Hi there,

I just picked up a new blackberry Torch over the week-end, and I am finding that I have to charge the battery 3-4 times a day. My torch has the same usage as the Blackberry Bold.

Is there something I can do like change a setting or is there a longer lasting battery out there.

My last blackberry was the Bold and I loved it, a single battery charge would last a good 15 hours with the same amount of usage...

Please feel free to reply soon.

Thanks
    02-23-11 02:22 PM
    Recommedations:
    - Turn down screen brightness
    - Turn off wifi and bluetooth when not in use
    - Turn off location settings if you are not using GPS

Also I would recommend updating your OS to .448 as it improves the battery life quite a bit vs the stock OS it comes with .246 if I'm not mistaken
    02-23-11 02:24 PM
    Also check to make sure you properly exited out of an app when done. Sometimes the apps keep going even when you think you have logged out.

You can check under device management to see what's running.

Because of the screen size, the battery will drain faster.
    02-23-11 02:28 PM
    Hi there,

I just picked up a new blackberry Torch over the week-end, and I am finding that I have to charge the battery 3-4 times a day. My torch has the same usage as the Blackberry Bold.

Is there something I can do like change a setting or is there a longer lasting battery out there.

My last blackberry was the Bold and I loved it, a single battery charge would last a good 15 hours with the same amount of usage...

Thanks
    You likely are familiar with BB and closing apps when not in use.
    This type of battery drain is NOT normal and you should not be required to disable things to get a day of battery life.
    I have had 4 versions of the OS on mine so far and none of them required charging the phone between 7am to 9pm. I never turn of location services, wifi or BT. My screen brightness is at 30 and dims at 45 seconds.
    Take it back where you bought it (if you can) and have it checked or ask for a new one.
    Something is wrong. Possibly roaming/searching between 2g/3g.
    Last edited by pmccartney; 02-23-11 at 02:34 PM.
    02-23-11 02:31 PM
    all of the above and i also switched to 2g and now have
    a brill battery and performance wise i find no difference its braw
    its worth a try i was tearing my hair out that i had to keep charging
    on this the latest model and 6.0
    02-23-11 02:35 PM
    I only turn down the screen brightness to 10% and keep all setting on like 3G, wifi, location. Battery is stand for two days with avarage use, OS .448.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-11 03:05 PM
    all of the above and i also switched to 2g and now have
    a brill battery and performance wise i find no difference
    its braw
    its worth a try i was tearing my hair out that i had to keep charging
    on this the latest model and 6.0
    you just can't talk and surf at the same time....how rude is it to do that anyway?
    02-23-11 03:11 PM
    I only turn down the screen brightness to 10% and keep all setting on like 3G, wifi, location. Battery is stand for two days with avarage use, OS .448.

+1, cept I'm on .450 and easily go a whole day, sometimes two. Best thing to do is be sure you're actually closing out of open apps. The red End Call key does not close them, it just brings you back to ther Home screen. The Back key usually closes/ends apps, but the best way is to go into the menu (BB key) and select Close or Exit.

To see if you have any apps running, hold down the BB key. You should only see Browser, Home, BBM, Phone and Messages running. Anything else showing up there that you didn't intend to have running is just draining your juice unnecessarily.

Good luck.

02-23-11 03:16 PM
    When I first got the 9800 the first few days it had bad battery life and would need to recharge it mid day...however after a week the battery life got way better and I can last a day no problem even under heavy usage with aim and other apps runninging in the background.

02-23-11 03:20 PM
    I agree, I felt that my battery life at first was bad, but after a week like Shadow_S2K said, it got better. Update to one of the newer OS's too. That should help a lot. If I'm not surfing the net or downloading something, I keep the phone on 2G which greatly helps battery life.
    02-23-11 07:42 PM
    All of the above nothwithstanding, the truth of the matter is that the battery life of the 9800 just plain sucks. If I did not have a spare battery and a pod that can charge the phone and extra battery concomintantly I would not own this phone

02-23-11 08:07 PM
    Yeah I've got to invest in a spare battery I think :/
    02-23-11 08:22 PM
    Hopefully they make extra capacity batteries for it soon.

02-23-11 08:50 PM
    I would enjoy my Torch so much more if the battery life was better
    02-23-11 10:51 PM
    I have to say my Torch on .246 on Vodafone in the Uk has from last week when it arrived at great Battery life with fairly heavy use.

I have the blacklight turned to 10 and now 0 (prefer a darker screen) I have twitter and FB running and use msn and YM uber social and other apps regularly.
    I also have to mailboxes recieving a couple of hundred emails sometimes a day!

Yet my battery is lasting the best part of two days, which compared to my old phone which barely lasted part of the working day its truly amazing!

Have you checked when selecting switch application what other apps you have running? Are you asking your phone to shut down at night and wake up when you wakeup (That is if you dont need to recieve calls at night of course)

Are you jumping from 3G to 2G or no signal etc a lot? That or travelling a lot so the phone keeps having to switch cell? I have to say I have mine on 3G where its holding a signal really well very impressed.

I have also noticed how when installing Apps how many apps will "check in" on boot up etc so do make sure you delete apps if your not needing and its likely they may update themsleves or not shut down if opened by accident etc.

The reason I ask is why of my main reasons for getting a BB was after seeing my Wifes 9700 and seeing the how good the battery life is. I have to say my Torch is not doing to badly at all!

Without doing much to conserve power I seem to be getting truely remarkable battery life for a morden day smartphone so wanna keep it that so wanna compare what im doing with others.
    Last edited by andgee; 02-24-11 at 03:03 AM.
    02-24-11 03:00 AM
    448 makes a drastic difference. I was shocked. Try it

02-24-11 05:41 AM
    I recently uninstalled the native twitter app from my Torch and use SocialScope instead. My battery life has greatly improved. I`m currently sitting at 87% as of right now. When twitter was installed I`d be at low 70`s to high 60`s by this point of the day. I tried changing the refresh rate on twitter to once an hour and it made a little difference. I`m strictly on 3G all day. Thats my 2 cents anyways.
    02-24-11 12:25 PM
    I'm on my 2nd torch (dropped and broke the first one) and I have had exceptional battery life. Example: charged over night and disconnected this morning at 7am. It's 5:47pm now and my battery meter shows it still has 81% left (bought app called battery icon-great app that sits on top of tray). I use my BB all day for business as well as FB/Web/News, etc. Never had a problem with battery life with either phone--nor has my wife who also has a Torch. I'm running 6.0.695. Much better than Samsung or Treo smartphone battery life. I agree--take it back--also check to see if the battery is "hot" warmer than it should be--heard this has happened on a few phones and it caused battery life to die. Good Luck!
    02-24-11 07:54 PM
    Hi there,

Thanks
    something's wrong with your battery..
    here's a chart that compare battery life for the Torch compared to the other smartphones
    02-24-11 09:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD