I just got UMA working on my unlocked Torch 9800 running on Rogers. I can confirm that automatic handover from 3G to Wifi and Wifi to 3G works also!

Here is how it's done. First you need to get to the engineering screens (which is done the same was as on the 9700). The code generator can be found here (scroll down). ESCREEN CODE GENERATOR.

Once you are into the escreens, go to "mobile network engineering screens", then "Utilities", then "Session Manager". It should show nothing.

Hit the BB key to bring up the menu and then scroll down to "UMA Options".

Hit the BB key again and select "New"

Now uncheck the default boxes and enter these settings:

Back out and save it. IMPORTANT: DO NOT MESS AROUND IN THE ESCREENS AS YOU CAN BRICK YOUR PHONE.

Now you will notice that you suddenly have the option for "Wifi Preferred" in the mobile network options screen!!

That's it! I then had UMA with handoff!

ICEMAN9 likes this.
    08-15-10 06:25 PM
    im sorry but what does UMA allow you to do
    08-15-10 06:33 PM
    im sorry but what does UMA allow you to do
    Unlicensed Mobile Access, you can use Wi-Fi to get access to BB services and make phone calls. This is no the same as VoIP, the Wi-Fi signal goes to a special router that switches it to the regular phone network.

So like me, if you are in a place where radio signals cannot penetrate but you have Wi-Fi, you don't lose any phone capabilities. It is one of the biggest reasons I get phones with UMA, total convenience.
    08-15-10 06:37 PM
    Will this save money on ROAMING / Long distance??

Not 100% sure what the benefit is?
    08-15-10 07:48 PM
    quick question.. does this UMA work on the 9700 for bell too?
    08-15-10 08:00 PM
    The minutes used on UMA come out of your regular minute bucket, so you will still be charged as if you were on 3G. The main benefit of UMA is to be able to make calls in areas (such as a basement) where EDGE/3G signals are weak.
    08-15-10 08:23 PM
    quick question.. does this UMA work on the 9700 for bell too?
    That I don't know. I am on Rogers and I dont know if Telus/Bell supports UMA.
    08-15-10 08:24 PM
    Does UMA cost anything? Do you have to add it to your rogers plan or is it something that just works?
    08-15-10 09:31 PM
    UMA is only on Rogers/Fido in Canada... no one else has it, next time please search and you will find that out...

As for getting UMA on the 9800. that was one of the main reasons why i didnt get a AT&T one as i want/need UMA and well the other reason is guess i want a warranty incase something goes wrong and it needs to be replaced
    08-16-10 09:32 AM
    i did all the settings and UMA is not popping up...
    08-16-10 09:37 AM
    UMA is only on Rogers/Fido in Canada... no one else has it, next time please search and you will find that out...

As for getting UMA on the 9800. that was one of the main reasons why i didnt get a AT&T one as i want/need UMA and well the other reason is guess i want a warranty incase something goes wrong and it needs to be replaced
    UMA is one of the main reasons I haven't defected from t-mobile. It's awesome.
    08-16-10 09:45 AM
    I just got UMA working on my unlocked Torch 9800 running on Rogers. I can confirm that automatic handover from 3G to Wifi and Wifi to 3G works also!

Here is how it's done. First you need to get to the engineering screens (which is done the same was as on the 9700). The code generator can be found here (scroll down). ESCREEN CODE GENERATOR.

Once you are into the escreens, go to "mobile network engineering screens", then "Utilities", then "Session Manager". It should show nothing.

Hit the BB key to bring up the menu and then scroll down to "UMA Options".

Hit the BB key again and select "New"

Now uncheck the default boxes and enter these settings:

Back out and save it. IMPORTANT: DO NOT MESS AROUND IN THE ESCREENS AS YOU CAN BRICK YOUR PHONE.

Now you will notice that you suddenly have the option for "Wifi Preferred" in the mobile network options screen!!

That's it! I then had UMA with handoff!

hi it seemed so simply and i followed all the step but no UMA - im at work right now where i have to log onto the free internet at the hotel could this be casuing the lack of seeing UMA on my screen. I still on see 3G.
    08-16-10 11:54 AM
    I dont see "ca.rogers.com" under the SEGW certificate. Can anyone please help?

Thanks
    08-17-10 12:57 PM
    Also - how did you take screenshots of your Torch? Does the Torch have that built-in functionality like the iPhone?
    08-17-10 01:01 PM
    Unlicensed Mobile Access, you can use Wi-Fi to get access to BB services and make phone calls. This is no the same as VoIP, the Wi-Fi signal goes to a special router that switches it to the regular phone network.

So like me, if you are in a place where radio signals cannot penetrate but you have Wi-Fi, you don't lose any phone capabilities. It is one of the biggest reasons I get phones with UMA, total convenience.
    Oh that's nice! I didn't know about that.
    08-17-10 01:18 PM
    Also - how did you take screenshots of your Torch? Does the Torch have that built-in functionality like the iPhone?
    I'll PM you a link, not sure if it'll work with OS 6 though.
    08-17-10 01:19 PM
    The ca.rogers certificate is waaaaaaaaay down on the list.

I used captureit for screenshots.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-10 01:26 PM
    I checked the entire list, didnt see ca.rogers. I assume you're using an AT&T Torch, is there anything I can do to get it on the list.

Thanks
    08-17-10 01:36 PM
    I checked the entire list, didnt see ca.rogers. I assume you're using an AT&T Torch, is there anything I can do to get it on the list.

Thanks
    there is only AT&T Torch is out right now.
    and im still not getting UMA kind of strange all the steps have been followed to a "T"
    08-17-10 01:39 PM
    Does everyone else have ca.rogers except me?? Whats the deal? : (
    08-17-10 01:52 PM
    i have it
    its near the very bottom
    08-17-10 02:03 PM
    i dont have the rogers one either.. i have...

"Rogers Wireless Test Root CA"

and

"Rogers Wireless Root CA"

Neither seem to work
    08-17-10 02:36 PM
    The ca.rogers certificate is waaaaaaaaay down on the list.

I used captureit for screenshots.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    hmm i have the ca.rogers certificate and it still doesn't work!? i get the extra options for wifi-preferred but no UMA .. still says 3G
    Last edited by knowledge_6; 08-17-10 at 03:04 PM.
    08-17-10 02:51 PM
    OK, Ive downloaded the certificate (ca.rogers.com), its a .der file. I know I can sync it through desktop manager, but can I just email it to myself and open it on the phone?

Thanks
    08-17-10 03:05 PM
    where did you get the file, and how do we get it?
    08-17-10 07:15 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD