No I dont think so. I don't really mind the resolution while it would have been nicer to have a nicer resolution. I just hope it'll have OS 6.
    It has been well documented that it will
    08-05-10 06:50 PM
    It has been well documented that it will
    He posted that in March dude.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-10 07:40 PM
    He posted that in March dude.

well, egg on my face for not looking at the post date
    08-05-10 08:09 PM
    Do I need a super hi-rez screen to make phone call? - NO
    Do I need a super hi-rez screen to create/read email? - NO
    Do I need a super hi-rez screen to use BBM? - NO
    Do I need a super hi-rez screen to listen to music? - NO

Since the above list describes about 90% of what I use my phone for on a daily basis (as do everyone I work with), what I want is the best possible phone that does all of the above. Looks like the 9800 fits the bill.

Sure, a higher rez screen is a 'nice to have' feature, but where does it really add any useful value? Web browsing, game playing and watching videos.

Thing is, if I need to extensively surf the web, do some serious gaming or watch movies, I'd much rather do it on my super hi-rez, 24" HD compatible monitor (or my 52" TV).

Just because you can do these things on a smartphone doesn't mean you should...
    Having a phone with a 4" LCD and a close to 4:3 aspect ratio is awesome. I dumped my cowon o2 instantly.

Switching headphone jacks to answer a phone call while carrying stuff sucks. If you're on the go, having one device that can do both tasks well is awesome.

I would not even care about having a touch screen phone if stuck on a 3" LCD with a 4:3 aspect ratio. I couldn't justify getting rid of a good PMP.

With the incredible and the evo, a cowon pmp almost becomes redundant.

Web browsing benefits from the resolution as well. The phone actually becomes usable for it, instead of a pain-in-the-***-but-it-can-kind-of-do-it situation.
    08-05-10 09:12 PM

Since the above list describes about 90% of what I use my phone for on a daily basis (as do everyone I work with), what I want is the best possible phone that does all of the above. Looks like the 9800 fits the bill.

Sure, a higher rez screen is a 'nice to have' feature, but where does it really add any useful value? Web browsing, game playing and watching videos.

Thing is, if I need to extensively surf the web, do some serious gaming or watch movies, I'd much rather do it on my super hi-rez, 24" HD compatible monitor (or my 52" TV).

It's not about what you need. Its about what the competition is offering. You are paying the same price for that low res screen on a 2 year contract (not to mention the other outdated hardware) as someone who is getting a high res screen. You as a consumer should want more for your money even if you don't need it. Or you should atleast demand the 9800 to be a cheaper device on contract. Its a nice BB but it is not worth the same price as the competition.
    08-05-10 09:18 PM
    It's not about what you need. Its about what the competition is offering. You are paying the same price for that low res screen on a 2 year contract (not to mention the other outdated hardware) as someone who is getting a high res screen. You as a consumer should want more for your money even if you don't need it. Or you should atleast demand the 9800 to be a cheaper device on contract. Its a nice BB but it is not worth the same price as the competition.
    Screen resolution is not that only thing you're paying for when you purchase a smartphone.

Take PUSH email, for example. Should all non-BlackBerry users demand their devices be sold to them cheaper because they don't have the same email capability as BlackBerry?

Sure, the 9800 could have been designed with a higher resolution screen, but it would cost more. BlackBerry and AT&T worked together to design a device at this specific price-point.

I spent about an hour with the 9800 today. I was very pleased with the device and have no complaints about the screen resolution. In fact, I prefer the 9800 screen over my 9700's screen because of the larger size, even though they have the same resolution.

And by the way... it IS about what I need, not what "the competition" is offering. I'm the one using the device. My needs are not dependent on what others offer.
    Last edited by VeryBold; 08-07-10 at 12:25 PM.
    08-07-10 12:22 PM

Do I need a super hi-rez screen to do all those things? - NO

Do I need a super hi-rez screen to stay competitive with other smartphones and not completely fall out of the consumer market which could potentially grow to billions of phones? - YES
    08-07-10 12:30 PM
    Screen resolution is not that only thing you're paying for when you purchase a smartphone.

Take PUSH email, for example. Should all non-BlackBerry users demand their devices be sold to them cheaper because they don't have the same email capability as BlackBerry?

Sure, the 9800 could have been designed with a higher resolution screen, but it would cost more. BlackBerry and AT&T worked together to design a device at this specific price-point.

I spent about an hour with the 9800 today. I was very pleased with the device and have no complaints about the screen resolution. In fact, I prefer the 9800 screen over my 9700's screen because of the larger size, even though they have the same resolution.

And by the way... it IS about what I need, not what "the competition" is offering. I'm the one using the device. My needs are not dependent on what others offer.
    Cost more? They are charging you the SAME price on on contract for this device with less hardware against devices with better. You really think it would cost more? Apple's retina display is $30 I believe, and if I remember correctly, the Droids screen is about $17. Not that much extra, especially when most of the sales they make on devices are from contract renewals and additions. The majority of people do not go out and buy the phone full retail.

And I'm sorry, other platforms receive push email just fine. That argument is getting played out.
    08-07-10 12:43 PM
    I think that RIM is contradicting itself.
    RIM wants us to do more with our blackberry. Use it as WE want
    They updated all the media features, but left us with the same screen resolution.
    Would it not make sense when you are marketing a device to do more than just calling
    to put in a higher rez display?
    08-07-10 12:46 PM
    They updated all the media features, but left us with the same screen resolution.
    Would it not make sense when you market a device to do more than just calling
    It would make sense to add better specs as well and not the same recycled hardware. You want us to do more, then give us more than we have already had.
    08-07-10 12:49 PM
    Would it not make sense when you are marketing a device to do more than just calling
    So how exactly does a higher resolution screen allow you to do more? Does being able to read microscopic text count? I'd anything, a higher resolution display will hamstring the phone by making it run slower, and killing the battery life.
    What do you really gain?

08-07-10 01:17 PM
    So how exactly does a higher resolution screen allow you to do more? Does being able to read microscopic text count? I'd anything, a higher resolution display will hamstring the phone by making it run slower, and killing the battery life.
    What do you really gain?

I agree with you... People are just looking for bragging rights...
    08-07-10 01:20 PM
    What do you really gain?

When's the last time you went out and bought a 640x480 resolution screen for your computer? You don't NEED anything higher to use your computer, so why don't you just change your screens resolution to as low as it goes?

You don't NEED an HDTV. SDTV is perfectly fine, you get the idea, you can clearly see what's going on. So why does everybody have an HDTV now??? Why would people possible want something better than SD??

Times change, technology and standards change. RIM needs to keep up
    08-07-10 01:22 PM
    I agree with you... People are just looking for bragging rights...
    It's not bragging rights. Most of the competition have the same high quality screens. A lot of people just want that quality for BB, especially when it's offered for the same price as the competition.
    08-07-10 01:24 PM
    If they would throw in a battery that would compensate 100% for the screen resolution difference and not add extra bulk, than I'm all for it.

With the battery the 9800 has, a higher resolution screen would most likely drain the battery far too quickly.
    08-07-10 01:27 PM
    What do you really gain?

Okay, but if Apple can do it why can't RIM?
    It feels old... I don't know... Someone else in this thread used the words :
    'recycled hardware', that is kinda what I think too...

If I could afford to get one, I would. Seriously, I would, but I am not likely willing to spend top $$$ to get an unlocked device especially now Rim will not
    give me Os 6 to play with on my storm2.
    08-07-10 01:28 PM
    It's not bragging rights. Most of the competition have the same high quality screens. A lot of people just want that quality for BB, especially when it's offered for the same price as the competition.
    This. And it's about keeping up with the rest of the market. People keep talking about not NEEDING a higher resolution screen, or a faster/modern processor.

Are all of these people also running windows 98 on a Pentium II processor with a 640x480 screen? You don't NEED any more than that. You can write documents and check email and do some limited web browsing.
    08-07-10 01:29 PM
    Oh common... It's like those people buying netbooks with 10.1" screens capable of doing 1080p.

It's a 3.2" screen. Having a higher resolution will just enable us to barely make the text on unzoomed web pages.

Other then that, 360x480 doesn't prevent me from doing anything.

Higher resolution means that more buffer will be required (= more estate required hardware wise), more buffer processing time will be required (ie.: more CPU), etc... At one point, you have to compromise somewhere... What will it be? Resolution? Battery Life? Processing Power? Memory? Device Size? Weight?

I rather it be resolution.
    Last edited by FineWolf; 08-07-10 at 01:40 PM.
    08-07-10 01:35 PM
    When's the last time you went out and bought a 640x480 resolution screen for your computer? You don't NEED anything higher to use your computer, so why don't you just change your screens resolution to as low as it goes?

You don't NEED an HDTV. SDTV is perfectly fine, you get the idea, you can clearly see what's going on. So why does everybody have an HDTV now??? Why would people possible want something better than SD??

Times change, technology and standards change. RIM needs to keep up
    Yeah, except we're not talking about monitors or HDTVs. We're talking about a relatively tiny screen of about 4 inches. The difference is minimal at best. Second of all, battery life and speed is irrelevant for TVs. Third, this does not answer my question: what does a high resolution allow you to do that a low resolution screen can't?

Last edited by Masahiro; 08-07-10 at 01:40 PM.
    08-07-10 01:37 PM

Because I'm not watching my HDTV on a 3.2" screen... I'm watching it on a 52" TV where it makes a difference.
    08-07-10 01:39 PM
    Oh common... It's like those people buying netbooks with 10.1" screens capable of doing 1080p.

It's a 3.2" screen. Having a higher resolution will just enable us to barely make the text on unzoomed web pages.

Other then that, 360x480 doesn't prevent me from doing anything.
    What are you talking about? Barely make the text? Higher res will make the text much more crisp and less strenuous on the eyes. Higher resolution also gives your screen much more real-estate to work with.

360x480 wont prevent you from doing anything, but that is also the typical BB user response along the lines of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". And that mindset belongs in the 1800s.
    08-07-10 01:40 PM
    Because I'm not watching my HDTV on a 3.2" screen... I'm watching it on a 52" TV where it makes a difference.
    Actually, if you have ever used a screen with a higher resolution, you would know it makes a difference. This statement proves you have not.

H*ll, I look at my OG iPod Touch and then look at my Droid/DX and just laugh at the difference. It is there, some people just don't want to realize it.
    08-07-10 01:42 PM
    Yeah, except we're not talking about monitors or HDTVs. We're talking about a relatively tiny screen of about 4 inches. The difference us minimal at best. Second of all, battery life and speed is irrelevant for TVs. Third, this does not answer my question: what does a high resolution allow you to do that a low resolution screen can't?

-sharper text
    -editing/viewing documents/spreadsheets
    -websites much easier to read
    -there's actually a usable portion of the screen left when the virtual keyboard is showing.
    08-07-10 01:43 PM
    No, it is not a deal breaker. I'm not going to watch movies on a 3.2 or even a 4.x (can't remember what the Droid X is) screen. If I really need to watch a movie when I'm away from home, I have a laptop for that.

As long as the screen allows me to see my email/documents/spreadsheets clearly, that is what I need.

The real deal breaker for me is how the device and most importantly (for me) the keyboard feels in my hand. I'll find that out when I go play with one in the AT&T store
    08-07-10 01:44 PM
    What are you talking about? Barely make the text? Higher res will make the text much more crisp and less strenuous on the eyes. Higher resolution also gives your screen much more real-estate to work with.

360x480 wont prevent you from doing anything, but that is also the typical BB user response along the lines of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". And that mindset belongs in the 1800s.
    Most of us aren't willing to sacrifice our battery life for a higher resolution screen.

Some people are.. It would be nice if RIM made a phone for those people as well.
    08-07-10 01:44 PM
130 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD