Hi, all.

My 9800 from 11/2010 just died last night. My laminated gym pass (thinner than a credit card) somehow managed to get jammed up between the screen and the keyboard while it was in my pocket, and I think the ribbon cable became severed and/or disconnected somehow. Literally one minute I'm checking the time, the next when I go to text the screen won't turn on and I'm in the red LED reboot loop hello. Then, to make matters worse, after hours of troubleshooting everything, a slip of the hand resulted in a torn ribbon cable elsewhere. LED won't even go on now.

I was due for an AT&T (USA) upgrade end of November, but I was hoping to hold out for BB10. I really don't want to leave BB, but I need a new phone NOW (my old 9000 won't cut it for more than a week), and don't see the point in buying an outdated, outgoing phone model a month or two before the new ones come out.

Please advise how I should proceed. Thanks.
    01-28-13 05:25 AM
    If you really want to stay with blackberry, try to find someone to loan you a phone for a couple of weeks. I expect you should be able to get a bb10, only problem is full price.
    01-28-13 05:45 AM
    I don't know where you live, in a rural or urban area, but you can always get your phone fixed. Sometimes it does a led reboot loop because some internal connections aren't there so there is a chance that if you replace the slide ribbon that it will return to original function. Unfortunately replacing the slide ribbon is an extensive job requiring disassembly of the digitizer so it may not be cheap. If you feel up to the challenge then you can do it yourself with youtube videos and past threads on crackberry as your guide. If you do live in an urban setting then phone around to repair stores and get a competitive price and maybe you'll come across a good deal. If none of these options are for you then using a 9000 may not be the end of the world. Best of luck to you.
    01-28-13 05:52 AM
    I've recently purchased a couple used blackberrys off craigslist and kijiji. People are always selling devices, and even if you get a new one soon, its always good to have a back up. Try and find a reasonably priced one, still under warranty, they are out there.
    01-28-13 06:18 AM
    I don't know where you live, in a rural or urban area, but you can always get your phone fixed. Sometimes it does a led reboot loop because some internal connections aren't there so there is a chance that if you replace the slide ribbon that it will return to original function. Unfortunately replacing the slide ribbon is an extensive job requiring disassembly of the digitizer so it may not be cheap. If you feel up to the challenge then you can do it yourself with youtube videos and past threads on crackberry as your guide. If you do live in an urban setting then phone around to repair stores and get a competitive price and maybe you'll come across a good deal. If none of these options are for you then using a 9000 may not be the end of the world. Best of luck to you.
    Yeah...that's how the second ribbon connector became torn.
    01-28-13 01:07 PM