I have metal/rust fragments in the ear speaker and dust behind the digitizer on the lcd screen. I'm a hard user, and a mechanic, so I'm used to taking phones apart to clean/fix them. Used to pull my 8330 apart with the greatest of ease, and I have all the tools required for this phone in my screwdriver set, plus the dexterity and skills to complete the task

BUT

There's a few things I'd like to ask beforehand.

1. Best way to remove blue screw seal? Was thinking heat it up a bit so it peels off in one piece instead of breaking like it was designed to ... I *will* make sure RIM won't know it was apart if I need to do a warranty exchange, heck, ill make a new blue sticker if I have to from a product label or something, but it'd be better to reuse the one that's there.

2. I read that the digitizer is held on by adhesive. Do I even need to remove it or does the top half (screen half) of the phone come apart from the back?

3. I read about other parts that are "glued" on that need to be "unstuck". What's this all about?

Looking for input from others who have done the dis/reassembly.

Thanks in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-10 08:34 PM
    The digitizer is stuck with REALLY stick adhesive to the front of the phone. You have to take it off to get any dust out. If you watch the tear down video on youtube you can see how it come off. I had a **** of a time and was terrified that I was going to break it.

I took my blue sticker of with the edge of an exacto knife and it's still in tact perfect!
    11-24-10 08:41 PM
    I tried a pin to lift the sticker but it looks like it was pressed hard onto the screw and stuck good, it wanted to tear with the pin so ill try your trick.

How about the top bezel around the screen, is it just clipped on?

I don't want to break anything, but want to familiarize myself with it so I can fix small things myself rather than doing exchanges (which I HATE ....recustomizing the phone back to how I had it before, real pain)

I downloaded the youtube vid a week ago, have yet to watch it, maybe ill do that tonite

11-24-10 08:53 PM
    Already taking apart the "torch" your a brave man sir!
    11-24-10 08:56 PM
    Already taking apart the "torch" your a brave man sir!
    Well... I'm "mentally preparing" to do so, lol. Didn't want to, but the dust behind the screen is pissing me off, and I won't do a warranty exchange for dust ... Hey gotta learn the phone inside and out at some point, right? (Hmm or maybe that's just me ....)

11-24-10 09:00 PM
    Check Youtube for repairs on you phone
    11-24-10 09:11 PM
    The bezel around the screen is the hardest part to get off. If you are just getting the dust out, you won't need to. You dont' even have to take it apart. Just gently pry the digitizer up from the casing and you will have access to blow the screen and speaker out, without removing the digitizer.

I have swapped all the parts to white (including the keyboard), except the bezel around the screen! Simply, because I was scare to pry the lcd out. It did not want to come out, so I just left it!
    11-24-10 10:23 PM
    The bezel around the screen is the hardest part to get off. If you are just getting the dust out, you won't need to. You dont' even have to take it apart. Just gently pry the digitizer up from the casing and you will have access to blow the screen and speaker out, without removing the digitizer.

I have swapped all the parts to white (including the keyboard), except the bezel around the screen! Simply, because I was scare to pry the lcd out. It did not want to come out, so I just left it!
    Thanks for all your input so far!

I'm assuming the digitizer adhesive is reusable at least once or twice?

I watched the youtube vid, doesn't really look all that bad. The only things I'm worried about are the prying up of the digitizer and the possible short length of the flex cable from phone to digitizer.

Ehhh....well....I guess ill see what I decide to do here, ill let ya know how it goes...might do it tomorrow

11-24-10 10:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD