My friend gave me his "old" work phone, it's a Blackberry 9800 Torch I think. It didn't come with a battery so I bought an OEM replacement. I placed the battery in there and it turns on now and the display just has a cross through a battery icon and an hourglass in the middle of the screen, but doesn't seem to go past this. Looking closer at the manual for the battery, it appears I need to activate the battery using an adapter (which was included) with the original battery, which I don't have... How can I do this without the original battery?

Thanks from a noob
    01-13-12 12:13 PM
    just get another factory 9800 battery from a friend or co worker
    01-13-12 03:53 PM
    I wish I had one, but most people I know have entirely different blackberry phones, I haven't checked for battery compatibility but I imagine they are fairly model specific?
    01-16-12 12:06 PM
    That does not sound to me like an OEM battery. I've heard of these that must be programmed, but never a genuine BlackBerry battery. At any rate, i think you are out of luck.

My advice is buy a genuine BlackBerry battery for your model. You don't need to pay full retail. Shop around.
    01-16-12 12:15 PM
    That does not sound to me like an OEM battery. I've heard of these that must be programmed, but never a genuine BlackBerry battery. At any rate, i think you are out of luck.

My advice is buy a genuine BlackBerry battery for your model. You don't need to pay full retail. Shop around.
    It's not an original battery. The seller claimed in a conversation that it would not need programming so it is being sent back as it clearly does need programming.

I will give a genuine battery a go.

Seems like a way to lock in customers to genuine batteries, ugh.
    01-16-12 12:57 PM
    OEM does not mean the original battery. It means original equipment manufacturer. In practical terms it is synonymous with genuine.
    01-16-12 01:00 PM
    Find a store that sell 9810, ask them if you can use their battery to program yours, if they accept, you win!
    Last edited by AcADIeN; 01-16-12 at 01:46 PM.
    01-16-12 01:37 PM
    OEM does not mean the original battery. It means original equipment manufacturer. In practical terms it is synonymous with genuine.
    Got OEM/genuine and "China special" confused.

Will try asking someone who sells these, but I'm guessing they'd rather sell me a battery for a lot of money, rather than letting me program one.
    01-16-12 02:42 PM
    Got OEM/genuine and "China special" confused.

Will try asking someone who sells these, but I'm guessing they'd rather sell me a battery for a lot of money, rather than letting me program one.
    Good luck. I hope you are able to find genuine BlackBerry batteries that are reasonably priced. I know there are people who report good experiences with knockoffs, but seems risky to me.

Again, good luck.
    01-16-12 02:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD