So when I got my Torch for Christmas, I noticed the top (touch) screen seemed to wiggle a little bit. I didn't think it'd bother me but it has become worse. Also, the end button seems to pull up a little bit when I click it and I saw on a forum that sometimes it could come off.

I can return my Torch at Best Buy and want to get another Torch because I really like this phone. I'm just worried that I'll get another Torch with a wiggly screen or other issues. Also, I'm worried about losing data. I backed up my 9700 and restored it on my Torch but not everything transferred. The only way I was able to get everything over was by doing the "switch devices" option but I'm afraid I won't be able to do this since I have to return this one to get a new one. Maybe I'm doing this part wrong.

But I'm just looking at advice when I go into Best Buy. Can I play with other phones to make sure I get a good one? Has anyone turned a bad Torch in and gotten a good one back?

Thanks in advance
    01-07-11 04:40 PM
    Is your Torch a Mexico 4 build? Says on the side of the box.

Also I usually just do a backup on DM and then just restore it on the new device. Since you will be going from 9800 to 9800 all files would transfer over, apps need to be backed up as well.

I would try to get a Mexico 5 build if possible since most have reported those unity to be solid. Also my experience with Hungary builds have all been solid

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-11 05:22 PM
    Get a plastic cover/case for the phone and it won't wiggle anymore... I got a clear case from amazon and 1.95 w/ free shipping. I've never had an issue with backing and restoring on this phone... I've restored info from an old ipd file I found on my pc and it restored that info with no problem... Do a clean uninstall and reinstall of DTM and you should have no problem.. Good luck!
    01-07-11 05:25 PM
    FYI - I have a Mexico 5 build and it's fairly solid. My screen wiggles a bit, but this is bound to happen with any slider device. No issues with any of the buttons here.

01-07-11 06:28 PM
    I also have a mexico 5. No key issues. Slight screen wiggle when closed and pushed on bottom left. But not enough to bother me. I would do a swap if u can...but beware that most have some sort of wiggle eventually. Just have to get one that you'd be most tollerant with.

01-07-11 07:12 PM
    I also have a mexico 5. No key issues. Slight screen wiggle when closed and pushed on bottom left. But not enough to bother me. I would do a swap if u can...but beware that most have some sort of wiggle eventually. Just have to get one that you'd be most tollerant with.

I have a Mexico 4 for less than 2 months. The wiggle is now becoming more noticeable but I understand what you're saying, how all torches will eventually wiggle from sliding up and down throughout its life time. I'd like to get it fixed since my warranty is still valid or ask for a replacement. My question is how easily is it to convince the sales rep. about the problem? It's not much of a problem but it's nice to have a studier build because I'll be living with this for the next 3 years.
    02-10-11 12:17 AM
    I have the Black Tie protection as well (I am assuming that's how you are returning the device) and I have swapped out my BlackBerrys at least 10 times in the past year with them. Each time I go in they are really nice and cooperative. They told me that they will only exchange the device if the problem is preventing the device from working properly so you might have a chance by telling them about the screen wobble.

I tried to return one of my 9700's because of a wobbly track pad and they laughed at me like I didn't know what I was talking about before telling me that ALL 9700's suffer from that problem and that's how they are supposed to be... Needless to say I pulled out my other 9700 to prove them wrong and let me tell you, watching the rep get yelled at by the manager while he opened my new 9700 was priceless. They even through in a free case...

02-10-11 01:35 AM
    So when I got my Torch for Christmas, I noticed the top (touch) screen seemed to wiggle a little bit. I didn't think it'd bother me but it has become worse. Also, the end button seems to pull up a little bit when I click it and I saw on a forum that sometimes it could come off.

I can return my Torch at Best Buy and want to get another Torch because I really like this phone. I'm just worried that I'll get another Torch with a wiggly screen or other issues. Also, I'm worried about losing data. I backed up my 9700 and restored it on my Torch but not everything transferred. The only way I was able to get everything over was by doing the "switch devices" option but I'm afraid I won't be able to do this since I have to return this one to get a new one. Maybe I'm doing this part wrong.

But I'm just looking at advice when I go into Best Buy. Can I play with other phones to make sure I get a good one? Has anyone turned a bad Torch in and gotten a good one back?

Thanks in advance
    first off, what carrier do you have? thats vital information that we need to know in order to help you better.

i have at&t and my original Torch start to suffer from crappy battery drain and a messed up trackpad. since the phone is under warranty, i had two options....

1.) call at&t and explain the build issues. they will send you a replacement device (refurb, but usually tip top due to high QC). once you have the new phone, do the device switch wizard, wipe your old phone and mail back to at&t.

2.) (this is what i chose to do) check for a nearby at&t device repair center. they look like a regular at&t store, but they only swap devices that are under warranty replacement. i brought my laptop in order to perform the device switch wizard right there on the spot. if not, you need to load from a backup once you get home. you then walk out with your new phone instead of having to wait for one by mail.

you can search the at&t website for a list of repair centers.
    02-10-11 02:50 AM
    Mexico 5 and agf grt case that keep the wiggle away. I really recomend this case to stop the slider feeling loose, mine feel solid with the case.

02-10-11 07:25 AM
    +1 on the AGF case!
    02-10-11 09:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD