could get 3 days, but different OS updates and more and more apps running and the slowly degrading battery I am sure takes care of all of that for me.

For those who do charge their phone every day keep in the back of your mind that all Lithium Ion batteries are rated at about 1000 charges before they need to be replaced. No it does not hurt the battery to charge it without it being dead as batteries from the past, but the number of charges adds up. Then again who really keeps their phone longer than 2 years before upgrading, and if you do charge it every day you should be good for about 2 and a half years...so maybe it is a moot point.
    05-23-11 07:40 AM
    i dont know how everyone get their battery life that long i am kinda of a heavy use i use alot of bbm n txting and some calling and go on facebook and web browsing sometimes and check the news and weather and all that but i usually have about a whole days of use and i usually have to charge it by the end of the night
    05-23-11 07:54 AM
    I am a heavier used too, but I have my phone now to shut up automatically at night and turn on again in the morning, make sure you close your apps when you are done with them that can kill a lot of battery.
    05-24-11 04:28 AM
    i dont know how everyone get their battery life that long i am kinda of a heavy use i use alot of bbm n txting and some calling and go on facebook and web browsing sometimes and check the news and weather and all that but i usually have about a whole days of use and i usually have to charge it by the end of the night
    I think that's fine too to be honest.
    Cos I read somewhere that its good to keep your battery well and charged at the start of everyday, so I guess being able to last one whole day with heavy usage is pretty good in my opinion
    05-24-11 06:23 AM
    I think that's fine too to be honest.
    Cos I read somewhere that its good to keep your battery well and charged at the start of everyday, so I guess being able to last one whole day with heavy usage is pretty good in my opinion
    Yes it is but I also tried setting my facebook and stuff to manual update and I make sure my apps are now all closed properly when not using them and now I am getting up to 24 hours of battery life which is good thanks for the tip

05-24-11 07:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD