I've read various posts from earlier in the week and don't see a solution so thought I would start a new thread to inquire......

I've had the Torch for a week. My battery life is terrible. Wonder if it is something I am doing wrong or if it is a defective unit?

For instance today, I fully charged overnight, talked on phone for no longer than 30 mins, did email for about 30 mins, checked Yahoo for 15 mins and did a Blackberry IM chat for 20 mins. Within 14 hours of waking up to a full charge, my battery was dead.

I don't have any active social feeds. I do have active enterprise email feeds but always put the phone in locked password position when not using since I keep in pocket and don't want to make calls in error. Screen is off when it is in locked position.

Am I doing anyting wrong to cause such a short battery life or does it seem to be the phone? Very confused.......

Thank you!
    08-25-10 11:20 PM
    i think you have a problem with the battery..
    i do more than what you posted and the longest i got for the torch was 58 hours ( 100% - 5%)
    on a really heavy use day.. i still have 40% at 11PM.
    08-25-10 11:27 PM
    Nope. I was on my phone for 1.5 hours in one shot and my battery was at 75% when the conf call ended however I am on the leaked OS. This was in addition to some emails, FB, Tweets and BBMs. Battery life from the 1 day I was on the original OS was low. With all the device resets and battery pulls to get everything up and running I am sure those activities were helping drain the battery plus it is a new battery. It is too early to tell but so far battery life seems better on 161 vs 141. What OS are you running?

The one thing for sure that will help is turning the screen intensity down to like 20% from the default of 100%.
    08-25-10 11:27 PM
    The torch does have a shorter battery as compared to other blackberries. An new OS leak could help us with the battery life, but until that happens there is a few thiings you can do to help out to scrape a few more hours out before a drain. First, have the screen dim after like 30 seconds or less, I think 30 seconds is the default. Second, turn down the screen brightness, I have set mine to 30, you will get used to it and eventually will think going back to 70-80 looks to bright, haha. Lastly, turn off your GPS and location aiding off. You can manually turn them on if you want to navi anywhere. These things along with completly closing apps I'm done using have helped significantly in the past. Really until we get an OS upgrade that is about as much as we can do for now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-10 11:29 PM
    Do you keep all your radios on? Like bluetooth, Wifi, GPS. Turning them off will save a lot of juice.
    08-25-10 11:39 PM
    I have my screen set to 70% and auto dim set at 1 min. There are very few apps running in the background. After 10+ hours of some web browsing, checking email, and making calls, I usually have 75-80% battery. It doesn't seem to last as long as my old curve, but I'm using the torch more also. Running the OS it came with.
    08-25-10 11:44 PM
    i think you have a problem with the battery..
    i do more than what you posted and the longest i got for the torch was 58 hours ( 100% - 5%)
    on a really heavy use day.. i still have 40% at 11PM.
    I can't make it 58hrs with my 9700!!!
    08-25-10 11:50 PM
    I can't make it 58hrs with my 9700!!!
    i have the brightness set to 30%
    wi FI is off
    Bluetooth turns on only when i'm in the car.. to sync with my Pioneer Navigation/CD/MP3 player
    i don't listen to music
    i don't watch any video
    i don't use youtube

i do browse the web from time to time
    i do 60-100 emails
    i answer about 30 emails with 2-3 paragraphs length
    i do 10-15 SMS/day
    i do 3-15 calls/day with 2-3 minutes/call

and i still have the original version of the OS 6
    08-26-10 12:00 AM
    I know deleting Yahoo IM and MSN IM helped my battery life A LOT. Hold down your BB button to see what apps are running. If there are apps listed there you aren't using, be sure to click on them and shut them down. For me, MSN and Yahoo wouldn't fully close and I don't use them, so I deleted them. I'm getting MUCH better life now.
    08-26-10 12:06 AM
    I've read various posts from earlier in the week and don't see a solution so thought I would start a new thread to inquire......

I've had the Torch for a week. My battery life is terrible. Wonder if it is something I am doing wrong or if it is a defective unit?

For instance today, I fully charged overnight, talked on phone for no longer than 30 mins, did email for about 30 mins, checked Yahoo for 15 mins and did a Blackberry IM chat for 20 mins. Within 14 hours of waking up to a full charge, my battery was dead.

I don't have any active social feeds. I do have active enterprise email feeds but always put the phone in locked password position when not using since I keep in pocket and don't want to make calls in error. Screen is off when it is in locked position.

Am I doing anyting wrong to cause such a short battery life or does it seem to be the phone? Very confused.......

Thank you!
    If it makes you feel any better, during the first six months with my Bold 9000 I *could* burn through one 1550mAh battery every 6-8hrs Later OS builds improved this greatly so it *should* get better with the 9800 as time rolls on.
    08-26-10 12:07 AM
    i too came from a Bold 9000..
    the difference with battery life from the 4.6 to the 5.0628 OS was night and day..
    my only complaint was the memory leak...
    after reboot.. my app memory is around 32MB.. then slowly leaking
    08-26-10 12:11 AM
    Hi,

If your battery drains out very quickly you can check the following as well :
    1) Bluetooth (Chk if it is turned off)
    2) Low signal strength ( If the signal strength is low the device will consume alot of battery in order maintain the signal strength)
    3) Unwanted applications running in background (Hunt for such applications and close them as they would sucking the battery life.
    4) Optimize your screen brightness to increase battery life.
    5) Follow a regular charge and discharge cycle of the battery.
    08-26-10 01:04 AM
    I know deleting Yahoo IM and MSN IM helped my battery life A LOT. Hold down your BB button to see what apps are running. If there are apps listed there you aren't using, be sure to click on them and shut them down. For me, MSN and Yahoo wouldn't fully close and I don't use them, so I deleted them. I'm getting MUCH better life now.
    Thanks for the reminder RE: the BB button. Forgot about that shortcut!
    08-26-10 10:28 AM
    The torch does have a shorter battery as compared to other blackberries.
    I wouldn't say that at all. MY Torch lasts MUCH longer than my 9000 did with basically the same settings, apps and usage. Actually the usage is even more on the Torch right now since it's a new device I'm playing with it more often. Yesterday it came off the charger around 6 AM, had a couple phone calls, some emails, BBMs, web surfing (with WiFi on), installing apps and a few battery pulls and by 11PM I was at 62%. This is the first smartphone I've had that even comes close to the battery life of my old dumb phones.
    08-26-10 11:35 AM
    I can drain my Torch battery in 6hrs of constant web surfing and downloading. My 9700 would last 16hrs of constant use like that. I can't make it through the day on the Torch battery. I have everything off, no apps running, strong 3G signal, etc etc. The Torch only has a 1270mAh batt, that's small for a large touch screen phone. Even the Storm has a bigger battery.

08-26-10 12:03 PM
    I agree that i could go all day long with my 9700, but can only get 7- 8 good hours out of the Torch.
    08-26-10 12:10 PM
    I take my phone off the charger at around 6:30 every morning, by 2 PM, I'm down in the 30% range, although I agree with a previous post that Yahoo is partially responsible for this. I can't wait for Seidio to make a better battery for it...
    08-26-10 12:22 PM
    Mine seems to fly right through the 90 and 80% ranges like there is no tomorrow. After I get to about 75% it seems to slow down on the drain. Weird.
    08-26-10 12:24 PM
    I'm averaging about 20+ hours on my Torch. And that's with heavy usage (100+ texts, surfing the web, IM, phone calls)
    08-26-10 12:42 PM
    Is there not yet a heavy duty battery

08-26-10 03:17 PM
    Mine seems to fly right through the 90 and 80% ranges like there is no tomorrow. After I get to about 75% it seems to slow down on the drain. Weird.
    My second Torch seems to be doing the same and it gets 'warmer' on the lower half of the phone behind the keyboard (even through the otterbox) - my first Torch didn't do either...

08-26-10 05:17 PM
    I'm averaging about 20+ hours on my Torch. And that's with heavy usage (100+ texts, surfing the web, IM, phone calls)
    Hard time believing this...but if its true you got really lucky.

08-26-10 05:20 PM
    First Torch I had was going all day... but it was DOA for data on 3G. Took it back and got a new one... as much as I use mine... down to 25% around the 7th hour of the day... my Bold could last till 12pm at night.

I have 5 email addresses on the phone and use it for work, plus FB, Twitter, and occasional gaming. So I put it through the ringer.
    08-26-10 05:34 PM
    Seidio might be coming out with an extended battery.

I keep mine on the charger at the office, in the car, and home. I am seldom far from a charging source.
    08-26-10 06:38 PM
    mine seems to fly right through the 90 and 80% ranges like there is no tomorrow. After i get to about 75% it seems to slow down on the drain. Weird.
    i have this exact same problem
    08-26-10 06:43 PM
133 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD