hi everyone!

so i have a major problem. i live in austria and i ordered a new bb torch through amazon from a seller and i love it besides the fact that i think it has a problem with the battery. i can't imagine that such a thing would be normal for a phone that should be that good.

so the first time it happened was yesterday when i was in the middle of a call and it said battery drained. shutting down handheld now. and that was it. during the day without any warning or something. and don't get me wrong, on the screen it was full as i charged it the day before. now, i charged it yesterday when i got home and now after almost 30h just the same thing happened. but again, on the display it indicated that the battery is still full. and yes i use bbm and i made like maybe 20 calls today but other than that i don't have any apps all the time open, only when i opened the shopping list or updated my calender. so it is nothing too much and i also don't have apps open that i don't need. wifi is also off. i took the battery out right now and put it back in and i could turn it on for like 10 sec and battery was shown as full on the screen!! but then again, it went off without any notice or yellow blinking or something else. there has to be something wrong!

what can i do?! it is really not acceptable to just be ok with this because this would be "normal", i expect way more from this phone. so please, if anyone knows anything, what can i do to fix this??
    i mean, even my old curve had enough battery for almost 2 days with the same usage of the same apps - bbm, a litte calendar and some calls...
    please please help me, i don't know what to do.

i hope you guys know something about that cause i don't know who to ask if you can't help me! ;(

thanks a lot!
    stefi
    03-03-11 04:53 PM
    By chance what OS are you running on the phone? 6.0.0.246?
    I would recommend upgrading to .448 or .450 and seeing if it makes a difference

Also you can't expect the Torch to have a similar battery life than your curve do you? Touch screen devices usually drain battery quite a bit faster.
    03-03-11 05:28 PM
    Maybe the battery is just a dud. It happens, try using a new battery. It could also be a software issue, however that is far less likely. Maybe it wasn't really a "new" Torch at all! Some sellers are scammers. And some brand new batteries just frig up like that. If it IS new, a new battery would be under warranty and could be replaced (call RIM in your country if you do not live near a suitable outlet, they will likely help you here)
    03-03-11 06:00 PM
    why not charge your phone every night? Depending on usage etc...the battery can last from a day to 2 days on 3G. However on Edge it can last 3-4 days.

If I'm reading your post correctly it says your battery lasts 30hrs piror to it shutting down? Sounds about right with all the calls you take a day...for maximum battery life switch it to 2G/ Edge.

Your battery indicator might be faulty but charging it nightly is good assurance

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-11 07:54 PM
    so it says here v6.0.0.246,platform 6.4.0.105. -- i guess that is the OS version? how can i get an upgrade, if you think another one works better..?

don't get me wrong, i don't mind charging every day or night or every second night, what really bothers me is that i don't get any notification nor is the battery bar going back or anything else. but how this happened out of nowhere, in the middle of the day without saying anything or warning me, this bothers me. it was really stupid when i was not at home and had a lot of calls to do and the phone was just off.

i already thought of buying a new battery depending on what you guys would say because that would be the easiest and fastest way to fix it but i still wait and try to observe why and if it happens again. also i downloaded an app yesterday called batterywatch so i can see the the battery % on the home menu. so yesterday it charged full to 99+ % and now it still is at 99+ %. i want to see if it changes or if it is just the same as yesterday where it still says that the battery is full and then out of nowhere it's gone..

so, what do you think? what should i do?? i only want to buy a new battery if it happens again but i still hope that i can fix it somehow different.

thanks again for all your answers!
    stefi
    03-04-11 09:39 AM
    There are directions stickied at the top of this forum for the links to the new OS versions and how to perform the upgrades. I don't know if whatever provider you're on has the Torch running on 3g, or if it's just edge, but if it's 3g, I highly doubt you'd be able to get more than a day out of a charge. I know I couldn't. I don't know why you don't get or don't notice the low-battery notice, but I would agree with the others to upgrade your OS. The version you have has all sorts of problems.
    03-04-11 11:03 AM
    03-04-11 11:21 AM
    ok so i'll just upgrade it now and i'll keep watching what's happening. i also dl this app, i hope it works. it still says on my screen 99+ % battery so we'll see.
    @radi0chik: i don't mind charging every day, i'm just bothered that it turns off like that without any notice.
    thanks for your help!
    03-04-11 01:18 PM
    so i read this here (http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ting-system-os) but i can't seem to find the apploader on my computer. i have no idea how to delete the old os version and to reinstall the new one. i'm sorry for asking so many questions, i have never done something like this before. and another question, when i upgrade to a new version, will all my documents, songs, pics be gone or are they still on my bb? also, can i restore the backups i have made or is that not possible if i have the new version?
    so please please help me with this upgrade installing thing...
    oh, and i got the new 450 version from this link (FreakShare - Easy One-Click File Hosting), is that ok?? :S
    so sorry, again. i hope i'll get better at this
    thanks a lot!
    03-04-11 01:59 PM
    do you have Blackberry desktop manager installed?
    .450 should be fine. Make sure you all install the new OS onto your PC

Go to Control Panel on your PC. And see if you have any "Blackberry Device Software" installed and you should see if its the older one or if its the .450 if you've installed it.

If you have Blackberry Desktop Manager installed, go to: C:/ > Program Files (x86) > Common Files > Research in Motion > apploader
    Delete the vendor.xml file
    Make sure you do a back up in Desktop Manager first. (Sometimes the backup done in the loading process does not always work.)
    Run loader.exe to install the new OS

*Note: Go to: "C:/ > Program Files > Common Files > Research in Motion > apploader" if you run 32-bit version of Windows
    03-04-11 02:20 PM
    so now i found it, the vendor file. thanks a lot!! i deleted it, i already installed the new .450 on desktop and the new desktop software 6.0.1.18. now doing a backup and then..?
    just run the file from the .450? should i do a restore or is everything on the bb automatically?
    03-04-11 02:28 PM
    Once you backup manually via the Desktop Manager then start your update through the loader.exe.

Once the update is completed check to see if your information is restored, if not go back into Desktop manager and restore your info from the back up you did earlier
    03-04-11 05:29 PM
    hey guys!
    so i don't know what happened to my last post from yesterday, it's not here. anyway, everything was ok, all documents are on the phone and the new os version is working just fine. when i was ready with the backup and everything, finally the battery bar went back and it said there that i have only 33% battery but somehow it went to full (99+%) back during the next 20mins. so now without charging it's full, but i think it's going to be ok because if finally showed me something else than 100% battery so i'm waiting now for the battery to show me even less and to see if it finally works. so i charged thu-fri night and after that short 33% period yesterday now it's full again. so i'll keep you posted if i have the problem again but i hope that it is fixed.
    anyway, thank you so so much to all of you for your help!!
    stefi
    03-05-11 06:26 AM
    so, here we go again.... ;(
    the whole day it says 99+ % and suddenly out of nowhere there are only 8% left. thank god for the app i have now where it should notify me when there are only 30% left, well i got the notification at 8% !!! what is wrong again?? ;( also, now i am charging for umm the last 30-45 mins and it is still at 8% and the battery bar on red!!... please help, what can i do?? now i'm charging at the laptop, maybe this works but i have it here for the past 10 mins and still 8%!! what do you think? what can i do to fix it??
    please if you have any idea, let me know how i can fix it!
    thanks a lot!
    stefi
    03-05-11 03:11 PM
    here i have a screenshot from the app batterywatch where you can see from 100 to 8 without anything in between... just out of nowhere!! --- i hope the pic works...
    03-05-11 03:14 PM
    Honestly man, i think you have a bunk battery. It does happen once in a while, like everything else. Have you tried a different one?

03-05-11 03:25 PM
    here another screenshot from the same app approx 1h after beginning to charge..... wtf?!
    03-05-11 03:26 PM
    Dude. New battery.

03-05-11 03:28 PM
    no, i didn't. i did the upgrade yesterday after some of you told me so and i wanted to wait and see if it would work now or not. but it's really stupid that tomorrow is sunday and there are no stores open so i can't buy the battery tomorrow so you think if i buy a new one it might get better??
    03-05-11 03:29 PM
    I am going out on a limb here but I would say definitely. I mean, it really sounds like you have a junk battery.

03-05-11 03:41 PM
    wtf? so as i said, nothing changed and it was still at 8%. now i put the battery out for like 2-3 mins and put it back in, now it says 52%!!! ?! geez this phone is driving me crazy and i expected so much more, still i want to solve it cause otherwise it's really great but i can't keep it the whole day charging and not moving around...
    03-05-11 03:53 PM
    ps. now it goes up.... hmm
    03-05-11 03:54 PM
    I probably wouldn't keep bumping this thread fyi. Its against the rules of the forums. That and I think you already got your answer.

03-05-11 04:00 PM
    ok sorry and thank you!
    03-05-11 04:01 PM
    hey guys, so as i was told, i bought a new battery...
    i was getting my hopes up because when i charged for the first time with the new battery everything was normal - for the first time i could see the battery % going up - und i thought the problem was solved. that was yesterday in the afternoon. today until 30 mins ago everything still up to 99+%, then suddenly 8%, just as it did with the old battery.
    so, i'm helples.... i don't know who else to ask for advice beside you guys so can any one think of why it has that problem and how i could fix it?? i don't even know where to go with the phone because i bought it from amazon.com and i really can't figure it out what to do to finally fix it. also, i have the plug it in and batterywatch app and none of them are "working" cause one says i'm still at 99 and the other one should notify me at 30% but no, only at 8% everything started blinking. and still, only one blink and that was it. afterwards nothing, no red yellow or any other color.....
    please tell me whatever you think would work if you have any idea!! you're my only hope to help me fix it....
    03-10-11 04:25 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD