My first couple of days with the Torch has pretty decent battery life. The past 2 days have been horrible. I did add a couple of apps (Google Maps and Fandango), and battery life tanked. I just rebooted (Battery Pull), and things look to be improving.

Does anyone have an idea of what the drain on the battery is for GPS aware applications? I will try to uninstall apps (or reconfigure) in a controlled manner to figure it out but just wondering if anyone else has already figured it out.

Also, what default apps do you usually delete?

so far I think it is a good piece of hardware with a lot of potential, but a few boneheaded decisions such as eliminating "column view" in browser, and the home screen layout make it hard to love. BTW - I upgraded from the Bold 9000 and the 8800 before that, and I can't even remember the model number of the one before that with the scroll wheel on the side.

Hopefully they value feedback from this user community...

Thanks,
    09-13-10 12:57 PM
    FYI - Column view is still there. all you do is tap the screen twice while in the article and it re formats to a column view. Very Cool.

Battery Life is still weak.
    09-13-10 01:06 PM
    Did you make sure you closed the apps in the background and they are really not running anymore?

I have had pretty good battery life with the torch.

I charged my torch last night at about 7pm. Used it a little before going to bed. Didn't charge overnight and have just been streaming slacker radio for the last 4 hrs and I'm at 55 percent battery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-10 01:07 PM
    The column view (double tapping the screen) does not seem to be consistent across all sites. Sometimes it formats to a column and sometimes it just zooms in. I can't quite figure out what is causing it to be different...

Frank
    09-13-10 01:27 PM
    Yea, I haven't had any battery issues. Mine last me 36-48 hours with pretty moderate usage. One weekend I almost didn't touch except for a BBM here or a phone call there, and I got just shy of 4 days out of. Much better than my 9000. You have to have something running in the background that you don't know about.
    09-13-10 02:59 PM
    The battery is not as good as the 9700, that is very true.
    Mine improved through some setting tweaking and believe it or not, the use of the 9700 case. Puts it to sleep. Battery lasts longer now.
    09-13-10 03:08 PM
    Mine improved through some setting tweaking and believe it or not, the use of the 9700 case. Puts it to sleep. Battery lasts longer now.
    Yes the Holster is the way to go. I am actually using an old Curve 83xx case.
    09-13-10 03:11 PM
    Ditto on holster. Def improves battery life

09-13-10 03:24 PM
    Make sure to log out of google maps. I found that to drain battery if it's constantly sharing location and such.

09-14-10 12:39 AM
    why would the holster improve battery?
    09-14-10 01:04 AM
    why would the holster improve battery?
    It puts the phone to 'sleep' to conserve battery power.
    09-14-10 01:11 AM
    My Battery Is so far so good. Its been on for almost 40 hours now...a few calls, internet GPS is on ,as is WiFi ,and its at 45%. Quite pleased.
    09-14-10 05:44 AM
    Yes the Holster is the way to go. I am actually using an old Curve 83xx case.
    The Curve Case doesn't put it to sleep as far as I know.
    09-22-10 11:54 AM
    You using the pocket sleeve (case) or the holster from the 9700?
    09-22-10 11:58 AM
    When I first got it the battery life seemed fine. The last couple of days it has been horrible. I do have a lot of stuff installed but nothing is really running. I have full 3G at work, we have an in-building antenna. Wifi and bluetooth are on as well as they normally are. When I go to the application switch the things that are present are; Home, Browser, Meebo, BBM, phone, messages, and dropbox. Apps I have installed; Trillian, bbweather, facebook, bolt, twitter, slacker, pandora, opera mini, cardstar, google maps, batteryex, flixster, meebo, yahoo messenger, google talk, aol instant messenger. File free is 302616788 bytes. I fully charged my battery last night and took it off the charger at 6:15am. I have been using very little to just check email and social feeds. It is now 10:28am and my battery is down to 65%. Any ideas?
    09-22-10 12:28 PM
    When I first got it the battery life seemed fine. The last couple of days it has been horrible. I do have a lot of stuff installed but nothing is really running. I have full 3G at work, we have an in-building antenna. Wifi and bluetooth are on as well as they normally are. When I go to the application switch the things that are present are; Home, Browser, Meebo, BBM, phone, messages, and dropbox. Apps I have installed; Trillian, bbweather, facebook, bolt, twitter, slacker, pandora, opera mini, cardstar, google maps, batteryex, flixster, meebo, yahoo messenger, google talk, aol instant messenger. File free is 302616788 bytes. I fully charged my battery last night and took it off the charger at 6:15am. I have been using very little to just check email and social feeds. It is now 10:28am and my battery is down to 65%. Any ideas?
    Just because an app doesn't show in the app switcher doesn't mean it's not running in the background. Facebook for example, if you just close it out and don't actually log out it's still running and constantly updating. Basically anything in social feeds is running, using battery and data.
    I uninstalled social feeds altogether, only have Facebook installed and log in and out when I do use it. No other IM apps other than BBM, no GPS aware apps, basically the only thing I have running constantly other than the core apps is BerryWeather. Oh, and 6 e-mail accounts. I took mine off the charger around the same time you did, quite a few BBM messages and emails later now at 2:10 pm my battery is at 92%. I also have it set to 2G only, which can also make a BIG difference as far as battery life is concerned.
    09-22-10 01:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD