This is my favorite part of my 9000. The external speakers blow away my wife's 9700. As much as I want the 9800, if it has crappy speakers-------I may not pull the trigger.
    05-21-10 01:53 PM
    The 9000 probably has the best set of speakers on any cell phone ever. RIM spent a lot of time on research for the 9000's sound system. It is therefore doubtful that the 9800 will have speakers/sound system any better than the 9700.

I do not know this for a fact but the known form factor would seem to indicate this.

RIM seems to have abandoned a lot of the very expensive research and testing that they put into the 9000 which was supposed to be all things good in a cell phone. It had:
    - radical memory allocation - now gone.
    - a keyboard that was proven, yes proven by testing to be faster and more accurate to type on - now gone.
    - a great sound system with acoustic pipes (like in the Bose wave radio) for good sound - now gone.
    05-21-10 03:05 PM
    - radical memory allocation - now gone.
    care to explain that one ?
    05-21-10 10:10 PM
    I believe he means that when the 9000 came out, it had a huge amount of on-board memory, compared to other phones at the time. Now, BlackBerry phones have a comparatively small amount of memory.
    05-21-10 10:29 PM
    1Gb memory on board comprising:
    - 128Mb Device Memory
    - 896Mb private internal memory that was not removable but could be blocked off via BES.

This made the 9000's memory very secure indeed.

It has not been used since.
    05-22-10 05:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD