View Poll Results: Are you having audio problems with your 9800?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

80 58.82%
  • No

56 41.18%
    Put 380 songs on my 16 gig card and no problems. Sounds good on my bluetooth car kit and bluetooth headphones and my Bose headphones. I must of got lucky and got a good one.
    08-22-10 06:01 PM
    I just think the overall audio of the phone is poor. The speakers are weak for playing music, the speakerphone is bad, and the earpiece volume is too low. The Bold 9000 is still the king of audio IMO.
    Last edited by donnation; 08-23-10 at 07:58 AM.
    08-22-10 08:26 PM
    I just think the overall audio of the phone is poor. The speakers are weak FTP playing music, the speakerphone is bad, and the earpiece volume is too low. The Bold 9000 is still the king of audio IMO.
    I have to agree here. This phones speaker just doesnt compare.
    08-22-10 08:35 PM
    Exactly the same problems, plus TWO OTHER! The top slider didn't fit snug on the bottom part, checked all 4 phones in one AT&T store, they all looked the same. Also, the first two didn't charge wright, the little lightning bolt on the battery came on and off, leading to a 6 to 7 hours charge (and YES, AT&T service support, I have tried to fit it in the jack better, also used 3 wall chargers, 2 car chargers and 2 laptops, I AM NOT A CHILD, thanks). 4 Torches from 3 AT&T stores later, I'm ready to call it quits for now. If AT&T wants my bussiness for another 2 years they will have to do better than that. Metalic sound, both on speaker, headphones and handset...weak on speaker and handset. Although I had the battery problem only on my first 2 Torches, the sound issue was consistent on all 4...I am returning the 4th Torch tomorrow and I'm NOT getting a 5th one. Really sad to go back to my awful iphone (which I was so looking forward to get rid of) until they fix it...
    Last edited by Andrei3323; 08-24-10 at 09:04 PM.
    08-24-10 08:19 PM
    I am pretty sure there is a fault with a large batch (if not all) of these devices with the tin sound. I am on my second device because of this. Both devices have the same problem. The rep in the store tried a 3rd device which also had the same issue.

She was not able to hear the issue, but other male reps were. So it seems the issue only occurs with deeper voices or male voices. That might explain why not everyone can hear it or complains about it.

Unbelievable that this managed to pass QA from both RIM and AT&T. Anyway from what I read its apparently fixed in the next OS but AT&T has no knowledge of this...hopefully this will become an offical release soon!
    08-25-10 03:38 PM
    I was so excited about purchasing this device, it does NOT compare to my BOLD 9000. The sound is awful. I have the volume all of the way up on now since I missed two calls with the thing within feet of me. Who knew that I would have to turn the device over for the sound to emulate from it. I just realized that the sound comes from the earplug jack... for real RIM? Come on!

Does anyone have a real solution? I guess it is back to the store to see if I can swap another. I am almost tempted to return to my Bold... baby I miss you... *sniff*
    08-25-10 07:44 PM
    Yeaa my 9700 was better but the Torch speakers do the job and get it done.
    08-25-10 08:48 PM
    This should be a simple software fix IMO. I have a new 9800 and i am having the same very annoying problem with very "tinny/raspy" feedback of my own voice on all calls.

I can hear the other caller just fine and they can hear me as well. The problem is that the feedback of my own voice on the call is HORRIBLE!

Almost every phone ever made has this feedback and it's called "sidetone". If you Wikipedia the term, you will find it there explained. Landlines have great sidetone. You can hear yourself in the earpiece of the handset along with the other caller. Without it, we would be shouting all the time because if you can't hear yourself, you have a tendency to talk louder. Same reason why people on airplanes wearing noise cancelling headphones tend to talk much louder than they need to. They can't hear themselves talking... Same reason radio DJ's wear headphones where they can hear their own voice along with the guests and other callers... This is audio 101... RIM engineers, are you listening?

So everything that has been said about the 9800's crappy "sidetone" ... "tinny", "raspy", etc, is absolutely correct. I would think this is a relatively simple software fix, but until RIM gets their act together, this is a non-starter for this phone. I've only had my phone for a week, but mine is going back tomorrow for a refund. All the demo's in the store sounded the same when i went back today to check.

On top of it all, the max volume is weak and the speakerphone is too...

My Pearl 8100 has much better sound quality than this thing. That phone has excellent "sidetone", pleanty of volume when i need it and a great speakerphone.

The 9800 has lots of potential, but these issues are simply unacceptable. This should have been caught in beta testing, but for now, I hope RIM is listening... If they can't fix this issue quick, this phone is toast I'm afraid.
    Last edited by bjm007; 09-07-10 at 11:56 PM.
    09-07-10 11:41 PM
    Tinny sound was fixed 100% in .161 and remains fixed in the much-improved .214 update. Volume also seems a bit louder in .214. No complaints here - listening to music at my desk using the Torch speakers and it sounds good. Call quality is perfect.
    09-08-10 09:00 AM
    Tinny sound was fixed 100% in .161 and remains fixed in the much-improved .214 update. Volume also seems a bit louder in .214. No complaints here - listening to music at my desk using the Torch speakers and it sounds good. Call quality is perfect.
    As I mentioned in my post, the call quality (me hearing the the caller and the caller hearing me) is generally pretty good, although the phone lacks sufficient volume to use in a noisy environment. Playing music is reasonably ok as well...

The problem is the "tinny", "raspy", "buzzy" SIDETONE, which is absolutely the worst i have ever experienced on any phone I have ever used or owwned. If you're not sure what we're all talking about, please go to Wikipedia and look up "sidetone". It will explain the issue. All of the 9800 phones at my AT&T dealer have the same problem and all the store staff have heard exactly what we're talking about and admit there is a big problem with the sidetone on this phone.

As for the software version issue you mentioned, I already have .161 and still have all the problems that the people in this thread are experiencing with the lack of clear sidetone.

After connecting my phone to the Blackberry website, it tells me that .161 is the most current software version available for the Torch.

What is .214 and where did you get it?
    Last edited by bjm007; 09-08-10 at 02:07 PM.
    09-08-10 01:59 PM
    As I mentioned in my post, the call quality (me hearing the the caller and the caller hearing me) is fine. Playing music is fine...

The problem is the "tinny", "raspy", "buzzy" SIDETONE, which is absolutely the worst i have ever heard on any phone I have ever used or owwned. If you're not sure what we're all talking about, please go to Wikipedia and look up "sidetone". It will explain the issue. All of the phones at my AT&T dealer have the same problem and all the store staff have heard exactly what we're talking about and admit there is a big problem with the sidetone on this phone.

As for the software version issue you mentioned, I already have .161 and still have all the problems that the people in this thread are experiencing with the lack of clear sidetone.

After connecting my phone to the Blackberry website, it tells me that .161 is the most current software version available for the Torch.

.214 is a leaked OS.....look on the main page or in the OS thread for it. I haven't loaded it, but it's gotten great feedback. Supposed to fix some of the annoying bugs and such.
    09-08-10 02:07 PM
    As I mentioned in my post, the call quality (me hearing the the caller and the caller hearing me) is generally pretty good, although the phone lacks sufficient volume to use in a noisy environment. Playing music is reasonably ok as well...

The problem is the "tinny", "raspy", "buzzy" SIDETONE, which is absolutely the worst i have ever experienced on any phone I have ever used or owwned. If you're not sure what we're all talking about, please go to Wikipedia and look up "sidetone". It will explain the issue. All of the 9800 phones at my AT&T dealer have the same problem and all the store staff have heard exactly what we're talking about and admit there is a big problem with the sidetone on this phone.

I don't think I've heard of a single person using .161 that didn't have the "tinny" sound fixed. I know exactly what you're talking about and participated in the discussion about it weeks ago when the Torch was first released - and then when .161 became available and fixed it.

I've heard plenty of .141 users say .214 also fixes the tinny sound - and having used .214 for 2 days now I have not heard the tinny sound.

More here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/off...ndings-525148/
    09-08-10 02:35 PM
    Installed 214 and it seems to fix the tinny/raspy thing... =)

Overall volume (even at max) is still weak, but the phone works much better with 214.

Even the browser is better...

Thanks for the suggestion
    09-09-10 07:10 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD