Research In Motion's (RIM)much-awaited and talked about Blackberry Torch 9800 is out. The company's first smartphone to run on its Blackberry 6 operating system and Web browser is creating lot of excitement.

The Canadian company's first slider smartphone offers plenty of improvements over the older BlackBerry models, and RIM is also promising to roll out the new OS as an upgrade for many popular models.

However, the new Blackberry device has also disappointed some who have termed the launch as a catch-up attempt by the company rather than breaking any new ground.

Here's what disappoints analysts and reviewers in the new Blackberry Torch 9800.

1. Processor
    At a time when most flagship smartphones have a 1 GHz processor, BlackBerry Torch's 624 MHz processor from Marvel makes it appear pale. Some reviews have blamed the device's sluggish performance on the processor.

2. Display

3. No new Touch

If you want to know more, you can get them here!~~
    08-10-10 04:07 AM
    What a waste of time !!!!!!!!!!!
    If you value your time don't bother reading
    08-10-10 04:30 AM
    Sounds like another pissed off iPhone 4 owner! LOL!
    08-10-10 05:01 AM
    Nothing new to see here.
    08-10-10 05:06 AM
    And he posted it on another blackberry forum I watch. Guess he wanted to make sure nobody missed it. What a maroon.
    08-10-10 05:46 AM
    Research In Motion's (RIM)much-awaited and talked about Blackberry Torch 9800 is out. {snip}
    If you put a slice of ham and a slice of swiss cheese between two pieces of bread, you will have a ham and swiss sandwich.
    08-10-10 05:53 AM
    I didn't click the link the OP posted, but I've seen the "review".
    This **** getting real old, man.
    I look @ everything as the "glass 1/2 full".
    I chose to see what the Torch does, instead of what it doesn't.
    I'm freakin JACKED.......
    The suppliers I use for my contracting business don't drive the fastest trucks, they don't sport 3-piece suits....but they're good, take care of me and are loyal, like I am to them.
    Pretty much sum's up my RIM/Torch attitude as well.
    08-10-10 06:58 AM
    sounds like another pissed off iphone 4 owner! Lol!
    +1

:d :d :d
    08-10-10 07:14 AM
    1. Processor
    Those 1ghz snapdragons don't come cheap, and I'm not talking about money. The more processing power, the more battery drain. I'd MUCH rather have a phone that can handle anything thrown at it and still last more than a day than have a phone that can do more than needed and only last 6 hours. RIM may be slower to adopt new tech, but they know how to handle battery drain.

2. Display
    The display is a little weak, but at 3.2 inches, you can't even notice a real difference.

Also, not all phone users want to carry around a 5 inch phone in their pocket. I would never buy a phone with a bigger screen than 3.5 inches.

3. No new Touch
    What do you expect them to add? Touch has pretty much been mastered at this point. I'm glad they didn't over do it with the touch crap. Pinch to Zoom is the best and only touch feature you really need.

4. Storage
    8gbs is plenty of space out of the box. I would have liked to see 8gb on board, but I'm okay with 4. Add in a 32GB SD card and you have more memory than the iPhone. I already have a 32GB card, so I don't care what is included with this phone. Some people prefer 32GB onboard while others like having an SD card. To each his own, but neither is bad.

5. Battery
    While I agree they should have gone with the bigger battery, this battery is fine. BlackBerrys handle battery life better than any other smart phone out there. To bring this up as a shortcoming proves you know nothing about what you are talking about.

6. Video
    HDMI is the most overrated option on a phone. You need a special cable to use the thing which means you need to carry the phone and the cable around with you. If you are at home, you mine as well just use your laptop. I honestly see NO advantage to having an HDMI port on a phone.

The Front Facing camera would be nice, but its useless unless AT&T starts allowing it over 3g. Only having it over WiFi is junk. At this point Front Facing Camera's are not ready for prime time.

7. Games
    RIM isn't marketing the phone as a gaming device. They aren't targeting that audience in any way.

8. App World
    BlackBerry App World has a long way to go, but RIM has made some development changes to help that. Of those 140,000 Apple apps, AT LEAST 60% are complete junk (maybe even 75%). App World 2.0 has improved a great deal and hopefully we see developers hop onboard now that carrier billing has been added and its a bit easier to develop apps for BB.
    08-10-10 07:38 AM
    Research In Motion's (RIM)much-awaited and talked about Blackberry Torch 9800 is out. The company's first smartphone to run on its Blackberry 6 operating system and Web browser is creating lot of excitement.

The Canadian company's first slider smartphone offers plenty of improvements over the older BlackBerry models, and RIM is also promising to roll out the new OS as an upgrade for many popular models.

However, the new Blackberry device has also disappointed some who have termed the launch as a catch-up attempt by the company rather than breaking any new ground.

Here's what disappoints analysts and reviewers in the new Blackberry Torch 9800.

1. Processor
    At a time when most flagship smartphones have a 1 GHz processor, BlackBerry Torch's 624 MHz processor from Marvel makes it appear pale. Some reviews have blamed the device's sluggish performance on the processor.

2. Display

3. No new Touch

If you want to know more, you can get them here!~~

Let's see, you joined crackberry this month and you are telling us how crappy the phone is. Nice.
    08-10-10 07:41 AM
    Let's see, you joined crackberry this month and you are telling us how crappy the phone is. Nice.
    Ha ha ha.....classic! Already an authority. Quick study
    08-10-10 07:55 AM
    Zzzzzzzzz.......
    08-10-10 08:05 AM
    @anastasiophan +1
    THANK YOU for all that you said..
    08-10-10 09:08 AM
    Another big YAWN thread. Please move on folks.
    08-10-10 09:13 AM
    I would love to know where everyone bought those "rose colored" glasses. They seem to work wonders!
    08-10-10 09:17 AM
    1. Processor
    Those 1ghz snapdragons don't come cheap, and I'm not talking about money. The more processing power, the more battery drain. I'd MUCH rather have a phone that can handle anything thrown at it and still last more than a day than have a phone that can do more than needed and only last 6 hours. RIM may be slower to adopt new tech, but they know how to handle battery drain.

2. Display
    The display is a little weak, but at 3.2 inches, you can't even notice a real difference.

Also, not all phone users want to carry around a 5 inch phone in their pocket. I would never buy a phone with a bigger screen than 3.5 inches.

3. No new Touch
    What do you expect them to add? Touch has pretty much been mastered at this point. I'm glad they didn't over do it with the touch crap. Pinch to Zoom is the best and only touch feature you really need.

4. Storage
    8gbs is plenty of space out of the box. I would have liked to see 8gb on board, but I'm okay with 4. Add in a 32GB SD card and you have more memory than the iPhone. I already have a 32GB card, so I don't care what is included with this phone. Some people prefer 32GB onboard while others like having an SD card. To each his own, but neither is bad.

5. Battery
    While I agree they should have gone with the bigger battery, this battery is fine. BlackBerrys handle battery life better than any other smart phone out there. To bring this up as a shortcoming proves you know nothing about what you are talking about.

6. Video
    HDMI is the most overrated option on a phone. You need a special cable to use the thing which means you need to carry the phone and the cable around with you. If you are at home, you mine as well just use your laptop. I honestly see NO advantage to having an HDMI port on a phone.

The Front Facing camera would be nice, but its useless unless AT&T starts allowing it over 3g. Only having it over WiFi is junk. At this point Front Facing Camera's are not ready for prime time.

7. Games
    RIM isn't marketing the phone as a gaming device. They aren't targeting that audience in any way.

8. App World
    BlackBerry App World has a long way to go, but RIM has made some development changes to help that. Of those 140,000 Apple apps, AT LEAST 60% are complete junk (maybe even 75%). App World 2.0 has improved a great deal and hopefully we see developers hop onboard now that carrier billing has been added and its a bit easier to develop apps for BB.
    ....+1.......
    08-10-10 09:22 AM
    Ha ha ha.....classic! Already an authority. Quick study
    He probably works for a competitor and either he or the competitor feel threatened by the 9800. Or, maybe he has too much time on his hands until middle school reopens!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-10 09:30 AM
    This sh*t's getting real old, man.
    The suppliers I use for my contracting business don't drive the fastest trucks, they don't sport 3-piece suits....but they're good, take care of me and are loyal, like I am to them.
    i agree 100% with you, if you keep lookin at the negatives y the **** r u even lookin at the device to begin with...if nitpicking is all u want to do then don't buy the phone...my wife has and iphone i have a blackberry she loves her iphone and will never use a blackberry i love my blackberry and tried using an iphone and took it back within 2 days...people like different things...if you really hate the phone email rim...personally i've tested the phone a couple times now and i love it i think its a great improvement...i think there should be a new thread created here for blackberry bashing because obviously these people are not going to create their own forum...
    08-10-10 02:17 PM
    Hey OP: Just dont BUY the cotton picking thing!
    08-10-10 03:04 PM

2. Display

5. Battery

6. Video

These are the only points I care to address.

The Display, I do agree with it being a Cheap out, NOT the size, the size appears to be perfect to me from the side by side comparisons but the resolution leaves something to be desired, though I don't need full HD as that is a little over the top but 480x640 or full VGA would have been nice,

The Battery on this phone is actually the thing that makes me most apprehensive, since I have to wait for it to come to Canada anyway I might end up pre ordering a extended battery for it.

I couldn't agree more about HDMI out, my company's customer service manager and myself had this discussion via email as he was poking fun at my excitement over a new BB when it "didn't even have HDMI out" and I was saying WHY would I use it, if it was wireless HDMI out that would be AWESOME and I'd want it, but anything that needs me to carry extra wires sucks.

Front Facing Camera would be great to have on the hardware side, not sure how it would really improve the over all experience, but it would kill off the Apple Ads which are soo bad, normally Apple has the best/funniest ads on TV, the facetime ads make iPhones look like they are tools for the mentally ill
    08-10-10 03:09 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have HDMI out and a Front Facing camera, but it doesn't bother me AT ALL that the Torch doesn't have these features. They are useless to anyone but statboys that want to say they have a better phone because of x and y.
    08-10-10 03:45 PM
    If you put a slice of ham and a slice of swiss cheese between two pieces of bread, you will have a ham and swiss sandwich.
    Dude your posts crack my *** up. Lol
    08-10-10 04:19 PM
    This **** getting real old, man.
    Sounds good to me

1. Processor

2. Display

3. No new Touch

4. Storage

5. Battery

6. Video

7. Games

8. App World
    I haven't seen the screen in person but judging by previous rim phones like the 9000, 9700, I don't think i'll be having any problems with it.

No new touch? I don't really get this point? Probably cause I've never really owned a touch screen mobile before. If it does pinch and zoom that's fine by me and didn't they tout a new touch feature anyways? The double tap so the text auto zooms in and fills the web browser so you don't have to keep moving the screen. I thought that was clever and not a gimmick.

Any phone that gives you internal memory plus the advantages of external memory wins in my book especially if they get the implementation right. Apple fails on that every iteration that they've done - I don't get their arrogance on this one! It's where form of function shines brightly.

I have no problems with the blackberry battery. One thing you can count on with RIM is that they'll maximise that battery as much as they can. A bigger battery is always a plus but weight is always consideration especially with the torch being a tad heavier in its current form.

I love HDMI, my vado HD camera has HDMI but there's a reason for that!
    I just don't see the blackberry torch as one that even necessitates having that feature until HD video comes a knocking on a RIM phone. Sure we could possibly take advantage of photo slideshows and Music but really, do you see yourself doing that with those current features? The iphone, a self-proclaimed multimedia portable 'computer' doesn't even have one!

Front facing cameras have always been a gimmick for me. I've used it 3 times to make phone calls and neither have really lasted any longer than a minute. (the phone rates are ridiculous) being an at&t exclusive for the time being is also another reason its not on there too. You kinda figure RIM would have a front-facing camera by now but then I'm just glad they've put a reasonable camera on the back, haha! I just don't see business individuals taking advantage of that when you can have conference calls anyways. It's more a vanity thing. If i really REALLY need it. i do have a webcam on my laptop/netbook that i hardly use. I wouldn't dream of using my front facing camera on my phone now whilst roaming ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) and those prices drop, its not a big deal.

As for games, the torch may be lacking a dedicated GPU chip but if devs find ways of making some awesome casual games on there by all means. go ahead! I have yet to use app world but in general apps aren't the biggest priority when it comes to phones but if something interest me, then its great to have.
    08-10-10 04:55 PM
    1. Processor

2. Display

3. No new Touch

4. Storage

5. Battery

6. Video

7. Games

8. App World
    great response to that stupid OPost, i noticed that all or most negative posts are made by new comers to this site, they don't know nothing about beauty of blackberry, cmon get a life and hang around the forums whatever phones you have...

one more thing i want to add here: we just can't compare blackberry devices with other phones..period !!! its all other phones at one side and only blackberry phones on other side.
    08-10-10 05:06 PM
    **Crickets Chirping** zzzzzz............
    08-10-10 07:01 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD