I'd recommend this hybrid, personally over 706, but you'll have to experiment to find the best radio for you. Really makes the phone run sweet. Coming soon wu-wei will have at least one of his famous themes for the Torch as well. I use leebo on my Bold, and love it.

Check out TalkLock in App World. Nice way to lock the screen when you get a call, and not have your ear change settings as you talk.

Beyond that, I can't offer you anything but to play, have fun and enjoy it!

Hopefully some other Torch owners can steer you to more.
    01-21-12 12:46 PM
    The 9800 is an excellent device and the 9810 is another excellent device.
    01-21-12 12:57 PM
    Click to view quoted image

Get over it already. I have one sitting right next to me. The owner loves it, I use it myself regulary, and it's a damn nice phone.
    I agree. Unless one is a newbie to RIM and upgrading procedures(long before the Torch came out), then this should not be used as a pulpit to state the obvious......again. As stated GTFO and give advice as requested.

OP. There are a lot of satisfied 9800 owners that upgraded. Start with the 9800 forums. If you need some apps or themes, PM me and I'll send you some links later. Advice- bypass negative ppl that feel the need to make a point of issues that were discussed on threads...last year. Anyway, out with fam right now, PM me and I'll hook you up later. Wulf will vouch for me.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 01-21-12 at 02:30 PM.
    lotuslanderz and BigBadWulf like this.
    01-21-12 01:59 PM
    i would buy anything but the 9800 i have had mine for a little over a year and its a pile of junk.
    01-23-12 02:29 PM
    i would buy anything but the 9800 i have had mine for a little over a year and its a pile of junk.
    Always interesting to see someone join, have problems, and not ask for help in resolving them. If you could please make a thread, listing the issues, it's possible they could be resolved, and your opinion turned around.

Pst - the OP already purchased a 9800 folks. No sense in continuing to tell them how bad it is.
    Altarocks likes this.
    01-23-12 02:54 PM
    I love my 9800, I personally think its the best phone ever. In the past I have had a 9000, 9700 and also a Nexus S. My 9800 pairs to my Playbook without a problem which is awesome too.

But if you can, grab a 9810 instead because they are faster and have a newer OS. I am due for an upgrade next month and will be going for an 9810.
    01-23-12 03:38 PM
    I love my 9800, I personally think its the best phone ever. In the past I have had a 9000, 9700 and also a Nexus S. My 9800 pairs to my Playbook without a problem which is awesome too.

But if you can, grab a 9810 instead because they are faster and have a newer OS. I am due for an upgrade next month and will be going for an 9810.
    i agree with you he 9810 is much better and what the original torch should have been.

@ mr "big" "bad" "wolfie" back in 2010 i almost got myself he 9800 as a replacement to my 9700 but after playing with it for 2 hours at an att store i deemed said phone useless and a waste of money. it offered NO upgrades to the 9700. the same goes for the 9780.
    01-23-12 10:38 PM
    I agree. Unless one is a newbie to RIM and upgrading procedures(long before the Torch came out), then this should not be used as a pulpit to state the obvious......again. As stated GTFO and give advice as requested.

OP. There are a lot of satisfied 9800 owners that upgraded. Start with the 9800 forums. If you need some apps or themes, PM me and I'll send you some links later. Advice- bypass negative ppl that feel the need to make a point of issues that were discussed on threads...last year. Anyway, out with fam right now, PM me and I'll hook you up later. Wulf will vouch for me.
    Thanks Blacklatino, sent you a PM.

I have had my 9800 for a couple of days now and for my needs its working perfectly, I can bridge to my Playbook which is a big plus. The nice thing is I have not explored all the possibilities yet.
    Last edited by Enth; 01-24-12 at 06:41 AM.
    01-24-12 06:39 AM
    Thanks Blacklatino, sent you a PM.

I have had my 9800 for a couple of days now and for my needs its working perfectly, I can bridge to my Playbook which is a big plus. The nice thing is I have not explored all the possibilities yet.
    Excellent Enth! Always fun exploring a new toy.

i agree with you he 9810 is much better and what the original torch should have been.

@ mr "big" "bad" "wolfie" back in 2010 i almost got myself he 9800 as a replacement to my 9700 but after playing with it for 2 hours at an att store i deemed said phone useless and a waste of money. it offered NO upgrades to the 9700. the same goes for the 9780.
    Odd perspective, and not much time to judge. I owned a 9700 for over a year, and spent a lot of time on a 9800. Just looking at the two side-by-side, the differences are obvious. Internally, there's twice the RAM/ROM, along with the 4Gb of internal memory. Maybe touchscreens just aren't for you. The 9780 was never offered by at&t.
    01-24-12 07:02 AM
    Excellent Enth! Always fun exploring a new toy.

Odd perspective, and not much time to judge. I owned a 9700 for over a year, and spent a lot of time on a 9800. Just looking at the two side-by-side, the differences are obvious. Internally, there's twice the RAM/ROM, along with the 4Gb of internal memory. Maybe touchscreens just aren't for you. The 9780 was never offered by at&t.

You are right about the torch having SOME technical superiority over the 9700. Howwver, the 'execution' (realizing this phone) was soo poor that made it effectively worthless and unworthy of an upgrade.

So any users wanting the 9800 skip this phone and get the 9810. If you insist on this grabage then pay no more than $100.

The 9780 falls into the same category of worthless upgrade regardless of wireless carrier.
    01-24-12 07:24 AM
    You are right about the torch having SOME technical superiority over the 9700. Howwver, the 'execution' (realizing this phone) was soo poor that made it effectively worthless and unworthy of an upgrade.

So any users wanting the 9800 skip this phone and get the 9810. If you insist on this grabage then pay no more than $100.

The 9780 falls into the same category of worthless upgrade regardless of wireless carrier.
    Why would you call it garbage? Many people love the phone, it works for them. If you don't like it, that's fine. But to bash a device that is very popular, is not cool.
    I just recently got my new 9810 after having a Bold 9650 which I loved. But I'm also enjoying this one just as much.
    01-24-12 07:39 AM
    Get the 9800 if its $150 or less.
    abstain from this terrible device. if you really want to have it then pay no more than $100 (that is without giving 2 years of your life to the phone company).

other than that get the iphone 4s or galaxy nexus.
    I disagree with you. This is a device that should have never seen the light of day. The 9810 should have been the original torch.

Why would you call it garbage? Many people love the phone, it works for them. If you don't like it, that's fine. But to bash a device that is very popular, is not cool.
    You can't combat ignorance with common sense.
    01-24-12 08:19 AM
    It has always been interesting and curious to me how the Torch 9800 generates such strong and opposite feelings. I love it, have been using it for more than a year now.

I tried the 9900 but then sold it on craigslist because I decided the 9810 is going to be my next phone. The girl I sold it to looked at me like I have lost my mind: "What? You are selling the 9900 and keeping the Torch??"

It ultimately comes down to personal preference. My advice: don't let others persuade you from trying this phone. Yeah, the 9810 is naturally better. A friend got one on sale from AT&T for $50 couple of weeks back FYI, not sure if this is useful to you but I thought I'd pass this on.

But if you can scoop up a decent 9800 for cheap, why not?
    01-24-12 12:28 PM
    It has always been interesting and curious to me how the Torch 9800 generates such strong and opposite feelings. I love it, have been using it for more than a year now.

I tried the 9900 but then sold it on craigslist because I decided the 9810 is going to be my next phone. The girl I sold it to looked at me like I have lost my mind: "What? You are selling the 9900 and keeping the Torch??"

It ultimately comes down to personal preference. My advice: don't let others persuade you from trying this phone. Yeah, the 9810 is naturally better. A friend got one on sale from AT&T for $50 couple of weeks back FYI, not sure if this is useful to you but I thought I'd pass this on.

But if you can scoop up a decent 9800 for cheap, why not?
    you did lose your mind by selling your 9900.

but since your reason is that you replaced it with a 9810 then pat yourself on the back. you made a great choice.

but a 9800 for $50 is hard to pass.
    01-24-12 06:59 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD