Sorry to say that not only is this information incorrect, but following it is the worst thing you can do to a lithium battery.

Lithium batteries do not have memory like that old Ni-MH ones did that required full discharges... It's been said many times around here that one should never let the battery discharge fully, as that puts unnecessary strain on it.

Best course of action would be to constantly top-up or charge every night (the phone will automatically stop the charging process once it reaches 100%).

Someone here (don't remember who) once posted this article which is a good source for additional info:
    How to prolong lithium-based batteries

You can also take a look at these threads:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/do...period-544837/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/ho...-torch-533108/
    The first article suggests a full dischargee every 30 charges, which could be once a month for some, or once a week if you're charging your batt 4 times a day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-10 05:55 AM
    I have to say, I've never understood what the big deal is about getting "more than a day" out of a charge. Are you sleeping on the streets? Are you homeless? I could see if you were working on assignement like all the people on craigslist that want me to ship the BB I had for sale. But in all seriousness, do you not have a charger next to your bed or somewhere in your house/apartment/cardboard box?
    Like a couple of others have mentioned, I also have wifi and BT on all day, have the screen set to 80% brightness, am a heavy duty power user, and by the end of the day am usually around 30-40%. Without charging at work. I use SmartWifi, and that really seems to have helped. For those trying to campare Torch battery life to a 9700/whatever, may I point out the 9xxx didn't have a touch screen; its going to eat more battery. Plug it in and charge it overnight; really, its good for it. The Torch will like it; trust me on this.
    I'd like to point out a couple points made above me that I liked:
    1)I got this device to work it to death. If I can't use how I want because I'm obsessed about getting multiple days out of the battery, then what's the point?
    2)Its an electronic device; it will need plugging in. Why not do it while you're sleeping?
    3)Iphone and droid users have to charge their phones also. :-)

homer1475 and Sainthak like this.
    11-30-10 07:27 AM
    Using BB meter I average about 4.5%/hour. If I avoid using battery draining apps like BBM and ATT Navigator, I can usually get two full days of use (shutting the phone off from midnight to 5 a.m.).
    11-30-10 07:35 AM
    I have to say, I've never understood what the big deal is about getting "more than a day" out of a charge. Are you sleeping on the streets? Are you homeless? I could see if you were working on assignement like all the people on craigslist that want me to ship the BB I had for sale. But in all seriousness, do you not have a charger next to your bed or somewhere in your house/apartment/cardboard box?
    Like a couple of others have mentioned, I also have wifi and BT on all day, have the screen set to 80% brightness, am a heavy duty power user, and by the end of the day am usually around 30-40%. Without charging at work. I use SmartWifi, and that really seems to have helped. For those trying to campare Torch battery life to a 9700/whatever, may I point out the 9xxx didn't have a touch screen; its going to eat more battery. Plug it in and charge it overnight; really, its good for it. The Torch will like it; trust me on this.
    1)I got this device to work it to death. If I can't use how I want because I'm obsessed about getting multiple days out of the battery, then what's the point?
    2)Its an electronic device; it will need plugging in. Why not do it while you're sleeping?

Right on man. Couldn't have said this any better and its exactly my thinking on the whole battery issue too.

What is so hard about charging a phone? H*ll my old star tac wouldn't last 6 hours on a charge, guess what? I carried a charger. Batteries aren't supposed to last forever. If it lasts through your day, charge it while your sleeping. simple as that.

Everyone comparing the 9700 battery to the 9800 battery, keep in mind the size of the screen and the fact its touch. There's no way it will last as long just with those 2 factors.

Lets put the 9700 battery in the 9800 and see how long it lasts. My guess, probably about the same.

I was the one that posted the lithium battery thread, because as i stated in that thread I use lithium batteries all the time and everyone saying its best to fully discharge then recharge are wrong. Lithium type batteries don't retain a memory(for those of you that have no clue what that means, I'm not going into depth on that subject. Google is your best friend). Therefore "bump" or "spot"charging(the process of plugging it in when you feel you will need more power for going out or whatnot, not just when its dead) does in no way hurt the battery.
    john_v, Sainthak and akown10t like this.
    11-30-10 08:19 AM
    Umm. What can the 9800 do that the 9700 can't? I got tired of getting the same device time after time. That's why I changed. The 9800 could have been a better device. My iPhone 4 now can outlast the 9800. Which is sad. I'm sorry. Rim was known for excellent battery life and that's no longer the case. Rim, I miss you. But come on.

Umm..How about pinch to zoom..full screen browsing..auto rotate to name a few. And it's not "sad" that the i4 can outlast the Torch (which is debatable anyways) because the i4 is running 45Nm technology with it's CPU whereas the Torch is still on the older 65Nm tech specs. Given the specs of the Torch..the software engineers have done a good job in making the Torch a step up towards the competition..but until they run better hardware..they won't be able to compete against the heavyweights in the spec war.

My point was that people are sitting here comparing their 3.2" touchscreen display device with older models with ****tier displays and specs and expecting the Torch to last a full 3 days just because their Curve could. Some people don't want to give up 3 days of battery life, but also want the latest and greatest in technology. Until battery technology improves..this isnt gonna happen.
    homer1475 likes this.
    11-30-10 10:53 AM
    The first article suggests a full dischargee every 30 charges, which could be once a month for some, or once a week if you're charging your batt 4 times a day.
    The article notes that this is to correct the calibration with the discharge display on your phone, draining it will not have an effect on battery life or performance.

I would suggest reading through the thread started by Homer (see 2 posts above).
    11-30-10 10:59 AM
    I am wondering, if I purchase an extended battery from this site, will I be able to get to 50% charge at the end of the night (around 11pm) if I start at 7am in the morning with the following settings:

staying on a 3G signal all day or at least trying to find one
    monitoring 3 emails
    read and send 15 emails
    fb updates every 30mins
    10-15 tweets
    3-4 bbm chats
    3-4 30min phone calls
    GPS(bc I just recently discovered the wonders of 'FourSquare' and 'places' for fb lol
    Wi-Fi constantly on
    Mr. Number Professional (caller id app)...constantly running in the background
    Where's My Phone( remote phone app)...constantly running in the background
    Kitco updates every 15mins (stock app)...constantly running in the background

These current settings are totally depleting my phone by 10am. I am running OS .246, so I may try to upgrade to another OS to determine if that would help the battery like out any.
    Last edited by Sainthak; 03-17-11 at 07:55 AM. Reason: I forgot to input the 3G signal
    03-17-11 07:44 AM
    Long story short -

Turn off Bluetooth if you're not using it. Turn off Wifi when you're not using it. Make sure that you are actually closing apps completely / properly when not in use etc...

another trick i like is i have quickPull reboot the phone every day at 4am, this way is is sure to kill any apps / suspendes processes that are hogging battery life.

with about th average usage of other posters, my torch will last me 2.5 - 3 days, but i make a habit of charging it whenever i'm near a charger, to keep it topped off...
    03-17-11 11:32 AM

I think the more than a day requesters are possibly thinking of Fridays. I'd like to be able to take my phone off charge at 7am, work till 5pm, go straight to a bar then a club and walk out blinking into the 7am sunlight the next morning and still have enough power left to call a cab to drag my drunken arse home. My 9000 never managed this, usually dying about 1am but the torch seems better so far in the week I've owned it. I guess the test will be tomorrow!
    03-17-11 01:42 PM
    The 9700 is the best bar phone

03-17-11 02:34 PM
    When I wake up in the morning my battery level is at 100 percent and when I go to bed about 2 or 3 am it's in the 60s....I text alll the time and use wifi when I want to even if I have a laptop. Settings are at 0 percent for the brightness and 30 second backlighting. I play music everyday on my phone and luckily I came upon this External Travel Battery from Target and all you do is charge the battery for 2-3 hours until its charged plug it into your phone and bam you can charge your battery wherever you are without having to buy an extra battery. This helps me when I am waiting for 3-4 hours outside AAC for events and I'm texting every minute all those hours,

03-17-11 05:54 PM
    What's funny is that no matter what Rim does..they can't please everyone. People complain non-stop about the lack of this or the lack of that..complain that Rim is behind the times with all their hardware and software. And yet when they do put something out there in an attempt to compete..now all's people do is compare against their old devices (which couldn't do half as much as the new phone) and complain about it. Oh well..I guess that's what these forums as for..

Here here!

03-18-11 01:25 AM
    Long story short -
    with about th average usage of other posters, my torch will last me 2.5 - 3 days, but i make a habit of charging it whenever i'm near a charger, to keep it topped off...
    I get 3 solid days out of mine. OS is .448.
    03-18-11 01:34 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD