So I seem to be having an issue with my Torch 9800...well, I seem to be having issues with my battery..

For some reason or other, when my phone is at 50%-40% and I try using the video camera for something, the battery INSTANTLY drops to 8%. And, when I reset my phone, the battery level goes back to what it was originally.

For instance, my battery is at 50%. If use the video camera for something, it drops to 8%. I reset my phone and the battery goes back to 50%-45%.

This is seriously annoying and I'm hoping it's not a software issue (I'd rather have it be a problem with the battery itself than a problem with the software). Is there a fix for this?
    vikasmehta27 likes this.
    05-25-12 10:30 AM
    Have you done anything to your phone recently? i.e. installed an updated OS?

I've had this happen in the past, and it generally works itself out over time (I think it has something to do with the SW battery memory). If it persists however, then re-installing the OS will sometimes fix it.

If you can, plug it into a charger when it happens. You'll see it jump right back up to the previous level and keep it charging as long as you can to bring it to 100%. Good luck.
    05-25-12 11:54 AM
    I am currently having the EXACT issue. I couldn't tell if it was a recent app I downloaded or the wear and tear of the battery over the last 1.5 years. I would unplug it from a full 100% charge, run an app or say delete an app, do a standard reboot (initiated by the phone). After the reboot and loading, I would all of a sudden deplete to 5-8% battery. This is literally in a 10 minute time span. I've encountered this issue for the last couple days now. To locate the source I deleted apps and themes downloaded within the last week. So far, no luck. My guess is an OS bug on a battery leak. BTW, I've reinstalled the OS from scratch only a few months ago.

Anyone have an idea what's causing the issue?
    06-01-12 02:56 AM
    I replaced the original battery (which would last 2-3 days) as it was old and I thought losing capacity. New battery has sudden drops from 50% to red. It wont last 24 hours.

This is with very minimal talk time, mostly emails and bb messenger.

Any solution? (apart from going to the old battery)
    06-02-12 07:17 AM
    Possible faulty handset or faulty battery percentage reader
    06-02-12 11:08 AM
    This is a problem commonly faced with all the Torch users. you can search threads and you will come to know. i posted a similar problem with my 9800. unfortunately there has been no confirmed diagnosis of this issue. only speculations. I also over a period of time have come to a conclusion that this problem might have arrised due to some software issue and may be bringing back to the original software bundled when i bought the phone, might solve the problem. but its hit and trial. Might be a manufacturing fault as well. Cant say for now.
    06-04-12 04:31 AM
    Hey peoples,
    just saw this thread and if your still using the great old Torch 9800 might want to try some of these tips that Ive found worked great.
    download this at the following link and check out the OP...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...erally-634161/
    Then drain your battery down to the lowest just before it switches of the radios and then put in onto a full charge overnight. do this again the next night.
    do it again the 3rd night and I have not had this problem since.
    My 9800 rocks a good 14 to 16 hours a day with medium to heavy usage. Really heavy usage is about 30 calls, multiple emails and then a dozen or so word documents, then im down to about 8 hours of use.
    give a go and hope it works for you also like it has with mine.
    Cheers
    06-06-12 09:48 AM
    My Torch in the last couple of weeks has been dying after only 12 hours. This has been a very recent occurrence - it's probably just my stock trading that i have taken up on my phone.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    06-08-12 11:25 PM
    Your battery needs to be replaced with an original one

Jacmel 2013
    06-14-12 12:43 AM
    I am having the EXACT same problem - starting happeing after i loaded new os. have reloaded twice -still a problem
    01-09-13 03:42 PM
    So I seem to be having an issue with my Torch 9800...well, I seem to be having issues with my battery..

For some reason or other, when my phone is at 50%-40% and I try using the video camera for something, the battery INSTANTLY drops to 8%. And, when I reset my phone, the battery level goes back to what it was originally.

For instance, my battery is at 50%. If use the video camera for something, it drops to 8%. I reset my phone and the battery goes back to 50%-45%.

This is seriously annoying and I'm hoping it's not a software issue (I'd rather have it be a problem with the battery itself than a problem with the software). Is there a fix for this?
    That's what mine was doing before I replaced the battery. Now it's good, except for the fact that I've wrecked the slider cable and have to replace that.
    01-09-13 04:12 PM
    I've started having a similar problem this week. I have even swapped out my battery for a second battery that I have - same problem. For instance, today, knowing that I've been having this problem recently, I left my Torch 9800 plugged in all day while I was at my desk. I left the office at 2:00 pm, and unplugged it then. It was at 100% charge. It is now 5:00 pm, and I am down to the red indicator icon and the yellow LED flashing. The only apps open on it are the ones that are always running - BBM, Mail, Home, Phone, Browser and Hookt. I have never had this problem in the previous 3+ years with this phone, including the last 18 months or so that I've had Hookt messenger running. Wireless is turned off, just the Network is on.

Any suggestions? This is super frustrating
    01-11-13 04:15 PM
    Wipe. I had the same problem, tried new battery, uninstalling apps, etc. after a wipe, reinstalling the apps I use one by one, I've been fine. It's a little annoying to have to start over with apps, set-ups, wallpaper, and everything, but a good Wipe usually does the trick. good luck. when in doubt, WIPE!
    01-11-13 05:56 PM
    Unfortunately I've been having the same issue after .747 installation. The problem seemed to be a little better when I installed Battery Booster by YGenLabs. (carefull this is not an advertisement!!!).
    After that I freshly installed .749 (after I wiped the 9800 with BBSAK) and the problem reappeared. I do not think it is a battery issue since another fellow said that he replaced the battery and the problem reappeared, but of course each handheld has its own idiosyncrasy I guess...
    Anyway, I reinstalled Battery Booster: Battery Saver and I have been monitoring since.

Hopefully it will pass.
    Furthermore, I have been waiting for BB10 to solve all my problems.... Or am I just dreaming??
    01-12-13 05:04 AM
    Possible faulty handset or faulty battery percentage reader
    How can somebody know if the problem is with the reader, and if so can it be fixed?
    01-12-13 05:06 AM
    Nope no luck. Now it suddenly fell from 87% to 5%. I did a battery pull and after the reboot it went up again to 60%. Now it's dropping again....

What's wrong with it?
    I think that the OS is bleeding to death, not just leaking...

I will leave the phone uncharged until it completely switches off....
    01-12-13 08:48 AM
    SSDD (Same **** Different Day)...
    I finally bought a brand-new original battery from ebay. I am waiting to get it and try it.
    Until then, my phone is fine up to approx. 60% and then dies instantly..
    01-14-13 01:27 PM
    You can replace the battery with a new one. If it doesn't happen again, it may be the battery issue. Good luck.
    01-15-13 03:25 AM
    SSDD (Same **** Different Day)...
    I finally bought a brand-new original battery from ebay. I am waiting to get it and try it.
    Until then, my phone is fine up to approx. 60% and then dies instantly..
    Mate you should never buy any batteries off ebay, They are usually fakes!
    Just go to battery world or something
    01-15-13 11:37 PM
    I hope you are wrong. The seller is on of the top sellers and has already sold more than 150 pieces of the same battery in the past months.
    Nevertheless, thank you for your concern anyway.
    01-16-13 10:26 AM
    The new Battery arrived and already tested.
    AMAZING!!! the problems are solved.
    I have been draining the torch with 3G all day long and now after 12 hours of placing all my daily regular calls is at 57%.
    And that after the first charge cycle. I believe that it will get better after some more charge cycles....
    01-25-13 09:54 AM
    as an update.....
    the torch now lasts for more than two days with constant use!
    02-09-13 02:33 AM
    as an update.....
    the torch now lasts for more than two days with constant use!
    Any chance of some pics and link to the ebay seller? I might another battery soon....
    Getting this terrible battery flat after 4-5hors usage... Insane batt.
    02-10-13 06:36 AM
    Any chance of some pics and link to the ebay seller? I might another battery soon....
    Getting this terrible battery flat after 4-5hors usage... Insane batt.
    Careful!!! I do not represent the seller and
    I have no affiliation with the him/her!!
    Genuine BlackBerry F-S1 FS1 Battery for BlackBerry Torch 9800 and 9810 | eBay

My battery said Made in Japan, further processed in China.
    Use the link at your own risk.
    Other than that, I am more than happy with what I bought.
    02-10-13 12:58 PM
    Careful!!! I do not represent the seller and
    I have no affiliation with the him/her!!
    Genuine BlackBerry F-S1 FS1 Battery for BlackBerry Torch 9800 and 9810 | eBay

My battery said Made in Japan, further processed in China.
    Use the link at your own risk.
    Other than that, I am more than happy with what I bought.

understood.
    and thanks for the link.

Sent from my unsliding slider BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    akavbb likes this.
    02-10-13 08:03 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD