This is my first Blackberry and I'm sort of reserved on installing software leaks -- call me a rookie. Anyway, I'm with Telus and it came with .246 version, which is the latest official version, I think. How long can one typically expect BB to have an OFFICIAL new release and send it out to a provider? I don't really have a problem with the way .246 runs (if it ain't broke...) and I guess I'm sort of nervous about doing the whole uninstall, reinstall business, being that I'm new to it. Are the leaks normally just a work in process?
    I know the apprehension -- I felt the same way when the .246 leak came out just days after I got my Torch. The directions provided by many members here are very thorough and accurate. You do need to pay pretty close attention to what you're doing, but for the most part it's very straightforward and only takes about 20-30 minutes from start to finish.

Leaked OS's are usually in final form from RIM and are just awaiting the carriers to verify them before they become 'official', which can take months from the time RIM releases them. With very few exceptions (.448 apparently being one of them), they hit the streets ready for prime time.

When I first got this Torch, I had never installed a leak, and in fact I may only have installed one official OS upgrade on my Bold before that. I was just as hesitant as you are when that first leak came out. But with the great information available here from some helpful members, upgrades are a piece of cake. Jump over to the Leaked/Beta OS forum and have a look at what's there.

If you decide to give it a whirl, be patient -- some of the download sites are very slow if you're not paying for their premium service.

Oh yeah, btw ... I did install .450 late last night (after installing .448 just a few hours before!). No problems at all. Biggest improvement I've noticed is the touch screen when browsing is much more precise. Definitely recommend it.
    Last edited by 18to12fitty; 01-29-11 at 10:59 AM.
    01-29-11 10:50 AM
    To make a long story short, eeeverything is smooth and zippy including pinch to zoom on .450. Haven't had any complaints yet. Will test the batterylife for a few days then report back oh yeah if you are still on .337 or .246 you will notice some new changes. I've posted them on the ".450 findings and fixes" thread if your wondering what they are.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-11 11:38 AM
    This is my first Blackberry and I'm sort of reserved on installing software leaks -- call me a rookie. Anyway, I'm with Telus and it came with .246 version, which is the latest official version, I think. How long can one typically expect BB to have an OFFICIAL new release and send it out to a provider? I don't really have a problem with the way .246 runs (if it ain't broke...) and I guess I'm sort of nervous about doing the whole uninstall, reinstall business, being that I'm new to it. Are the leaks normally just a work in process?

The Torch updates were the first updates I had worked with, as well, since my last BB was the World Edition and no updates had been released for that recently. I highly recommend going with App Loader to install. It's simple and quick. You can find instructions on many forums here on how to use App Loader. Generally, you want to delete any old BB device software, download the new OS update, run the OS update program, go into Program Files- Common Files- Research in Motion-App Loader- then delete the Vendor File. Then you can select App Loader and go through the install process. (But I'd recommend finding more detailed instructions. This is just from my memory)I'd also recommend you have some patience and some general trouble-shooting instincts. If all else fails, turn to the lovely and helpful folks here at CB.
    01-29-11 12:51 PM
    Backup your device before you install the new OS.

01-29-11 01:53 PM
    Anyone using Vlingo? I have a problem when re-setting it up under .450. It is supposed to scan my address book, takes just a few seconds, but it hangs.

So I deleted the application in application world, re-installed and went through the set-up process again, but same thing.

Could it be not working with .450?

Harry
    01-29-11 04:10 PM
    Thanks for your info and help guys.
    01-29-11 05:56 PM
    I had problems with the 448 install, but 450 was smooth as butter. I haven't noticed a ton of difference between the two, but I agree with others that have found the phone - especially the browser - more responsive.
    01-29-11 07:37 PM
    The battery life on .450 is way better than previous updates (haven't tried .448 so that isn't included but assuming its as good as .450). Been using it all day (14 hours so far) and heavy usage and now down to 65%. Very very impressed with the battery life improvement and I think the very long wait time was well worth it. Koodos to RIM for taking their time to make some major improvements in this update (y)

01-29-11 08:31 PM
    I am not having much problems since I installed .450 and so far so good. I recommend it to.

- Charles

01-29-11 09:15 PM
    Been using it since it leaked yesterday evening. Rock solid so far for me.no noticeable issues yet. Seems light and fast.

01-29-11 10:23 PM
    Anyone using Vlingo? I have a problem when re-setting it up under .450. It is supposed to scan my address book, takes just a few seconds, but it hangs.

So I deleted the application in application world, re-installed and went through the set-up process again, but same thing.

Harry
    I can tell you I have had no problem with Vlingo on .448. I have no plans to try .450 right now -- indeed, I had just arrived home last night and was about to install .448, when I saw that .450 had been leaked; and I was going to install that instead, but after readintg the first few pages of the .450 thread, I saw that certain improvements/features -- those of the type that you can immediately ascertain, such as the pulsing battery charge icon -- were reported not to be on .450, so I opted to install .448 instead.

01-29-11 10:27 PM

Harry
    I have my Torch on .450 and Vlingo works great no problems it didn't hang for me. Really wierd that its not working for you
    01-29-11 10:36 PM
    Nice that 450 finally fixes the dial tone issues with some phone numbers

01-29-11 11:27 PM
    Everything works great for me with no bugs at all, yet. The sms bug is fixed, everything is generally faster, and the battery life is also better. No complaints here!
    01-29-11 11:32 PM
    works great. All gps apps work WAY faster and browser is WAY faster. Love it. Recommend it to everyone.

01-30-11 01:31 AM
    I tried 448 no problems, then tried 450 and had problems and it even mucked up my memory card all photos gone!! so gone back to original as cant download 448 as been taken off all the download sites!
    01-30-11 12:52 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD