First off, this one should be PINED at the top. I got the 9800 on release day and did a device transfer from my 9000. The phone works GREAT but did seem a hair laggy. My girlfriend purchased the phone same day and she was coming from the iPhone 3G, so no transfer and her phone ran much smoother than mine, I thought. After running these simple fixes of removing the stuff I never use (but that my older phone made active in the transfer) it works like the day I got it before the transfer.

Thank you very much for these tips, I love the phone even more now!
    09-03-10 10:35 AM
    Where are the instructions to load the newer OS? Using the newest desktop mgr?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-10 11:33 AM
    Contrary to popular opinion, the 9800 isn't a laggy device. Sorry to disappoint.

I just enabled the password and locked the device. After unlocking I can go directly to any task I want with zero lag. Trackpad works, everything works. Will check on a bunch of other 9800's today and see what I come up with.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Well? If you're going to run your mouth, the least you could do is come back and update us with your findings. It's been almost a week. And I'm sorry, but you're simply wrong to state the 9800 has no lag. The fact that you felt the need to even start a thread about deleting apps to make the device run smoother says it all. Now I have to go help my girlfriend return her laggy 9800 that you swear has no lag. This kind of nonsense is why I left Blackberry. Deleting apps to make the device smoother is a joke. Now if I can only convince my gf!
    Last edited by Marine One; 09-03-10 at 02:28 PM.
    09-03-10 02:26 PM
    Well? If you're going to run your mouth, the least you could do is come back and update us with your findings. It's been almost a week. And I'm sorry, but you're simply wrong to state the 9800 has no lag. The fact that you felt the need to even start a thread about deleting apps to make the device run smoother says it all. Now I have to go help my girlfriend return her laggy 9800 that you swear has no lag. This kind of nonsense is why I left Blackberry. Deleting apps to make the device smoother is a joke. Now if I can only convince my gf!
    I'm sorry but have you ever bought a computer? They often come loaded with junk and crap preinstalled. The first thing I always do is reformat and install a fresh copy of Windows. The same goes for phones in my opinion.

Give it a try and stop complaining and you might be happier for it. It really does make a difference.
    09-03-10 02:33 PM
    I'm sorry but have you ever bought a computer? They often come loaded with junk and crap preinstalled. The first thing I always do is reformat and install a fresh copy of Windows. The same goes for phones in my opinion.

Give it a try and stop complaining and you might be happier for it. It really does make a difference.
    Hey I don't care if my gf wants to use a device that lags. SHE is the one complaining. I told her it was going to happen.

I followed the directions in this thread and it did no good. Her 9800 lags occasionally for no reason. The browser will just freeze, for example. Not all the time...but it seems to always do it at the wrong time.

All I'm saying is this: the damn device does like to lag at times and for a mod to get sarcastic and then disappear, yeah it bothers me a little. And honestly, after reading that Kevin M's 9800 just died for no reason, I'm telling my gf in no uncertain terms that if she gets another 9800 she's on her own. I'm not returning another one nor am I spending half a day trying to fix a brand new device.

Oh...and I cannot believe you compared the 9800 to a computer loaded with bloat. That pretty much says it all as well.
    09-03-10 02:41 PM
    The 9800 does have bloat on it though, make sure you go into your Service Book and delete all the extra stuff there too. Which are the links do download actual apps, like Sonic and the mobile banking app. If you remove all the stuff you will never want or have a need to use it helps.
    09-03-10 02:46 PM
    Hey I don't care if my gf wants to use a device that lags. SHE is the one complaining. I told her it was going to happen.

I followed the directions in this thread and it did no good. Her 9800 lags occasionally for no reason. The browser will just freeze, for example. Not all the time...but it seems to always do it at the wrong time.

All I'm saying is this: the damn device does like to lag at times and for a mod to get sarcastic and then disappear, yeah it bothers me a little. And honestly, after reading that Kevin M's 9800 just died for no reason, I'm telling my gf in no uncertain terms that if she gets another 9800 she's on her own. I'm not returning another one nor am I spending half a day trying to fix a brand new device.

Oh...and I cannot believe you compared the 9800 to a computer loaded with bloat. That pretty much says it all as well.
    All I'm saying is try a wipe and reinstall of the OS and you might find the lag gone and the device snappier than ever - most say .161 also offers faster device speed and browsing - though there is a notification bug. As OS6 matures and leaks continue to come, the Torch will continue to get better and faster.

This is my experience. If you aren't willing to spend 20-30 minutes to see if you can make the device faster, that's your loss.

You seem like you've been personally offended by a phone and your girlfriend's desire to use it. Why don't you try to enjoy helping her instead of being so obviously offended that she wanted a BB and didn't take your advice. This forum is FULL of people who love their 9800's so I'd suggest trying to add your girlfriend to that list if that's what she wants. (This is also from experience - my girlfriend getting what she wants is always better for me in the end lol)
    09-03-10 03:42 PM
    Surrounded by morons........
    09-03-10 03:49 PM
    I basically agree with everything Jeffreii said above.
    And yes deleting all the junk your phone is pre-loaded with does help. All the demo games, TV services etc can and should be deleted if not being used.

Like I said before. The original OS is laggy after the passcode lock/unlock but the OS upgrade took care of all that plus more. Increased battery life, faster web browsing etc. It is an overall better build.
    Been running the OS for a few days and the only bug I see is that while web browsing, if you press the Back button (button next to the red dial key) it doesn't go back to the previous browsing page. But I'm willing to live with that rather than a laggy, slow Torch.

Here is the link to find the new leaked OS: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=525148

If you read the thread you will find instructions on how to install. If not, read the stickies and they will show you step by step instructions. And if anyone has any other questions thats what the forums are for
    Good luck!!
    09-08-10 01:58 PM
    I can confirm that the new leaked OS, 214, has solved some problems for me. I skipped .161. 214 got rid of the tinny sound quality, I seemed to have had it very bad on my phone. It also got rid of any lag that I was experiencing. I was ready to return my phone and my wifes phone. I am very pleased with .214. i would encourage folks to install this build. I have run it for 2 days now and it has been great.
    09-08-10 03:11 PM
85 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD