Hi all, loving the phone still, ok there's an a-team dvd stand in tescos with a sqaure bbm type barcode on it so you can scan for a trailer - so how can I do that please? Can' find the barcode reader outside of bbm
    Ta.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-10 08:04 AM
    Scanlife is another barcode reader. If you look in app world there's a few barcode readers.
    Fubaz likes this.
    11-30-10 08:09 AM
    I use ScanLife as well... its a good little app
    11-30-10 08:20 AM
    I'm a ScanLife user too, app always seems to work pretty well. Does the BBM scanner not work though?

11-30-10 08:31 AM
    I use the scanner in App World. Open App World, hit the BB button, and select scan barcode.
    11-30-10 09:49 AM
    I've tried a few and find QR Code Scanner Pro (free in App World) to be the best.

Many of the other scanners need to take a photo of the code before reading it. QR Code doesn't. That alone makes it worthwhile IMO.
    homer1475 and Yasmeenabeena like this.
    11-30-10 10:13 AM
    I've tried a few and find QR Code Scanner Pro (free in App World) to be the best.

Many of the other scanners need to take a photo of the code before reading it. QR Code doesn't. That alone makes it worthwhile IMO.
    Haven't tried this one, but not having to take a picture is a nice feature. With scanlife I have to go in and delete the barcode picture from my picture library.
    11-30-10 10:47 AM
    Haven't tried this one, but not having to take a picture is a nice feature. With scanlife I have to go in and delete the barcode picture from my picture library.
    It's not that big a deal, but that extra step was really bugging me.
    11-30-10 10:52 AM
    I prefer scanlife but lately not working properly for me

11-30-10 10:52 AM
    What do these other apps do that the barcode scanner in App World doesn't do? I've used it quite a few times and it worked fine and it doesn't save a picture to the phone.
    11-30-10 10:55 AM
    You can try to open it w/ BBM. It will handle URLs and phone numbers by hitting BB->Scan Group Barcode. Then scan the barcode as you would for a group, if it is a phone number or URL, it will ask you if you want to proceed to the URL or make the call. It doesn't seem to work with free-text based QR codes though.
    11-30-10 11:15 AM
    correct me if i'm wrong but qr code scanner pro only scans qr codes and scanlife will also scan upc codes
    11-30-10 11:30 AM
    Cheers guys, can see it under app world now - why is it there? Could be a more intuative under applications????
    Tried scanning as per bbm, but didn't get any options after scan.
    Could be os version? I'm on 246.

I'll try again Thursday and feedback.

Oh also on the real keyboard is there an alt lock or caps lock option?

Ta

11-30-10 04:18 PM
    Surely the bbm scanner is purely for scanning bbm group barcodes ?

11-30-10 04:23 PM

It is for scanning any barcodes related to BBM whether just adding a bbm contact or a bbm group
    11-30-10 04:25 PM

Not for me, and I don't see how it would be different for the Torch, same version of BBM. I scan QR codes all the time with my Storm using the BBM group barcode scanner. Everything from movie posters, ones in catalogs, I've even scanned some random ones I've seen in documents at work (just brings up different numbers that are tied to that document).

My favorite thing though is the Google Chrome browser has a QR code generator plug-in. So when I'm on the PC and want to view a link or page on my BB all I need to do is right-click and choose generate and it will open a new tab with a code. The BBM scanner will read it in a few seconds then ask me if I want to open the page. Works great for downloading apps...
    11-30-10 04:33 PM
    Not for me, and I don't see how it would be different for the Torch, same version of BBM. I scan QR codes all the time with my Storm using the BBM group barcode scanner. Everything from movie posters, ones in catalogs, I've even scanned some random ones I've seen in documents at work (just brings up different numbers that are tied to that document).

My favorite thing though is the Google Chrome browser has a QR code generator plug-in. So when I'm on the PC and want to view a link or page on my BB all I need to do is right-click and choose generate and it will open a new tab with a code. The BBM scanner will read it in a few seconds then ask me if I want to open the page. Works great for downloading apps...
    For some reason RIM either broke or removed the ability to scan QR codes through BBM with the recent OS builds (or OS 6?)
    12-01-10 09:29 AM
    +1 on the QR Code Scanner Pro. Works every time.
    12-02-10 02:35 PM
    I just scan barcodes using Appworld, which works fine.
    12-02-10 02:39 PM

How does the program work I downloaded it and when I click on scan QR code the camera type screen opens up and it does nothing.
    12-21-10 12:50 PM
    Barcode assistant work perfect for me, and it also have an history.
    12-21-10 12:57 PM
    I get it them all to read the scan,(code muncher seems fastest to me) but the result is displayed like so:
    MECARD%3AN%name% address%20number%3borg%

saying that in the above example, name address and number are my code info. how do I get it to remove the percent signs and the mumbo jumbo that is not actual info? or is that the way its supposed to decipher?
    01-01-11 07:30 PM

definitely going to try this... never exactly got the "scanning barcodes" thing even with my 8900! thanks again for the tip.
    01-01-11 07:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD