09-01-10 02:07 PM
    There is gonna be a lot of hurt feelings in this thread.

Also, where is the person who was debating with me the performance of the PXA930 chip as to being on par with the A8 @ 600mhz in the iPhone 3GS?

We actually approached Marvell wanting to talk about the PXA930 in great depth however Marvell declined all opportunities to talk about the SoC. This is slightly unusual as Marvell has been more than forthcoming in the past with its new Armada SoCs. What it most likely implies is that the PXA930 isn't much to talk about.
    09-01-10 02:18 PM
    Eh not particularly. If you get into a match omgz0rs mine is better sure, hurt feelings will abound. I just liked the fact it got into many layers of testing and it was good to see where it stands on certain fronts.

I still like my Torch, and personally prefer it. No hurt feelings here
    09-01-10 02:23 PM
    Eh not particularly. If you get into a match omgz0rs mine is better sure, hurt feelings will abound. I just liked the fact it got into many layers of testing and it was good to see where it stands on certain fronts.

I still like my Torch, and personally prefer it. No hurt feelings here
    Precisely, most people dont like their object of affection being marked as clearly inferior, but in the tests performed which touches on the hottest topics on this board, its clear where many of the 9800 faults are and he even exposes BIS as being a hindrance and slowing the device down when using 3G, and battery life, a strong point people love to chant about, is just on par with the year old 3GS but keeping up with the newest iPhone 4 and falling well below the Droid X.

As anandtech is a hardcore tech blog, its bemusing to see a ? for the GPU (we all know it doesnt have one) since he usually compares the phone completely across the spectrum in which it competes, but he usually focuses on hardware, some software, browser and general usage. I can see why Marvell was less than forthcoming about the PXA930.
    09-01-10 02:55 PM
    Well cosidering those phones are larger with considerably lesser battery life and don't have a keyboard places them in a entirely different category let's not compare toys with tools now

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-10 03:01 PM
    Since when to AC-130's carry tactical nukes?
    09-01-10 03:08 PM
    There are some that no matter what RIM releases who have a preconception that is inflexible and unrealistic. The comparison is ludicrous at best and irresponsible at worst. If the devices such as Apple and Droid and the Torch were similarly equipped, then there is no defense. A multi-tasking, business professional device cannot be fairly compared the warp-speed HD "I Want It Now" generation entertainment devices. Any serious tech review would have taken this into account. With the recent acquisitions of Torch Mobile and Cellmania as well as the partnership with AT&T, a devices that meets the needs of the business professional and the consumer with great speed, features and battery life is definitely possible. Until then, this device meets my needs and that is all that counts. I don't dwell on what could have been and moan about on forums for devices that I don't even own or have never tried. To each his own.
    09-01-10 03:09 PM
    Very interesting and what I like about the article is it's based on solid facts.
    09-01-10 03:11 PM
    There are some that no matter what RIM releases who have a preconception that is inflexible and unrealistic. The comparison is ludicrous at best and irresponsible at worst. If the devices such as Apple and Droid and the Torch were similarly equipped, then there is no defense. A multi-tasking, business professional device cannot be fairly compared the warp-speed HD "I Want It Now" generation entertainment devices. Any serious tech review would have taken this into account. With the recent acquisitions of Torch Mobile and Cellmania as well as the partnership with AT&T, a devices that meets the needs of the business professional and the consumer with great speed, features and battery life is definitely possible. Until then, this device meets my needs and that is all that counts. I don't dwell on what could have been and moan about on forums for devices that I don't even own or have never tried. To each his own.
    How can comparing mobile phones be irresponsible?

Are you suggesting the other devices are not communication devices? The 9800 is clearly designed as a consumer product first and business device second given it's design and obvious push towards social media.

I'd say comparing all top end phones is entirely relevant.
    09-01-10 03:16 PM
    Same reason there are different types of cars. Each appeals to a different type of user. I'm sure some people will use this as -> your phone sucks. As a Torch owner I found it interesting to see where it stands in performance, and strengths and weaknesses, which I find interesting and nothing more. (I own the device and am happy with it).

But since people like to cherry pick to their own arguments. The hardware is definitely not next gen, but I was pleased to see comments such as:

"The Torch�s screen is one of the most readable outside that I�ve encountered in a while, with text and webpages being easy to make out even in intense daylight. Alongside the iPhone 4, the difference is pretty immediate, especially in how good white appears on the Torch compared to the iPhone 4."

"The touchscreen interaction on the Torch is actually top notch and responsive. I�ll get into browsing in a bit, but I found that multitouch gestures like pinch to zoom and flicking work and are recognized just like they should be. Part of making touch work is keeping the UI speedy and completely responsive, so that gestures and interaction take place fast enough to be believable. Luckily the Torch touchscreen always tracks properly and feels responsive. "
    09-01-10 03:18 PM
    Well cosidering those phones are larger with considerably lesser battery life and don't have a keyboard places them in a entirely different category let's not compare toys with tools now

Obviously someone didnt bother reading, as the Torch has worse battery life than those "toy phones". You are aware you can do just as much work on those "toy phones" right?

Since when to AC-130's carry tactical nukes?
    Since Modern Warfare 2 and its a separate kill streak, i just happen to get a nuke 95% of the time i get an AC-130.

There are some that no matter what RIM releases who have a preconception that is inflexible and unrealistic. The comparison is ludicrous at best and irresponsible at worst. If the devices such as Apple and Droid and the Torch were similarly equipped, then there is no defense. A multi-tasking, business professional device cannot be fairly compared the warp-speed HD "I Want It Now" generation entertainment devices. Any serious tech review would have taken this into account. With the recent acquisitions of Torch Mobile and Cellmania as well as the partnership with AT&T, a devices that meets the needs of the business professional and the consumer with great speed, features and battery life is definitely possible. Until, this device meets my needs and that is all that counts. I don't dwell on what could have been and moan about on forums for devices that I don't even own or have never tried. To each his own.
    Actually it is fair to compare these devices. The only "professional device" RIM makes are ones without a camera on the back. RIMs growth is over 80% BIS subs EVERY QUARTER and the number to BES to BIS users keeps dropping dramatically.

Fact is no "business professional device" will sustain RIM. This phone is being bought by consumers. RIM knows this. They are trying to make a device to appease consumers, and adding features consumers have been wanting a long time now. Remember these images?

These arent images of a company selling a phone to IT i can tell you that. They are trying to speak directly to the consumer with this phone and OS 6.

For some reason the people on CrackBerry refuse to accept that a BlackBerry can no longer be a work only device (thats what BES is for, the ultimate secure work phone...if you arent on BES/X your phone is no better at being a work phone than an iPhone is), or else the platform will die and rot when unsatisfied users leave (you only need to look at this board to see how many Android/iPhone converts there are...we used to be BlackBerry users too,)

Android and the iPhone are showing that they are making inroads because these are lifestyle devices, devices that do anything you ask of it, be it a gaming platform, media hub, web surfing machine, camera, gps, messaging monster, or work device thats just as great as a blackberry. Is it coincidence that Windows Phone 7 is taking THE EXACT SAME APPROACH? I think not.
    09-01-10 04:03 PM
    Comparisons by trolls are only fair when they have the advantage. My point was that some reviewers will never change their opinions just like the trolls, who don't own a blackberry, post on a blackberry site will never change their views. My other point was that opposing viewpoints are great and valid points were raised but that is getting boring having the same issues beaten to death over and over. At least, some BB owners have the common courtesy not to disparage opposing views and don't post on other device forums, at least without actually trying them. Opposing viewpoints that promote common understanding and promote goodwill are totally welcome.
    09-01-10 04:30 PM
    I noticed that the torch has shortcuts for the keyboard while your using the browser just like my old 9700. I thought they left that feature out but you have to enable it in the browser menu.
    Last edited by billyblonco; 09-01-10 at 04:41 PM.
    09-01-10 04:39 PM
    I thought the Anandtech review was very unbiased, comprehensive, and accurate.

It illustrates both the positives and negatives of the phone without stretching either side to make any silly points or play favorites to any platform.

Does the phone work fine for those who own it? Of course. Citing positives nor flaws will change that and shouldn't.

It's nice to just read a fair review based in fact with comparisons that matter. I long enjoyed anandtechs reviews in video cards and processors for my computer building needs.

I hope RIM learns alot from this device with all the good points and the bad ones, and continues to progress in the consumer market. I will certainly be keeping my eye on RIM so when my next purchase comes up (June/2011) I'll have all the information I need and make the best purchase for me.
    09-01-10 04:49 PM

Since Modern Warfare 2 and its a separate kill streak, i just happen to get a nuke 95% of the time i get an AC-130.

Oh, I see, we are dealing with reality here. No wonder your opinions are so out in left field....
    09-01-10 05:16 PM
    Just a lot of Pedantic Arrogant Immature Nonsense for us to deal with.
    09-01-10 06:23 PM
    Just a lot of Pedantic Arrogant Immature Nonsense for us to deal with.
    Who is that aimed at? I can only presume DevilD.

DevilD has truly added some of the most interesting and relevant content to recent threads.

He's very knowledgable on the subject and always offers a well balanced and formed opinion.
    09-01-10 06:32 PM
    I'm really glad to see these guys do a review on this product and have been hoping for a while now. There's no way I can trust reviews from places like Engadget without them putting to much opinion towards a product. I'm not saying there isn't room for it but it can get ridiculous at times.

whether it's good or bad on the product itself, Anandtech reviews are top-notch!
    09-01-10 06:43 PM
    Look what happens when you assume...I was referring to trolls who find it incomprehensible that there are mindless drones to whom they feel it is their moral intellectual obligation to lecture to and disparage their choice to buy a RIM device. They feel free to post on device forums for devices that they do not own thinking that if they post enough that others will come around. These people are horrified at the notion that people can think for themselves and don't enjoy their contributions. They claim to be progressive and open-minded but they are the most intolerant when they realize no cares about their rantings.

On the other hand, there are very knowledgeable and helpful non and former BB owners who offer opinions that encourage thoughtful discussion and the exchange of ideas. I have no issue with these individuals. However, the vast majority are nothing more than TROLLS who enjoy bullying and tormenting others.
    Last edited by jcp007; 09-01-10 at 06:47 PM.
    09-01-10 06:43 PM
    That was a pretty good review.

09-01-10 06:49 PM
    This is the best review that I have read. Some are too glowing. Some just trash the phone.

Overall, it seems that he really likes it.
    09-02-10 01:21 PM
    Are you suggesting the other devices are not communication devices? The 9800 is clearly designed as a consumer product first and business device second given it's design and obvious push towards social media.
    I see it the other way around.

Businesses are using social apps like myface and twitbook more and more now to market their products and connect with clients. A business device should not lack these features or put them on the back burner.

Many business users also use BBM. Security is also still a core functionality (until Canada and the US take on the UAE's position.)

As for the product's design being aimed more at the non-business user - The BB keyboard is considered by many to be first rate for people who do lots of typing, like businessmen. The slide out design means it doesn't give up that business functionality while still providing a much larger screen.

The iPhone is a consumer device that also has a place in business use. The Torch is a business device that has an equally appropriate place in consumer use.
    09-02-10 05:27 PM
    I have to disagree. RIM confirmed in their last earnings report that the consumer accounts for 80% of their sales. This is most certainly a consumer first device that's designed to try and not alienate business.

Businesses are using social apps like myface and twitbook more and more now to market their products and connect with clients. A business device should not lack these features or put them on the back burner.

Many business users also use BBM. Security is also still a core functionality (until Canada and the US take on the UAE's position.)

As for the product's design being aimed more at the non-business user - The BB keyboard is considered by many to be first rate for people who do lots of typing, like businessmen. The slide out design means it doesn't give up that business functionality while still providing a much larger screen.

The iPhone is a consumer device that also has a place in business use. The Torch is a business device that has an equally appropriate place in consumer use.
    09-02-10 05:34 PM
    Wait a minute, a 'business device' that lets you play music, videos, and stay connected to friends and family while traveling too? No friggin way, dude.......
    09-02-10 05:39 PM

I think most of that is fair.

I do however work in the industry and see very little BBM action (usually disabled via BES policy) and no social feed acceptance since most users can waste the day checking for the latest and most useless tweets/fb updates etc.

I think we should however, create some distance between OS6 and the Torch as the torch is just one device that happens to run the new OS so I think it's prudent to judge the device on it's own merits first and the OS secondly.

Clearly though this device is aimed to appeal firstly to the consumer but also be able to be acceptable to business users too in the same way as the Storm and Pearl.

I think the keyboard on the 9800 is fine even if it does feel a bit flimsy sometimes. Just on keyboards alone though it goes 9000 - 9700 - 9800 which I'd say is pretty good.

If there's one thing I've always loved about BB's it's the bloody excellent keyboards.
    09-02-10 05:40 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD