I woke up at 6;45, went in the shower, turned off mobile nertwork and turned on wifi and listened to slacker radio for 10 mins in shower. I did some messaging with bbm and looked at account balance and now my battery is at 90%. I was in school for 7 hours and never touched it and wifi is off. After school I look at my battery and its 50% its now 3:00. That is not right. And I didn't have any apps open either. Is this defectiver or does it take a while to get the battery used to my usage? Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-10 06:50 AM
    Did you have service while in school? If not, your BB was looking for service and this drains the battery. I came from a Bold 9000 (which would last a full day) and my Torch battery is doing awesome in comparison. I finally charged it last night after 2 days of moderate use (heavy emailing), and it was still @ 30% charge.
    10-07-10 06:55 AM
    I am having the same issue with my Curve 8530. The dealer replaced my battery and I did all the updates. My old Curve 8330 was away better on battery use. I got two days out of it, with my 8530, one day is the max. Does anyone have any ideas?

No, my wifi and bluetooth are off all day.

Thanks
    10-07-10 07:25 AM
    I woke up at 6;45, went in the shower, turned off mobile nertwork and turned on wifi and listened to slacker radio for 10 mins in shower. I did some messaging with bbm and looked at account balance and now my battery is at 90%. I was in school for 7 hours and never touched it and wifi is off. After school I look at my battery and its 50% its now 3:00. That is not right. And I didn't have any apps open either. Is this defectiver or does it take a while to get the battery used to my usage? Thanks.

I agree with the other poster - check if you have signal at school - i remember at seneca college some areas i had no coverage - my pearl would die half way thru the day unless i turned off the radio.

Wifi does drain a lot of battery - and while playing music via slacker - i could see your battery dropping quick. I don't have any complaints with my battery - i make it a full day on heavy usage.
    10-07-10 07:32 AM
    I get reception prbably 95% of the time ill tru turning off my network

10-07-10 10:30 AM
    Also make sure programs that may try to use the GPS are off. My BlueTooth and WiFi are always on.

I was using the Google Latitude and that was nothing but horrorshow on the battery.

I was also experiencing poor battery due to downloading podcasts and having all the social and RSS feeds updating every 5 minutes (or their minimum) and retrieving the maximum number of items (30-100, depending on FB, Twitter, RSS, etc).

With Meterberry installed I see that my battery is draining around 1% per hour if idle. 3-6% if listening to stored music. 10%+ if using something streaming like a radio station on AirKast or Slacker.
    10-07-10 10:45 AM
    Battery life is not as great as the 9700. The things I did are to make sure I close all apps and not simply back out of them, reduce the frequency of feed updates, and started using my 9700 case. Believe it or not, just using the case made a difference because the device goes to sleep.
    10-07-10 11:43 AM
    I'm think having battery issues too... Everyone says their torch lasts 2 days but mine just barely makes it until the first night. Example: I take it off the charger at 8:30. I close everything after I open it so that nothing is draining battery in the background. I never have bluetooth on. I very very rarely use wifi. I spend approx 45 minutes on the phone, about 20 txts, and between 70 and 100 bbm messages a day. Less than 10 emails a day. I use the browser for average of 1 hour a day. And as far as service goes, I've only noticed one occasion where it was searching for service and that was in an underground parking lot. The battery is at 15% by 11pm. Is this normal?

10-07-10 11:47 AM
    I'm think having battery issues too... Everyone says their torch lasts 2 days but mine just barely makes it until the first night. Example: I take it off the charger at 8:30. I close everything after I open it so that nothing is draining battery in the background. I never have bluetooth on. I very very rarely use wifi. I spend approx 45 minutes on the phone, about 20 txts, and between 70 and 100 bbm messages a day. Less than 10 emails a day. I use the browser for average of 1 hour a day. And as far as service goes, I've only noticed one occasion where it was searching for service and that was in an underground parking lot. The battery is at 15% by 11pm. Is this normal?

You might want to check your display settings too... backlight brightness, backlight timeout, auto dim etc. Vibrate is a huge battery waster. Also check that you have the LED for coverage turned off.

I'm getting 2 days out of my battery... I have my screen brightness set at 10; backlight timeout set at 10 sec; Auto Dim backlight checked; LED coverage indicator unchecked; WiFi on all the time (usually I forget to turn it off when I leave the house); BT off all the time; a fair bit of web browsing; not much phone call usage--maybe 10 mins; send/receive 100-200 emails a day; a few text mssgs/bbm.

Check all your settings. You might want to invest in MeterBerry. As one of the previous posters mentioned, you can monitor your battery usage/drainage as well as a slew of other things.
    Last edited by cestlavie77; 10-07-10 at 12:11 PM.
    10-07-10 12:08 PM
    Check all your settings. You might want to invest in MeterBerry. As one of the previous posters mentioned, you can monitor your battery usage/drainage as well as a slew of other things.
    I was going to check out MeterBerry. Then I read some reviews that said it drained the battery. Sounds like a joke, but it turned me off.
    10-07-10 12:14 PM
    Ok so my screen was on 100 so I put it on 50, hopefully it works.

10-07-10 12:29 PM
    Update: 2:35 and my battery is at 50% ok this is very displeasing. Did I have to let the battery die when I first had it and then charge it?

Last edited by BlakBairy; 10-07-10 at 01:40 PM.
    10-07-10 01:36 PM
    Update: 2:35 and my battery is at 50% ok this is very displeasing. Did I have to let the battery die when I first had it and then charge it?

generally, its good to let the battery drain, then charge to 100% then let it die again

im pretty paranoid with new devices, and i'll do that fully discharge/charge cycle 2-3 times
    10-07-10 01:43 PM
    You might want to check your display settings too... backlight brightness, backlight timeout, auto dim etc. Vibrate is a huge battery waster. Also check that you have the LED for coverage turned off.

I'm getting 2 days out of my battery... I have my screen brightness set at 10; backlight timeout set at 10 sec; Auto Dim backlight checked; LED coverage indicator unchecked; WiFi on all the time (usually I forget to turn it off when I leave the house); BT off all the time; a fair bit of web browsing; not much phone call usage--maybe 10 mins; send/receive 100-200 emails a day; a few text mssgs/bbm.

Thanks for the reply. My brightness is at 10, autodim is checked, and backlight timeout is 30 seconds ( but if I'm not using the phone its locked and the screen is off)

I'm gonna check out meterberry and see if there's anything in there that can help. Thanks for that tip.

10-07-10 01:44 PM
    Im currently experiencing the same issue with my Torch. I love the phone but I cant go through half the day and have my battery die out on me. I fully charged it all night, unplugged at 9am. it is now close to 6pm and Im already down to 25%, bleh!
    10-07-10 04:57 PM
    Light user here with my 9800 and I go three days before having to give it a good charge.
    10-07-10 05:29 PM
    Light user here with my 9800 and I go three days before having to give it a good charge.
    explain ''light" user...
    10-07-10 05:57 PM
    I've been using my Torch pretty heavily for the past week (browsing, multiple lengthy calls per day, lots of messaging, some picture taking) and it is usually around 30-40% after about 16 hours. Not impressive, but it's no big deal at all if I need to plug it in every night. My experience with the Torch was that with use my battery life actually improved...
    10-07-10 06:06 PM
    Battery life is so subjective. All I can say is that it's better than my Storm 1, and that makes me happy. At the end of the day, my 9800 get's me through the entire day with plenty of battery to spare. I would say I'm a moderate user - 20 - 30 emails a day, texting the gf, BBM with friends and I've got my work desk phone forwarded to my cell. If you're running out of battery with this device you've got a defective one or you're on it all day. If you're on it all day, then I invite you to try and find another device that lasts longer.

EDIT - To add to my usage, my Wifi and Bluetooth are always on. I'm connected to Wifi at work for 8 hours a day.
    Last edited by Mikey52; 10-07-10 at 06:16 PM.
    10-07-10 06:14 PM
    explain ''light" user...
    4-20 texts a day, roughly the same for bbm. Maybe 1-2 videos on youtube lasting about 3-4 minutes each and maybe 1 phonecall lasting just a few minutes. Oh and an alarm to wake me each morning and a couple alerts on my calendar. 10 emails a day.

I work 14hrs a day and my friends/family know this so they don't bother me much and my co-workers just come see me.
    10-07-10 06:22 PM
    way better than my 8900. I am a heavy user. I take it off charger at 6 am. Run gym tecnick for workout, 30 mins of phone, wifi and bluetooth (always on) on all day connected at home, office and in car. BBM, 3 3mail account etc. Right now at 730 pm I am at exactly 50%.
    10-07-10 06:29 PM
    i have my brightnesss all the way to the max
    and with the new upgrade i was literally shocked with how long my battery lasts
    i use my phone most of the day and im close to 75% left at the end of the day
    10-07-10 06:32 PM
    I am not getting anything near that. 6 hrs and down to 40%

10-07-10 06:43 PM
    Does anyone suggest an exchange or should I try new alternatives and see what happen?

10-07-10 08:18 PM
    Does anyone suggest an exchange or should I try new alternatives and see what happen?
    what device are you actually referring to?

what os do you have installed on your device?

knowing this might help with suggestions on courses of action.
    10-07-10 08:33 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD