I suspect a battery problem with my Torch but was wondering if anyone experienced the same thing (noticed some people on the Tour also having a similar issue).

What happens is that during use, sometimes the battery will heat up to 40C upon which

a) you can't charge the phone
    b) the temperature takes a very long while to go down (like even after half an hour).

I notice it also sometimes hovering at 37C without going down (I'm using a BatteryWatch program to monitor this).

The cpu usage is low and there aren't any random processes.
    I'm using 6.0.0.337 OS. Wifi/bluetooth is off.

Another friend of mine is having a similar problem and a google search shows that i'm not alone. Is my Torch defective?
    11-17-10 11:42 AM
    you can hold the phone with the back off up against the vehicle a/c and it will cool quicker, so it can charge.
    11-18-10 12:16 AM
    I'm using a BatteryWatch program to monitor this
    The program you are using could very well be the source of the problem. I would suggest removing the app and seeing if things improve.
    11-18-10 12:23 AM
    you can hold the phone with the back off up against the vehicle a/c and it will cool quicker, so it can charge.
    Really??? You shouldn't have to this with any phone to get it to charge.
    11-18-10 12:25 AM
    If your phone is already fully charge then unplug the charger and let it sit for 15 minutes.

If it gets hot during charging, remove the back cover and leave it charged with screen facing down. Sometimes the initial charge is what makes the phone hot if you recently purchase your phone.
    11-18-10 03:29 AM
    I have the same problem but only when charging and using the phone for some heavy stuff (calls or bbm, browsing, music at the same time, etc). But mine cools off after a few minutes and resumes charging. You need to unplug the charger and let it cool off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-10 06:21 AM
    Use mine on the charger all the time. No "hot" issues at all. Others that have had the same problem had their batteries/handset's replaced and have no problems since. It's either a defective battery or a defective device.
    lssanjose likes this.
    11-18-10 06:26 AM
    when i first got the torch i had the same problem. i'll have the charger plugged in, but the icon of the phone charging would not show as if it was being charged. it happened several times so i went to att and exchanged the phone. And with the current phone that i have now, it also occurs. but always tends to charge after all
    11-20-10 09:53 AM
    Thanks for the reply guys though seriously...this SHOULDN'T be a problem and trying to 'cool it' doesn't quite solve the problem. In fact, I'm wondering if having such a high temp battery would shorten the life of the device (saw some reports of theirs overheating till it died).

3rd party program isn't causing it cause I installed it because it was overheating and refusing to charge.

I've used many Blackberries in the past so can't see why this should be a problem with this. All i'm trying to find out is : is this a manufacturing defect? Is this a battery problem? Is this something that others have found out too and how have they solved it?

am trying out erroll021's suggestion but swapping out the battery first.
    11-22-10 10:53 AM
    If the heat is transferring to the components on the BB main board it can drastically shorten life. I would try to get it fixed or replaced. My first Torch had a similar issue and got it replaced for a new one.
    Last edited by aznlgcy; 11-22-10 at 01:25 PM.
    11-22-10 01:21 PM
    im having the same issue with my phone...when i plug it in...the device registers by the clock popping up...but it still wont charge the device
    12-03-10 03:06 PM
    Sounds like a defective battery. Go back to where ever you bought the phone from and tell them about this and that you need a replacement battery. If you are outside the store warranty, then the battery will need to be sent from RIM instead.

12-03-10 03:31 PM
    I had the same problem while using the USB cord & adapter that came with my Torch, but once I switched to the charger that came with my 8900, I've had no issues. It charges without overheating & pausing in the charge when the phone is too hot
    07-09-11 10:29 PM
    I was having problems using Tune-In Radio with Bluetooth while using the car charger and the phone getting hot. I just moved the phone holde to infront of an AC vent and all is fine now.
    07-30-11 06:49 AM
    I have been having similar issues with my Torch.

When plugged in, it'll show the indicator that it is indeed connected, however the charging indicators doesn't always show which means it isn't charging. I've noticed more recently that it hardly ever charges while I'm on a call.

Also, I have had my Torch since September of last year, and it has always gotten hot during a call. Not to where its unbarable, but enough to notice.

Also, it seems the only charger that works 100% of the time for me is a generic car charger... Smh

I hope these issues are completely eradicated on the Torch 2. But at this point I am leaning towards getting the 9900 when it finally drops.

07-30-11 12:01 PM
    USED TO LOVE my torch but since having it a few months i've realized that i much prefered the bold form factor.
    i'm moving back to the 9780 guys.
    07-30-11 12:33 PM
    I had a lot of problem charging my phone with the official usb cable, and I tried like 3-4 of them, maybe it was a coinsidence but since I won the powercell, it came with a shorter cable and now I have no problem charging my phone at all.

I also found an old charger that was helping me when I wanted to charge my phone.

like you my battery was getting hot and it still do sometime if I run gps and video at the same time, but never had problem using that short cable.

USED TO LOVE my torch but since having it a few months i've realized that i much prefered the bold form factor.
    i'm moving back to the 9780 guys.
    nice thread hijack ! ;p
    Last edited by AcADIeN; 07-30-11 at 12:59 PM.
    07-30-11 12:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD