looking at the new video im overall impressed with many functions of the device including the media player and the interface, however my concerns stem from the fact that the browser look absolutely awful, the pinch to touch didn't work, the youtube quality was pretty bad, and the phone crashed when trying to go to crackberry

anybody else kind of dissapointed? it looks like this phone could have really used a 1 ghz processor and im dieing to know how big the screen is
    Last edited by robertrulez; 05-25-10 at 09:31 PM.
    05-25-10 09:29 PM
    Nope. Won't know for sure until I have it in my hands.
    05-25-10 10:27 PM
    The phone was running 6.0.0.23, as the stills taken by the same guy show. I would think/hope things would improve as new versions are released.

Edit: actually, I'm not sure the stills were taken by the video guy with the Fu Manchu nails, so who knows what was version was running on the video. But as CX said in the other thread, it was far from the latest firmware, so I wouldn't even think twice about it.
    Last edited by JasW; 05-26-10 at 07:06 AM.
    05-26-10 06:29 AM
    Nope not concerned....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-10 06:51 AM
    Did you try any of the first 5.0 builds? They were a disaster.

As you are "not a Blackberry user" i guess you haven't tried any of the early 5.0 builds...
    05-26-10 07:55 AM
    Did you try any of the first 5.0 builds? They were a disaster.

As you are "not a Blackberry user" i guess you haven't tried any of the early 5.0 builds...
    Yes and we are talking MUCH more mature 5.0 "early" builds too. This guy has an ancient 6.0 build. Design of phone, and considering the earliness of the software I'm actually REALLY liking this phone and seriously considering leaving big red, BUT the cost may be prohibitive.
    05-26-10 08:38 AM
    Not concerned. The guy looked like he had never handled a touch screen phone of any type in that video.
    05-26-10 08:54 AM
    I will be concerned if it acts that way when its released....
    05-26-10 09:21 AM
    Actually it seems he was pinch and zooming while website was still loading, NO phone is responsive during those initial seconds. Also, if it aint that, should be easy to fix that lag, wasn't to bad and too premature to think it would actually be released like that.

05-26-10 09:58 AM
    Not concerned. The guy looked like he had never handled a touch screen phone of any type in that video.
    I'll second this idea. There were times in the video where I was expecting him to start screeching and throwing his feces around the room.
    05-26-10 11:43 AM
    But would it hurt to have a 1 ghz processor? Seriously.

Anyway, I'm sure those little quirps will be worked out by the time it hits stores.

05-26-10 12:22 PM
    But would it hurt to have a 1 ghz processor? Seriously.
    problably. RIM has to ensure hat the bigger batteries won't have a tendency to explode, yet no way would they shove in a really crappy battery.
    You do remember that, do you? when all of those laptop batteries exploding and at leas one burned down a building was in the news a few years back?
    Link
    Last edited by grahamf; 05-26-10 at 12:40 PM.
    05-26-10 12:29 PM
    But has this happened with one of these new high-end smartphones?

Many HTC/Android devices have a 1 ghz Snap dragon processor, no reports of exploding batteries.

05-26-10 01:30 PM
    And what is the battery life if you use it as intended, with no features scaled down?

05-26-10 02:35 PM
    ^^Probably be the same as those other devices with the snap dragon processor.

My thing is, why have the phone lag at all when there is alternatives? Just to have a *tad* more battery life? Let's be real here, this device is going to have a nice size screen(battery drainer), hopefully some enhanced media features (battery drainer), and maybe a processor that is just good enough to handle all of the phones features....but with lag(that's going to drain the battery just as much). I rather have no lag, at all. I just would like to have a BlackBerry that does measure up to the other high-end devices out there. No need to half-step here.

RIM has the opportunity to actually make the perfect smartphone, IMO, with the 9800. I hope they don't squander this chance by being conservative. Go all the way, or don't go at all... is my motto.

05-26-10 03:10 PM
    Snapdragon has better power management than the Marvell PXAs we have in our 624MHz 9700s. Running snapdragon would actually increase, not decrease battery life.

If it doesn't have a snapdragon core, I'm not interested. Especially given that the dual-core Scorpion core is due out late this year - and the faster snapdragons are coming too. RIM will be looking pretty stupid with 528 and 624 devices when people are running 1.2GHz+ snapdragons.

05-26-10 03:39 PM
    Snapdragon has better power management than the Marvell PXAs we have in our 624MHz 9700s. Running snapdragon would actually increase, not decrease battery life.

If it doesn't have a snapdragon core, I'm not interested. Especially given that the dual-core Scorpion core is due out late this year - and the faster snapdragons are coming too. RIM will be looking pretty stupid with 528 and 624 devices when people are running 1.2GHz+ snapdragons.

I think you misapprehend the nature of RIM's market -- most BB users aren't really interested in phones that will compete head to head against, say, the EVO 4G (which isn't out yet and will "only" be running at 1 GHz). RIM's market consists to a very large extent of business users who would still view a 9800 running at 624 MHz as the bee's knees. You and I and others here might drool over dual core 1.5 GHz processors, but we are very much the anomaly (and distinctly tiny minority) among BB users.

I just upgraded a colleague's 9000 from 4.6 to 5.0 this morning and he's blown away.
    05-26-10 03:51 PM
    ^^More of the same "talking points".

If the lagginess continues, they may to need to drop their prehistoric ways. Either go after the consumers that they're targeting full out, or don't.

Just because their base market doesn't know about processors, etc. doesn't mean they shouldn't deck it out with a better one. Especially if it helps overall performance. Let me repeat... Especially if it helps overall performance.

That whole lag on the pitch-to-zoom would have been nonexistent if it had a 1 ghz processor. Network strength can only do so much...

Last edited by MACKSnare519; 05-26-10 at 04:28 PM.
    05-26-10 04:23 PM

If the lagginess continues, they may to need to drop their prehistoric ways. Either go after the consumers that they're targeting full out, or don't.

Just because their base market doesn't know about processors, etc. doesn't mean they shouldn't deck it out with a better one. Especially if it helps overall performance. Let me repeat... Especially if it helps overall performance.

That whole lag on the pitch-to-zoom would have been nonexistent if it had a 1 ghz processor. Network strength can only do so much...

What's the speed of the processor? I didn't think it was known yet.
    05-26-10 04:36 PM
    ^^Just was a guess. But given what we've seen from RIM, I doubt it has anything too far from the 9700, 96xx, etc.

I hope RIM surprises us.

05-26-10 04:42 PM
    I think you misapprehend the nature of RIM's market -- most BB users aren't really interested in phones that will compete head to head against, say, the EVO 4G (which isn't out yet and will "only" be running at 1 GHz). RIM's market consists to a very large extent of business users who would still view a 9800 running at 624 MHz as the bee's knees. You and I and others here might drool over dual core 1.5 GHz processors, but we are very much the anomaly (and distinctly tiny minority) among BB users.

I just upgraded a colleague's 9000 from 4.6 to 5.0 this morning and he's blown away.
    This is the thing... There are a LOT of people who are consumers using BlackBerries... don't think its just the corporate world. THOSE people want the fancy phones with browsers that aren't broken, boot times that aren't five minutes long, and some cool games to play.

But ****, just a fluid UI would be nice... I've seen my 9700 lag going from menu to menu and that's just sad.
    05-26-10 05:00 PM
    Ok I don't understand. I have friends with hd2s and they complain of lag all the time after a month of having the same OS loaded, it also has a 1 ghz processor. I think 624 is suffice. All I do is message :P browsing will be fine on this processor, it's more about the actual browser. The origina iphone had a crappier processor than the bolds 624, didn't they? Plus the apps I use are always open.

Email
    BlackBerry Messenger
    Beejive / WLM
    Browser

Everything on my bold2 loads fast. I don't know how you cans say it's slow and lags. I rarely get lag and I have about 20 apps loaded on my device.

Regardless, having 1 ghz makes it faster. But you'll still get lags. trust me.

Good day to you all
    Ps: I'm getting the 9800 as soon as it hits VF in europe.

05-27-10 05:31 AM
    Ok I don't understand. I have friends with hd2s and they complain of lag all the time after a month of having the same OS loaded
    SenseUI would almost be like throwing on a really graphic-heavy theme onto your BlackBerry.
    05-27-10 05:57 AM

I think you're assuming that geeks really into the minutiae of smartphone technology are representative of the consumer market as a whole.

They're not.

That's not to say that the 9800 shouldn't have a 1 GHz processor, just that it won't be the end of the world for RIM if it doesn't.
    05-27-10 06:12 AM
    i guess well all have to see when the phone comes out.
    05-27-10 07:05 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD