My 8900 took decent macro shots. You could get a focus quite close. The torch camera doesn't want to focus anywhere closer than about 5 inches it would seem. Am I missing something? Running .246
    10-13-10 09:37 PM
    I noticed it on .214 also when I tried to scan a barcode. I did not test in .148 or whatever was att stock, but still agree, closeup is useless on torch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-10 09:51 PM
    While I agree that the closeup mode on the 9800 isn't the greatest, it's decent enough considering that we're talking about only a 5mp camera that's in a cell phone. You can get decent enough results with some adjustments to the camera settings.

Here's a couple of pics I shot. I do wish somebody would come out with a good 1D barcode scanner app for the 9800 that works like the one on the android phones though. I know there's an option to scan 2D barcodes on the Torch but I've never tried it.

Taken in 1024 mode on Torch using closeup mode autofocus set to single no flash using overhead room lighting (9 recessed 65 watt spots). Soap bottle roughly 2 to 2 1/2 inches from lens, scissors handle and glass cutting board roughly 3 to 3 1/2 inches from lens. Quality is decent enough I feel the focus is good enough considering the distance from the lens. You can tell what the subject is.

Taken outside with camera in standard closeup mode leaving all settings stock the cup is roughly 4 inches from lens picture was resized to 70% of original using MS Office picture manager just to get the file size down for faster loading, but otherwise untouched. All in all a good picture I think. Please excuse the blatant plug for SB
    Last edited by cwmont; 10-21-10 at 12:25 PM.
    10-21-10 12:21 PM
    I like the close-up mode. Got a great pic of a rose in my yard and of an insect with close-up mode. The detail on the bug's wing was very cool. But, never used a 8900 so can't compare. What is impressive is how close it is in quality to my nice Canon digital camera with a zoom that I've had for a few years (7.1mp).
    10-21-10 06:16 PM
    I shot these with my 8900 (3MP)

and with TORCH

10-21-10 08:42 PM
    That's quite a difference, but it looks like the first pictures were taken outside with a lot of sunlight. The second batch indoors with flourescent...if that is the case, it could make some of the difference. But either way, yeah, the Torch doesn't have the best macro abilities.

Oh, and MP doesn't make the main difference in the quality of the pic, really just the size.
    10-21-10 08:53 PM
    That's quite a difference, but it looks like the first pictures were taken outside with a lot of sunlight. The second batch indoors with flourescent...if that is the case, it could make some of the difference. But either way, yeah, the Torch doesn't have the best macro abilities.
    Agreed sunlight makes a difference but I have taken quite a few inside with both. Love to know why the difference...optics, software or what.

10-21-10 08:56 PM
    Torch from 2 inches...

I am not seeing the problem... You can even see the texture on the box AND a white table and this isn't even full size....
    10-21-10 09:01 PM
    Some units definately have an issues with macro. I could not even use any of the barcode readers since the image would not be in focus.

I found a workaround though

While in camera mode you have an option to zoom in by sliding your finger on the right edge of the screen. If you zoom in all the way by sliding up, macro images will work much better with an added convenience of having phone farther from the subject.

10-22-10 08:20 AM
    Maybe also adjust the focus from single shot to continuous or vice versa. You should certainly be getting a better shot than what you posted. I also use the zoom and hold the camera further away. Perhaps it's a focal point difference between the cameras.
    10-22-10 02:08 PM
    If you're using continuous focus and take the shot before the focus occurs, it's going to be blurry...

I focus with the camera button on signle shot focus.
    10-22-10 04:13 PM
    If you're using continuous focus and take the shot before the focus occurs, it's going to be blurry...

I focus with the camera button on signle shot focus.
    They were taken in single mode and holding. Button and waiting for focus. Will try some in daylight.

10-22-10 10:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD