Hi everyone,

I'm living in Dubai and have been tracking the 9800 for quite a while now. Still stuck with a corporate 8310 and have decided the 9800 is one worth spending my own money on. Anyway i understand the phone will be locked with specific American carriers (looks like AT&T) for the first few months and as it usually takes forever for phones to make it here with our carriers, i was wondering if someone could tell me what the safest and fastest way to get an unlocked unit would be (once it's released there of course).
    07-28-10 07:11 AM
    They will be available unlocked soon after they are released but the price will be high at first. Just 'Google' unlocked BB 9800 after release and pick a reputable site to order from.
    I was hoping my Bold 9000 would last until the 9800 came out but it failed on me and I ordered an unlocked 9700 from Amazon that will be my stop gap until I can get the 9800.
    07-28-10 07:25 AM
    Thanks andyahs. I hope "soon" translates into less than a month because i'm well past tired of the ancient 8310 i have now.
    07-28-10 07:47 AM
    Thanks andyahs. I hope "soon" translates into less than a month because i'm well past tired of the ancient 8310 i have now.
    You should be able to score one right away....search the internet!
    07-28-10 08:24 AM
    Less than a week after the iPhone 4 was released you could get an unlocked one for $1,995.00
    07-28-10 08:34 AM
    Less than a week after the iPhone 4 was released you could get an unlocked one for $1,995.00
    Oh wow. I guess i'll have to dig a deeper hole in my backyard
    I don't really know how the system works in any case. Do you know how reliable the people selling these are? How do they get hold of an unlocked phone? Do they buy something on contract and unlock it or would AT&T be selling unlocked ones but these people overcharge by taking advantage of the low supply of unlocked phones?
    07-28-10 09:07 AM
    Oh wow. I guess i'll have to dig a deeper hole in my backyard
    I don't really know how the system works in any case. Do you know how reliable the people selling these are? How do they get hold of an unlocked phone? Do they buy something on contract and unlock it or would AT&T be selling unlocked ones but these people overcharge by taking advantage of the low supply of unlocked phones?
    All unlocked phones I have purchased soon after release have been branded to a carrier but unlocked so they have sources to obtain phones in bulk from either RIM or at&t.
    My BB Bold is/was branded to Vodafone but unlocked. You will find competitive prices but research first.
    07-28-10 09:21 AM
    All unlocked phones I have purchased soon after release have been branded to a carrier but unlocked so they have sources to obtain phones in bulk from either RIM or at&t.
    My BB Bold is/was branded to Vodafone but unlocked. You will find competitive prices but research first.
    Ok. Makes sense. Will be sure to look around. Thanks a mill for the help.
    07-28-10 09:30 AM
    One last question guys,
    Would buying an unlocked phone void my warranty?
    07-28-10 09:34 AM
    One last question guys,
    Would buying an unlocked phone void my warranty?
    Warranty with who?
    07-28-10 10:09 AM
    Warranty with who?
    With RIM..
    07-28-10 11:02 AM
    07-28-10 11:11 AM
    With RIM..
    The warranty will be with who you get it from and that MobilCity has been up a few weeks now waiting for you to come back as soon as they have them in stock.
    07-28-10 11:19 AM
    The warranty will be with who you get it from and that MobilCity has been up a few weeks now waiting for you to come back as soon as they have them in stock.
    And the MobileCity one lists AT&T for the warranty.
    07-28-10 01:26 PM
    RIM's warranty on the phone is for manufacturing defects. unlocking doesnt void the warranty. attempting to debrand or disassemble the phone does.
    07-29-10 01:33 AM
    One word: ebay
    07-29-10 08:28 AM
    One word: ebay
    I wouldn't go on ebay for international purchases of something like this.

I know I never would sell Big ticket items outside of north America on ebay to be wary of scammers doing a false claim back months later. due to shipping.
    07-29-10 07:27 PM
    There's no use worrying about that anymore. Service is being pulled in the UAE.

AFP: UAE says it will suspend some BlackBerry services
    08-01-10 03:24 AM
    Guess I'm going to have to get an Android phone after all
    08-01-10 04:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD