My Torch came with a MicroUSB cord. It works fine. But I can't be bothered carrying it around with me EVERYWHERE i go. I happened to have another MicroUSB cord lying around (don't know from where. haha)....BUT....

...when I plug in the OTHER MicroUSB..... it somehow only charges and doesn't recognise that there's a data device. Are some MicroUSBs made for electrical current only and no data transfer?

(SO wish that they would've just kept with the MiniUSB...I had like half a dozen of those cords around....Bold9000...PS3 controllers....cameras...*sigh*)...

~LB
    11-19-10 01:23 PM
    Micro USB is going to be the new industry norm. All phones will have it soon so that we don't have to buy all new accessories every time we buy a new phone.
    One Micro USB cord should be as good as another, although if the one you had was made for a BT headset then it might carry lower voltage than the phone needs. Just a guess there, though.
    LaughingBandit likes this.
    11-19-10 01:30 PM
    Buy yourself a few of these Amazon.com: OEM Motorola MicroUSB USB EMU MU Adapter for RAZR2 V8 V9 V9m Q9h model SKN6252: Cell Phones & Accessories there's so many others available around the internet too.

But as was mentioned you could have a cord that doesn't do data transfer...
    11-19-10 01:54 PM
    I hear ya, this is my first microUSB device, only have one micro cable and a ton of miniUSB cables. The cable they provide w/ the phone is a thick bulky, yet somehow cheaply made POS (loose small end).

Wonder if they make an adapter. Its still 5 pin usb, same pin layout afaik, just different plug size. Ill have to look around, or maybe ill just make one

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-10 05:30 PM
    i find that longer cables struggle to carry as much power. The very short one that came with my torch works in everything, but my longer one will not power my hard drive and on some computers, won't charge the phone
    11-19-10 05:59 PM
    My Torch came with a MicroUSB cord. It works fine. But I can't be bothered carrying it around with me EVERYWHERE i go. I happened to have another MicroUSB cord lying around (don't know from where. haha)....BUT....

...when I plug in the OTHER MicroUSB..... it somehow only charges and doesn't recognise that there's a data device. Are some MicroUSBs made for electrical current only and no data transfer?

(SO wish that they would've just kept with the MiniUSB...I had like half a dozen of those cords around....Bold9000...PS3 controllers....cameras...*sigh*)...

~LB
    Yes , there r some cables which can only be used for charging, as they've got only 2 wires inside for power and no additional wires for data transfer.
    (They come with some cheap stuff like usb powered LED lamps )
    11-19-10 06:15 PM
    i find that longer cables struggle to carry as much power. The very short one that came with my torch works in everything, but my longer one will not power my hard drive and on some computers, won't charge the phone
    I found this to be true with external hard drives also. very small gauge wire carrying current is affected by the length of the cable conductor resistance. You may have the voltage but not able to carry the current.

So, in this case short is good long is not...HA.... ahem never mind.....lol...
    11-19-10 07:26 PM
    This is a good article explaining why the USB cables are designed the way they are. It explains the specifications.
    11-19-10 07:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD